Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Big credit card approval Hel# ya

tag
iheartwings
Valued Contributor

Re: Big credit card approval Hel# ya

@Rmullens2208 wrote:

I was under the impression inquries only matter if your trying to buy a house and are all grouped as 1 inquiry for rate shopping is this whats holding my score down I really want a card I can use to buy big ticket items

@Cred4All wrote:

@Rmullens2208 wrote:

First I decided to try for the Milestone credit card then BOOM 300$ credit limit feeling high I jumped on a credit one credit card man another 300$ heck ya feeling bullet proof I tried for an american express platnium instant denial, Wells fargo propel instant denial, Chase saphire  instant denial, Barclay gold card 7 to 10 days message feeling good about that one. other denials  Cap one, us bank,discover,citi,Chevron,amazon,ebay,southwest, I may have missed one or 2 but the important are the two big approvals 

I'm trying to keep track, did you say you had 14-16 HP's, 140+ inquiries across 3 bureaus, only 2 approvals, and the other 12-14 were denials?  OP,  I 2nd the above feedback, glad you had an approval or two however agree you should continue cleaning up whatever is keeping the overall score down, and garden.  At this rate, probably another 1+ years in the garden for those inquiries.

OP,

Congratulations on your approvals. You've gotten some excellent advice, and gardening will open so many doors for you. Trust me. 

I wanted to add a comment about your impression related to inquiries counted as one. Another member already mentioned that inquiries over a certain threshold no longer affect your FICO score.  For FICO scoring, inquiries for loans within a 14 day period are grouped together as one, and this is only dependent on how those inquiries are coded (i.e., auto loan or mortgage).  This does not hold true for inquiries related to credit cards! Furthermore, this grouping really only pertains to how it's handled with credit scoring. Creditors have no way of knowing that xyz number of inquiries were necessarily for loan shopping unless the credit file is reviewed manually. 

I hope that helps you for your future application planning after you've spent some time in the garden (UncleB has the gate open and left the light on for you!). 

Message 31 of 39
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@iheartwings wrote:

@Rmullens2208 wrote:

I was under the impression inquries only matter if your trying to buy a house and are all grouped as 1 inquiry for rate shopping is this whats holding my score down I really want a card I can use to buy big ticket items

@Cred4All wrote:

@Rmullens2208 wrote:

First I decided to try for the Milestone credit card then BOOM 300$ credit limit feeling high I jumped on a credit one credit card man another 300$ heck ya feeling bullet proof I tried for an american express platnium instant denial, Wells fargo propel instant denial, Chase saphire  instant denial, Barclay gold card 7 to 10 days message feeling good about that one. other denials  Cap one, us bank,discover,citi,Chevron,amazon,ebay,southwest, I may have missed one or 2 but the important are the two big approvals 

I'm trying to keep track, did you say you had 14-16 HP's, 140+ inquiries across 3 bureaus, only 2 approvals, and the other 12-14 were denials?  OP,  I 2nd the above feedback, glad you had an approval or two however agree you should continue cleaning up whatever is keeping the overall score down, and garden.  At this rate, probably another 1+ years in the garden for those inquiries.

OP,

Congratulations on your approvals. You've gotten some excellent advice, and gardening will open so many doors for you. Trust me. 

I wanted to add a comment about your impression related to inquiries counted as one. Another member already mentioned that inquiries over a certain threshold no longer affect your FICO score.  For FICO scoring, inquiries for loans within a 14 day period are grouped together as one, and this is only dependent on how those inquiries are coded (i.e., auto loan or mortgage).  This does not hold true for inquiries related to credit cards! Furthermore, this grouping really only pertains to how it's handled with credit scoring. Creditors have no way of knowing that xyz number of inquiries were necessarily for loan shopping unless the credit file is reviewed manually. 

I hope that helps you for your future application planning after you've spent some time in the garden (UncleB has the gate open and left the light on for you!). 

Even a manual review may not show it. My HP for joining NFCU is not separated from my credit card app and CLI HPs. 

