Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bmo Harris MasterCard approval

tag
jtw34240
Regular Contributor

Bmo Harris MasterCard approval

I applied for bmo Harris MasterCard and was approved for 5k limit. They pulled transunion my score was 739. Lots of inq and new accounts. But I've started closing lines I don't need store cards. Getting ready to close some comenity cards next. Pleased with the approval. They are not inquiry sensitive.
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
dbw79
Regular Contributor

Re: Bmo Harris MasterCard approval

Congrats on your approval. Out of curiosity, was it an instant approval? Also, do you mind stating how many inquiries you have and approximately how many new accounts, within the last 6 months to a year. Thank you.

Message 2 of 16
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Nice goingSmiley Happy Whats a Bmo Harris mc?
Message 3 of 16
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
Nice goingSmiley Happy Whats a Bmo Harris mc?

Canadian Bank that's USA HQ'd in Chicago area - that's the bank that issued the Diner's Club MasterCards we'all got 3 years ago until we shut them down by the number of apps. Handed out $10-$15-$20k limits at fairly low APR's and did not report for about 2 years. 

Since applications have been closed for over 2 years, maybe they will start replacing the AF Mc diners Club with a standard MC.... one can hope because I'll be closing my DC/MC the next time a AF is due. 

Message 4 of 16
jtw34240
Regular Contributor

Was not an instant approval. Went to underwriter. But they approved me. Lets just say that whatever amount of inq or new accounts you have it shouldn't be an issue. They are not new account sensitive or inquiry sensitive. From what i've seen stated about them they don't like derogatories, bankruptcy or high utilization. My utilization is really low below 10 percent margin. You must have a checking or savings account or be a customer of the bank to apply for their cards. This was told to me by their customer service department. I had to open a checking account with them. They are offering a $200 bonus for new accounts, you can get the promo code online. Must have 2 direct deposits for more than 300.00 each to get the bonus which is awarded within 120 days of meeting the requirements. Also on their mastercard it is cash rewards and offers 2% cash back on gas stations and grocery. no annual fee, 12 months 0% balance transfer rate. 1 percent back on everything else. I found out about them by reading posts online. Plus my coworker banks with them and they offer the smart advantage checking with no service charge, free checking is a plus unlike alot of other banks which charge service charges. I'm going to use them for my secondary checking account.

Message 5 of 16
jtw34240
Regular Contributor

BMO Harris Bank - Bank of Montreal Harris Bank. They bought out Harris bank they are based in Illinois. You have to be in one of the states they have branches in to get their cards but they are in several states. they are a canadian bank like TD Bank. They are much more liberal than TD Bank. TD Bank is hard to get an approval with. Td Bank is very inquiry and new account sensitive.

Message 6 of 16
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

@jtw34240 wrote:

BMO Harris Bank - Bank of Montreal Harris Bank. They bought out Harris bank they are based in Illinois. You have to be in one of the states they have branches in to get their cards but they are in several states. they are a canadian bank like TD Bank. They are much more liberal than TD Bank. TD Bank is hard to get an approval with. Td Bank is very inquiry and new account sensitive.

The Diners Club MC approvels were nationwide, and yes they shut those apps down a few years ago, but they didn't close any of those account for being out of area - just saying. 

Message 7 of 16
jtw34240
Regular Contributor

Yes youre correct about that. Diners Club is or was a national credit card. I think the Diners Club name kinda faded out when it started getting processed on the mastercard network when Citibank sold them. It's no longer processed on it's own network like American Express. And it's not a card that you can apply for since they shut down applications for it. I ussed to be a Diners Club cardholder many many years ago. I had a card with them when they were the original diners club and another one when they were owned by citibank. I kinda wish Citibank still owned them. But Citi sold them off. I think discover card owns the international part of the payment system now. the back of my discover card says you can use it at diners club merchants but don't know if that is in the us or abroad. Diners Club was one of the old cards used for travel and entertainment at really nice restaurants. 

Message 8 of 16
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Thanks guys, learned a new one today Smiley Happy
Message 9 of 16
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

@jtw34240 wrote:

Yes youre correct about that. Diners Club is or was a national credit card. I think the Diners Club name kinda faded out when it started getting processed on the mastercard network when Citibank sold them. It's no longer processed on it's own network like American Express. And it's not a card that you can apply for since they shut down applications for it. I ussed to be a Diners Club cardholder many many years ago. I had a card with them when they were the original diners club and another one when they were owned by citibank. I kinda wish Citibank still owned them. But Citi sold them off. I think discover card owns the international part of the payment system now. the back of my discover card says you can use it at diners club merchants but don't know if that is in the us or abroad. Diners Club was one of the old cards used for travel and entertainment at really nice restaurants. 

Yup, I had a Diners Club back before Citi and I did a ot of traveling widely accepted in Europe along with AmEx. Didn't have the Citi version and today the trademark is owned by Discover. When the latest version came out maybe 3 1/2 years ago there was a mad rush on here to apply and there were a lot of approvals - its just like any other MasterCard other than they charge an AF and stopped issuing the card after a few months. I'm hoping that Diners Club goes away with the AF and they reissue just a standard MC because the credit limit is good and the APR 13% +/-.. Oh... and the BHO Diners website is kind of funky.   

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.