Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Buy CITI

tag
beezer32
Regular Contributor

Best Buy CITI

2 years post CH7 discharge and finally in with a Citi Bank product. Not that I ever tried anything from Citi though because I know they aren't BK friendly.

Approved online for the Best Buy store card (gave me a choice between that and the Visa) at an initial SL of $2000. I was able to use it instantly to purchase a Tom Tom GPS for an upcoming trip!

Time of app:

Fico-8: TU-647 EX-654 EQ-657 (Not sure who they pulled yet). Overall UTI: 34%. 1BK showing, 4 inquiries on all 3 CRAs. $63k income.

Hope this helps someone! Smiley Happy
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
CountryLivin
Valued Contributor

Re: Best Buy CITI

Congratulations!

Message 2 of 15
padme
Established Contributor

congrats should've picked the visa though they have cash back specials all the time, right kow it's 5% on gas and travel I think.
Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats. Good card to have from what I've seen. Reports like clockwork every month when you're in good standing. My only complaints with our Best Buy citi cards are they are very stingy with the cli and they won't let you change it to a different card in the future if you would rather have simplicity or dc. I wanted the American Airlines citi card and they wouldn't change the Best Buy but offered to change our simplicity. That made me angry so we just apped for a new card and get the AA by itself. Now I have 4 citi cards and I think they are great to deal with customer service wise.
Message 4 of 15
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Nice pick up, Suprised you didnt get the Visa. Very rare for someone to offer choice between the store card and visaSmiley Wink. ENJOYSmiley Happy
Message 5 of 15
beezer32
Regular Contributor

Wait just a second... So you guys are saying if they offered me the choice, I actually HAD a choice? I opted for the store card because I didn't think I'd be approved for the VISA. Please tell me I'm not a dummy. Lol

Message 6 of 15
JoeLuvsHisCredit
Valued Contributor

@beezer32 wrote:

Wait just a second... So you guys are saying if they offered me the choice, I actually HAD a choice? I opted for the store card because I didn't think I'd be approved for the VISA. Please tell me I'm not a dummy. Lol

Congrats on your approval

Yes you had a opition visa or the store card sorry

Message 7 of 15
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Yes beezer, you DID actually have the choice and would have been given the Visa. Maybe call up Citi and explain why you didnt take visa and maybe theyll let you change.
Message 8 of 15
ScottsdaleDad
Contributor

I was approved yesterday and was given the same option. I picked the Visa, and was approved for $1,000, 18 months post BK7. I never burned Citi. I don't know which credit report they pulled, but I think it was Experian. Experian Fico scores are my lowest with all scores below 625. For data points, my utilization is about 90%, 6 inquiries in the past 12 months, and no baddies since the bk. I have high income, which probably offset my negatives.

Does this approval get me in with other Citi cards down the road? I want the Costco card, but didn't think it was within reach for 2-3 more years. I wonder how long I should wait before applying for Costco?
Message 9 of 15
marty56
Super Contributor

@ScottsdaleDad wrote:
Does this approval get me in with other Citi cards down the road? I want the Costco card, but didn't think it was within reach for 2-3 more years. I wonder how long I should wait before applying for Costco?

I would wait before applying for Costco and any card for a year and IMHO yes it will help down the road.  If you have a local Citi branch in your area, I would go in and ask about your chances if you applied.  As long as you don't apply, it won't cost anything.

I recommend that people play it very conserative when it comes to applying for credit, unless you really need it.  Goes double if your CR has some major dings on it like mine did.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.