Message 32 of 39
iheartwings
Valued Contributor

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

@iheartwings wrote:

@Rmullens2208 wrote:

@Cred4All wrote:

@Rmullens2208 wrote:

Even a manual review may not show it. My HP for joining NFCU is not separated from my credit card app and CLI HPs. 

Agreed. My student loan refinance inquiry was coded as a Mortgage/Real Estate. 

Message 33 of 39
Hex
Valued Contributor

OP what you are doing is so bad for your credit I was wondering if you might not be pulling our legs with your story. If you aren’t then please stop applying for credit for one to two years. Read the rebuilding thread and spend time gardening. I’m happy you got approvals but with that many new inquires and having other maxed out cards you have to worry about even subprime card issuers closing your accounts. Please pay your balances down ASAP. I wish you only the best.
Message 34 of 39
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Congrats OP on your new approvals. They are a step in the right direction. I noticed you have been a member here for 10 years so im a little suprised at some of the rookie moves you made. That being said, those other cards/lenders are the cards you should strive to achieve but they take time and better credit to achieve. you need to use those subprime cards to get you to the next level snd those to the next. Use you cards, pay in full to keep your utilizstion low, let one card report a small balance. In a year, you will see improvement, maybe then venture out to check on prequals from Amex Discover or Cspitol One. You can do this, just time to read up on all the dos and dont and research the cards you want in your wallet. Best of luckSmiley Happy.

Message 35 of 39
Rmullens2208
Contributor

Thanks everyone I was one of those if its worth buying it's worth saving for people even tho I joined here 10 years ago I never really paid attention to the great things credit can do like renting a car buying a home I was a cash only kinda guy only in the last few years have I realized that it's pretty important I'll just wait till I have a 650 before I do another app @uncle b let me back in the garden club so I'll hang out there till I'm good and ready to get a wallet full of cards
Message 36 of 39
UncleB
Credit Mentor

There's already been one FSR (Friendly, Supportive, and Respectful) warning in this thread, so consider this warning #2.

Posts have been removed, and PMs have been sent where necessary.

Heads up... if there's a need for a third FSR warning I'll likely not bother with PMs.

--UB

Message 37 of 39
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

@Rmullens2208 wrote:
Thanks everyone I was one of those if its worth buying it's worth saving for people even tho I joined here 10 years ago I never really paid attention to the great things credit can do like renting a car buying a home I was a cash only kinda guy only in the last few years have I realized that it's pretty important I'll just wait till I have a 650 before I do another app @uncle b let me back in the garden club so I'll hang out there till I'm good and ready to get a wallet full of cards

Congrats on the approvals! Once your scores get into the mid 600's as you said, you'll be in a better place to get more (and better!) approvals. You mention that you have 4 cards, and that's plenty to optimize your scores. Just pay your balances down and work on getting the collections/derogatories handled. It may take a year or two, but by then the inquiries won't be weighing your scores down and you'll have history in place with your current cards which will help out on the AAoA front. Having less than a 9% balance on one card with zero on the rest will help even more!  @Uncle B is a great mentor and I'm certain his advice will lead you to the promise land of approvals from the likes of Chase, Citi, Amex or any other lender you may choose.

Best wishes for continued score growth!

Message 38 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you're a member to this forum with those low of scores, why would you even think you would get approved for anything? Stop running your credit, period! An inquiry doesnt hurt too much but a DENIAL definately makes a big impact during manual review and the fact you're maxing out your cards - that is keeping your credit score way down.. With all of those sub-prime credit cards you need to make certain you don't let a balance report..

At the least, you need to keep those two cards at 0-10% utilization and pay them in full each month. Don't run your credit anymore and comb through your credit report and see what's hurting you. Credit cards are not free money nor are they cheap loans so if you're getting them to spend and then pay the minimum you need to stay far away from lenders like milestone and creditone.

I don't recommend credit karma as a source of your credit score but it's an awesome source for your FREE report. CK will even tell you where you're being hurt the worst. Please please please no more inquiries and get yourself to the garden!

Message 39 of 39
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.