Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BofA Partially secured card APPROVAL!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

BofA Partially secured card APPROVAL!!

I had forgot all about this card application. I applied for a regular card a while ago and was denied but offered the partially secured card (Which I found out about browsing through these forums btw). So anyways I noticed BofA deducted $99 from my savings account which had me like huh??? So today I called and te rep told me I was approved and I'd have my card in 7-10 business day or even sooner. 

So can those that have had this or has this card give me a little insight on what to expect?

I've read about PCing this card like people do with capital one cards. 

Is that really possible with this card after having it for a couple of months?

Can you request CLI on this card?

Thanks in advance for any and all advice...

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: BofA Partially secured card APPROVAL!!

Congrats! 

I would say to expect it to be partially secured for up to twelve months; however, BofA is known to unsecure it sooner, sometimes at nine months.  

Once the card is unsecured you should be able to PC it to another product (not sure if you can PC to Betrer Balance Rewards though). In the meantime, I would call them to see if they will add Cash Rewards to the card so that you may earn rewards. I believe this is an option, someone correct me if I am wrong.

I do not believe you are able to request a CLI while it is partially secured. But once it is unsecured, and the "Request Credit Limit Increase" link appers on your online banking page, you may certainly request a CLI. It will likely end in a hard pull on TU but it can be worth it if your credit profile warrants an increase. 

Message 2 of 10
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Congrats on a great pickup. Hear this card will lead to better things with BoaSmiley Happy
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I applied for a BOA card too. I was denied and countered with 99/500 secured. I accidentally logged off. Will I be able to get this offer back if I called? Will I receive the counteroffer in the mail? I don't bank with BOA.
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

My help/comment was not needed

Message 5 of 10
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Congrats! 

I would say to expect it to be partially secured for up to twelve months; however, BofA is known to unsecure it sooner, sometimes at nine months.  

Once the card is unsecured you should be able to PC it to another product (not sure if you can PC to Betrer Balance Rewards though). In the meantime, I would call them to see if they will add Cash Rewards to the card so that you may earn rewards. I believe this is an option, someone correct me if I am wrong.

I do not believe you are able to request a CLI while it is partially secured. But once it is unsecured, and the "Request Credit Limit Increase" link appers on your online banking page, you may certainly request a CLI. It will likely end in a hard pull on TU but it can be worth it if your credit profile warrants an increase. 

When the card is ready to unsecure, the "request credit line increase" link will appear. This can be as early as FIVE months (it was for me)

Generally, at that point, you will unsecure, and get a CLI.   You should definitely call BOA and have the add the cash rewards to the card though.. 

NFCU $60.4k/PenFed $22.5k/Commerce $15K/53 $11K/Synovus $14K/BBT $11K/CapOne $12K/DCU $7.5K/BMO $7.5K/Chase $14.5k/Cabelas $10K/ and many many more!
Total CL $398600, plus car and RV loan.
Ooh. Ooh. Getting closer to that $500K mark!
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just got the card and it's the cash rewards... 3% back on gas and a couple others... Cool...
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@JDANA I received a letter in the mail for it after I was countered... Just had to send in a check.
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I didn't have the 99/500 card, but I did have a $300 secured BofA card, called yesterday and they unsecured it after 5 months.  Got an auto cli with it and then requested more and got what I requested.  Calling today to have the rewards added to it.  

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
@JDANA I received a letter in the mail for it after I was countered... Just had to send in a check.

Thanks. I'll go for it. I finally closed the darn Wells Fargo card that graduated from a secured card. I had the card 36 months and they refused to give me a CLI. My limit was $500.Smiley Frustrated

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.