Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclays Sallie Mae dropped my APR from 13.99 to 9.99

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Barclays Sallie Mae dropped my APR from 13.99 to 9.99

I mentioned in another thread but I have only had them for about 5 months but call the backdoor listed here and
asked if I could get my rate lowered. 13.99 is their lowest advertised rate for the SM card but I saw
someone got it lowered to 12.99 so I though what the heck.

After 3 tranfers that lady checked what offers there were and to my SURPRISE there was an offer to drop my APR down
4 point! and another for a SP CLI from 6k (org CL) to  8500.

I took them both and she said call back in 4 months (not 6..) to see what other offers there might be.

Spread the word

*Edit* a few ppl asked me which # I called and when.

Barclays: 866-205-5973 (credit analyst 24 hours)

I called around 12:34 noon EST and got transferred 3 times.

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
galahad15
Valued Contributor

Re: Barclays Sallie Mae dropped my APR from 13.99 to 9.99

Congrats!  Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Excellent!

Message 3 of 23
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

I had a similar experience with Barclays recently. On Sunday I got my Apple Rewards APR lowered 4 percent and a $950 CLI. I've only had the card since late April. The 5th statement hasn't even generated yet. 

Message 4 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow! Great info. I haven't tried the backdoor CLI trick because my card is at the 13.99 rate. This is good stuff!

Message 5 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Wow! Great info. I haven't tried the backdoor CLI trick because my card is at the 13.99 rate. This is good stuff.

reply.

Yes. Strange you can lower your APR lower than their lowest advertised rate..

This deserves alot of research....i Know ppl have success with Citi in this area too
but the first I heard about it with Barclays (SM)

Message 6 of 23
thelethargicage
Valued Contributor

Woah, I just tried the APR reduction trick and not only did I get my APR reduced to 9.99% but I also got a $4K CLI!

Message 7 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats !! Thanks for the info . I opened a SM card couple of months back with 13.99% APR . I thought they will not go below that . Seeing many people have reduced the APR's below this rate , i will call them  once my card ages to 5 months .

Message 8 of 23
-Cal-
Valued Contributor

Congrats, I think I was the one who got the APR down to 12.99%, I will be calling in a few months to get that down to 9.99% or more! 

Message 9 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@thelethargicage wrote:

Woah, I just tried the APR reduction trick and not only did I get my APR reduced to 9.99% but I also got a $4K CLI!

My 6th statement cuts tomorrow. If I don't get some CLI action, I think I'll try this.

Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.