cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BofA Recon Denial...then APPROVED for $2.5k! But...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

BofA Recon Denial...then APPROVED for $2.5k! But...

Hello everyone!

So I recently had applied for a Bank of America Customized Cash Rewards credit card a few weeks ago, waited for the outcome, but only to receive a denied application and the subsequent denial letter. I was unsure what steps to take next, but upon reading through the forums, I came to find out that there's a process called reconsideration that is done to hopefully overturn the denial. I came across the backdoor number for BoA recon line, so upon attempting to call in, I spoke to a lady the first time who said that she wasn't aware of a reconsideration process that Bank of America does. I politely thanked her for the time and HUCA about a half hour later. The second time was with a different lady who I reiterated my intentions for a recon of my denied application, along with stating my case. She agreed to do so, but the results came up again as denied. I inquired about what possible factors, aside from my past delinquency regarding a past closed account with some lates, led to the denial. She pointed out that my BankAmericard account was recently graduated from secured to unsecured a few months ago, along with a recent CLI that increased the credit limit to $1700 (yes, this probably didn't help me in my case). She also mentioned that with that amount, that's the most they're willing to extend credit to me, and that my credit history was on the short end. All of it was understandable, and I was just about ready to leave things for a later time, but I was adamant in seeking to have my recon successful.

So I called this past evening for a 3rd time. This time, I was speaking to someone who was in UW services for Bank of America. I pleaded to the person my case in seeking a recon for my denied application, noting the positive changes that my credit file undergone since the date of my application, to which she willing agreed to conduct the reconsideration. Apparently, upon reviewing my application info, I found that there was a small typo in my income by a few thousand. Upon having that fixed, I waited to hear for the results of the recon, to which the lady stated I got APPROVED for the Customized Cash Rewards card, with a credit limit of $2,500!! I was shocked and delighted to hear this! She pointed out that the card should come in 5-7 business days. I expressed to the person my gratefulness in helping me get approved for the card, along with taking the time necessary to do all of this. However, it was only a few minutes after the call that I got an alert on my Experian file.

So this is where things get a little confusing. So my initial HP for the denied application was on 5/21, via EX. I'm not sure what's the policy or rule behind this, but my presumption was that subsequent applications (2-3, I believe) would be combined into the HP that was done initially. However, for today, after my recon call, I got an alert saying that Bank of America done another HP for EX, which caught me off guard. My understanding is that this should've been a SP, right? Because I do remember doing two apps for my BankAmericard last year, which led to only 1 HP. Yet, this time around, I ended up with 2. Can anyone tell me whether this is really supposed to be the case, or if it should indeed be 1 HP? Would I have to call BoA and clarify to them about the 2nd HP, in hopes of maybe removing it?

EDIT: Oh, almost forgot, in case anyone was curious, my DP is the following:

EX FICO 8 Score: 711

Accounts: 4 revolving accounts (Paypal Credit opened in 2019, Americard, Discover IT, and PP MC opened in March & April 2020)

UTIL: 1% (was 39% at the time of my 1st application, went down to 1% a week after)

Baddies: 1 closed derogatory account with BofA

Inquiries: 6 (includes the 1st & 2nd HP BofA did for the Cash Rewards card)

Other factors: Have a 11-year banking relationship with BofA (currently a checking account, but closed a savings account last year)

16 REPLIES 16
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: BofA Recon Denial...then APPROVED for $2.5k! But...

Congrats on the reconsideration approval. 

Yes, a 2nd HP can typically occur if any modifications occur on the original application -- that's why reconsiderations are YEMV situations.  It also depends on how the application was internally coded when it was denied the first and 2nd time.  So, I would leave sleeping dogs lie and just be content with the approval.  In the grand scheme of things, given the 2 HPs are within a nominal timeframe, they'll fall off your CRs in a couple years.  From a FICO scoring/metrics perspective, they will not count after 1 year.

Message 2 of 17
Total80sKid
Senior Contributor

Congrats on your BOFA approval! 

Message 3 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you @FinStar and @Total80sKid! I really appreciate that!

@FinStar Really? I honestly was not aware that it would be the case; I figured that perhaps such chanes would still fall under the same HP used to submit the application in the first place. So, given what you pointed out about this situation being a YEMV, I'm guessing that there are others who didn't have this occur for them then. But I am a bit confused on what you said about the application being internally coded - is that in regards to how Bank of America's UW processes the application? Or is it something else I am unaware of? 

I think you might be right in perhaps leaving the HPs as they stand, despite the -5 point decrease I saw this morning for my EX FICO 8 score. I also see that through BofA's card app status web portal, that my application status went from not being approved to being in review, so I'm presuming that's due to my recon call.

Message 4 of 17
CreditAggie
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Congratulations on your BofA approval!

Current Cards (in order of approval):

Current FICO 8 | 9 (April 2024):  
Credit Age:  
Inquiries (6/12/24):  
Banks & CUs:

Message 5 of 17
GrandBay
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous  congrats on your reconsidered approval! 

how did they get the income wrong?

Message 6 of 17
Elpadrino1
Valued Contributor

Congratulations on your approval!

Message 7 of 17
Bkist21
Valued Member

I'd let it go.  Congrats on the approval!

Message 8 of 17
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Congratulations on your approval! Thank you for sharing the data points.
Message 9 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@GrandBay Thank you! I think that might be associated with the initial application that was done via phone/online with the help of an associate. When I listened to the income they provided in yesterday's recon call, that's when I found out the error there. I'm thinking it was likely a typ on their end, since I didn't physically fill it out. Was strange upon discovering it, but thankfully it wasn't a huge error, so I didn't mind it too much.

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.