Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclays Aviator Red 🔴 $5K SL after Reconsideration! 😮✈️

tag
LADave
Established Contributor

Barclays Aviator Red 🔴 $5K SL after Reconsideration! 😮✈️

Earlier this month I applied for an AAdvantage Aviator Red during my app spree and got declined, before I applied for a Bread Cashback Amex as my "last" spree card.

Well, I got the Barclays denial letter earlier today and thought "Why not?," and called their reconsideration line. The denial reasons were too many accounts opened, too many recent applications, and excessive credit applications. To my surprise (and delight), the operator focused on the second reason for too many recent applications, which she interpreted as recent applications with Barclays. The only other time I had ever applied for a Barclays card was for an Apple co-branded card - which would have been about 9 years ago or so. (I almost forgot about the Barclays "Apple Card" that I didn't get.)

After a 20-minute call that sometimes felt like waiting for a loan approval at a car dealership, I came out approved for a $5,000 SL. They were concerned about late payments from more than 3 years ago on a shared car/car loan when my partner had been ill, and Barclays seemed satisfied with that explanation. The most unexpected question I got was why my oldest credit card account was "only" 9 years old. I explained that I wasn't using credit cards for a few years before I saw the light. (It seems like they're looking for longer credit card histories for the Aviator Red - perhaps relative to the age of the applicant? - or at least they're giving longer histories bonus points.)

(I was inspired to say that I hadn't been using credit cards for a few years after seeing a YouTube by Brandon Boyd about the Barclays reconsideration line, and his application for the Aviator Business card. He was a former David Ramsey coach who took Ramsey's advice about not applying for credit cards, until he didn't. 😂 It might not be the answer I would have given a week ago, but it's nonetheless true.)

This card was been on my wish list for several months now, and I'm glad to finally get it. It's my most substantial SUB that I can remember to date (60,000 American Airlines AAviator miles after making the first purchase). It's technically my first real "travel rewards card," although I got a lot of travel back in the day on an Amex green card, and I currently have a WF Autograph. It's also got 15 months at 0% APR, which will come in handy for a large purchase I'll be making in the next month or so, and maybe a balance transfer. And the first year's annual fee is waived. I'll probably downgrade it after the first year, but for now I'll enjoy the perks.

My denial letter shows a TU credit score of 722, which matches my FICO 8 score on Discover. I had 7 hard inquiries with TU before the application, including 1 from Capital One two days the Barclays application, and two from a car dealer last year (so probably only 5 affected the score/application). AAoA 2 years 11 months, AoOA 9 years 3 months, 16% utilization.

Edits: I've corrected the number of inquiries I had with TU, added labels, and cleaned up the post for readability.

24 REPLIES 24
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

Re: Barclays Aviator Red 🔴 $5K SL after Reconsideration! 😮✈️

I'm so glad for you @LADave that your Wish List card you wanted so much is finally yours!

That's a great effort on your part to called in after the denial letter and recon with them. My experience with barclays is been they are the absolute BEST interrogators when confronted with answering their biting questions, but after what seems like no chance they come back with positive results overturning a denial into an approval.

Congratulations and fine decision!

Message 2 of 25
LADave
Established Contributor

@CreditMagic7 thank you! I've heard the Barclays reconsideration line can be something else, and I wasn't disappointed. I was suspecting the lady on the other end was about to drop some bad news just before she told me I was approved with a $5K SL. 😂

Message 3 of 25
SweetCreditObsession
Valued Contributor

Congratulations 🎊 on overcoming that denial and getting a decent SL!

Thanks too for the bg info. Those DPs are very helpful.

(+102) | (+106) | (+151)
| TU Fico 9: ? | Exp Fico 9: ? | EQ Fico 9: ?| EQ Fico 8 Bankcard: TBA

Initial Goal: Min. 740 w/all CRAs - Met
Interim Goal: 780 w/all CRAs - Met
Current Goal(s): Min. 800 w/all CRAs
Gardening Until: ??/??/202?| Last App: 10/20/2023

Message 4 of 25
JoeRockhead
Senior Contributor

Nice SL and approval, nicely done, congratulations! 

Message 5 of 25
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Congrats on the approval and reconsideration.   One of my old favorite things to do was recon including barclay's back in the days of rebuilding.  They ask the questions and as long as you have good answers and the rule isn't set in stone they will actually consider and hear a person out and have the ability to overturn a denial most of the time depending on a hard rule or not.  Rememeber back in the day would be on with Chase 30-45 misn at some times before the 5/24 rule doing recons.  Enjoy the card!

Message 6 of 25
Yasselife
Valued Contributor

Congratulations on your approval, @LADave 

Message 7 of 25
LADave
Established Contributor

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

Congrats on the approval and reconsideration.   One of my old favorite things to do was recon including barclay's back in the days of rebuilding.  They ask the questions and as long as you have good answers and the rule isn't set in stone they will actually consider and hear a person out and have the ability to overturn a denial most of the time depending on a hard rule or not.  Rememeber back in the day would be on with Chase 30-45 misn at some times before the 5/24 rule doing recons.  Enjoy the card!

This is very good to know. I had called the Citi reconsideration line last year when I got denied for a Premier card, and the impression I got was that there wasn't any wiggle room for an approval on my application. (I now believe I would have been in better shape for it had I not applied for my WF Autograph card a few months before.)

It's going to be at least 18 months before I'm under 5/24 again 😂 but if I ever need to call Chase for reconsideration, I'll be ready!

Message 8 of 25
Hex
Valued Contributor

Nice recon approvals- Congratulations. 

Message 9 of 25
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@LADave, Congrats on the successful recon Approval!

Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.