Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best 2nd Credit Card? Update: PRG Approved

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Best 2nd Credit Card? Update: PRG Approved

Hi guys,

I’m a 20 year old student and I’ve had the Citi Thank You Preferred for Students credit card for roughly 6 months. I’ve used it responsibly and today was actually the first time I checked my FICO score via Discover’s Credit Score Card and I had a 750 from Experian. Which prompted me to think: when should I apply for my second credit card and which should it be?

I was thinking about waiting a full year before I applied for my second card, but I might apply for a second one in the next few months if it’s reasonable. I was leaning towards the AMEX Gold card, but then again, I’m not entirely sure where to look for a second card.

Thanks for any help!

Update: I just went on AMEX to see if I pre-qualified for any cards, and I got a pre-qualification for the Everyday Credit Card, the Gold Premier Rewards, and the BCE.

Mod note:  I've updated your subject to reflect your approval; feel free to change/edit if you would like.  --UB

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
LCC_mk14
Regular Contributor

Re: Best 2nd Credit Card?

Hello and welcome!

First off, congrats on your score and progress! I’m not much older than you and it really is exciting to see things grow and happen.

From my experience, Discover was a great choice. I had a capital one platinum as my first and then got the discover. It was a lower starting line and still is, but I like the company. I always have even when I’ve been frustrating. They have cash back cards that do rotating 5% categories and 1% all other purchases. They also like thinner profiles.

Though your profile is thin, you may want to think of rewards you would benefit from. Travel? Cashback? Once you can answer that, you can look to see what lenders offer in that realm.

From what I’ve heard, AMEX isn’t great for cashback. I can say thought their travel cards are great. Cashback would better on a discover or chase freedom.

In sum, look at what you want from a card. Disco and Amex like younger files. Chase may be hard to get in with at only 6 months. Since you have citi, these other banks are some of the other major issuers.

You can check Pre-Approvals and/or post info here on your credit file like income, utilization, and existing credit lines. People can help and share their own app experiences based on that data!

Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the help! Basically travel rewards are my priority, I live in New York but my friends and family are in Miami and Boston so I’m frequently flying up and down. Plus the bulk of my credit card purchases are on restaurants so it would be nice to get rewarded for those.
Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Definitely check pre-approvals, especially check with any financial institution you already have a relationship. Good luck

Message 4 of 16
LCC_mk14
Regular Contributor

I understand. The PRG has 3x MR points on flights and 2X on dining so that may be a good choice. However it isn’t a credit card, it’s a charge card, so it won’t do too much for your score right now but will build you a relationship with Amex to get a revolver.

Message 5 of 16
SomewhereIn505
Valued Contributor

@Anonymouswrote:
Thanks for the help! Basically travel rewards are my priority, I live in New York but my friends and family are in Miami and Boston so I’m frequently flying up and down. Plus the bulk of my credit card purchases are on restaurants so it would be nice to get rewarded for those.

Is there a particular airline your frequently use? If you use Delta, you might want one of AmEx SkyMiles cards. Citi has AAdvantage (American Airlines). Citi has a credit score available to non-citi card holders which may offer you some personal offers. Then there is always Jet Blue, and Southwest.

3/16/18 FICO9 TU-700 EQ-669 EX-716
6/26/18 FICO9 TU-750, EQ-672, EX-789

Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, American. I actually orginally planned on building credit with the goal of getting the platinum AAdvantage credit card, but my girlfriend who is my age applied a few weeks ago with basically an identical credit report as the one that I have currently and got declined due to a thin file, so I was planning on getting a second credit card first with the intention of getting the AAdvantage card as my third credit card down the line.
Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can't speak if you'll get approved or not, but the Barclays Uber is perfect for you. 4% back on restaurants and 3% back on travel. I love the card. 

Message 8 of 16
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymouswrote:

IMHO a good card for someone with those travel routes is one of the Barclays Jet Blue cards. 

Barclays is a little weird though.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 9 of 16
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymouswrote:
Yes, American. I actually orginally planned on building credit with the goal of getting the platinum AAdvantage credit card, but my girlfriend who is my age applied a few weeks ago with basically an identical credit report as the one that I have currently and got declined due to a thin file, so I was planning on getting a second credit card first with the intention of getting the AAdvantage card as my third credit card down the line.

I recently went to use my AAdvantage points and found they were fairly worthless... less than half a cent each. While my Jet Blue points seem to be worth around 1.25 to 1.5 cents.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.