cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclays Wyndham Denied then Approved after Second Recon!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Barclays Wyndham Denied then Approved after Second Recon!!

I applied for the Barclays Wyndham Rewards Visa card was denied instantly. I called the recon line at 1-866-408-4064 after the denial. The rep did not even try to reconsider; he simply stated that the accound was denied because of my student loan obligations. Currently my student loans are in deferrment, my Transunion score is 734, I have 9% utilization, and no negatives. This guy would not hear anything that I had to say and just stated that they will send a letter.

With my never giving up attitude, I called again today. This time a lady answer the line and stated, "I see that your application was denied; would you like me to review and reconsider the application to see if we can turn it into an approval?"  She reviewed it, asked a couple of questions about income, and came back and stated that my application was approved with a credit line of $2500!  

I wanted to share this story because it is important to NEVER give up! I think sometimes it just depends on the person on the other end and your persistence with getting the application approved. The first rep didn't attempt to reconsider my app, while the second rep objective was try to get me approved. 

So I started on a little app spree and that has turned into a big spree: Wyndham Rewards $2,500, Citi Simplicity $6,700, BOA Travel Rewards $6000, CLI Citi AA Advantage $6,000, CLI Citi Diamond $6,000, and Chase Hyatt (currently in reconsideration, waiting on Equafax to remove a fraud alert off of my credit report). 

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
cuthatcard
Frequent Contributor

Re: Barclays Wyndham Denied then Approved after Second Recon!!

Like your attitude and sticking with it ! 

Congrats,  great job, gives out what perseverance means ! 

FICO :November 2016
TU-761 EQ 756. EX - 749
No Baddies
QS1 -$2,000. Care Credit $9,600.00 CHASE Freedom $3,000.00 Discover IT $1,000.00
Inq TU 4 EQ 3 EX 2
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on the approval!  Barclays is one of the best with recon. Their reps at the backdoor number (at least the one I spoke to when I got my NFL card a couple of months ago) really do seem like they are trying hard to turn a denial into an approval. Barclay auto-denials can be for quirky reasons, like "too many new accounts" on mine when at the time I only had 2 new accounts in the last three years.

Message 3 of 9
pc01user
Frequent Contributor

Wow!  So persistence is the key. Congrats! Thanks for sharing !

Message 4 of 9
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

Congrats! Nice hotel card. I'm actually considering the wyndham card in the future. I like Barclays, I've been with them for about two years now. 

Current Scores 3/2016 Equifax 676 Transunion 697 Experian 648 Goal Scores: 720's accross the board. Gardening Goal: 3/2017
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats! Nice job on your recon! 😊

Message 6 of 9
JustBPatient
Established Contributor

Way to go!!  Congrats

Amex Gold =Amex ED 20k = Amex BCP 14k = Amex SPG Lux 2k = Arrival 2k = Ring 14k = BOA 321 30k = BOA BBR 10k = CSR 25k = Freedom 10k = Citi Simplicity 9k = Citi DC 5k = Citi DP 3k = DCVR IT 16k = DCVR IT(2) 10k = CAP1 QS 15k = NFCU CR24k/AE25k/CLOC 15k = BBVA 14k = Wells Plat. 5k = (2) US Bank Cash+ 13k, 18k = PenFed 17k

FICO scores TU 764 EX 739 EQ 745
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Barclays confuses me all the time.....they will deny a person with a fico score in the very good range 740 or above and very low utilization and a good payment history because of "too many new accounts" but approve a person with a 660 fico score and a very limited history. makes no sense! who would you trust more with credit? a person who's proved for years he or she can handle it or a newbie? 

Message 8 of 9
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

Some lenders are just so strange that's for sure
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.