cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BofA most bizarre approvals story ever !!

tag
patoot10
Frequent Contributor

BofA most bizarre approvals story ever !!

I applied for BofA cash rewards card multiple times through the years and every time I got instantly denied for too many new accounts and no deposit relationship. I reconed every time and even though the analyst makes you feel heard and an actual assessment of your situation will occur they never reversed the computer decision and from datapoints recons with BofA are unicorns at least recently.

Anyways I decided to play by their rules and opened a savings account and funded it with $100 then applied for cash rewards and again I got instantly denied for too many new accounts and no deposit relationship. This time I lied to myself that recon would work since maybe my new deposit account is not showing on their records yet, I confirmed with the analyst that I have a savings account and they said they can see that and put me on hold and came back saying I can't be approved for the same original reasons.

I didn't give up so I called again and the second agent denied me again for the same reasons while confirming that they can see my savings account. At this point I was pissed and started planning on closing my days old savings account already, I did receive a notification that a hard pull was attempted on my now locked TU and to me it seemed that the second analyst attempted another HP without consulting me and I am lucky to avoid such a useless extra pull.

Later that day I randomly checked my online account and lo and behold a cash rewards credit card was showing under my savings account with a $5k limit. I went to check the online app status on their website and it showed that the original application is now approved. I had no idea what's going on but me being curious and greedy, I went ahead and applied for the MLB Mastercard with locked reports and finally got an instant approval from BofA for $7k and an even lower APR than the first card.

I have no idea what happened here but it's clear to me that BofA system is buggy and established relationship plays a huge role in extending credit and loans. I think this is as bizarre as it gets but everything in this topic is true.

Regards,

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Re: BofA most bizarre approvals story ever !!

Congratulations on your approval x 2!

Message 2 of 23
AllZero
Mega Contributor

What APRs did you get?

Message 3 of 23
patoot10
Frequent Contributor

The first approval for cash rewards was 21%

The second approval for mlb mastercard was 18%

Both cards come with $200 bonus and 0% apr for God knows how long.

I will probably lower my limits once the dust settles.

Message 4 of 23
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Thanks. I think promo 0% purchase APRs should be good for 1 year. That's a great haul.

Why would you CLD yourself?

Message 5 of 23
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Congrats on your two new cards

Message 6 of 23
patoot10
Frequent Contributor

I explained it in my recent ducks approval thread. If you look at my cards all of them have a modest limit.

Basically I want my total credit limit to be comparable to my income and I don't want to be over extended with any certain bank to be able to get more cards and easier approvals in the future. I don't think it makes any sense for people to have 6 digit limits when they will never use it.

I slashed my total limit from about $160k to around $70 now and my scores didn't move cause my util is already low.

Message 7 of 23
AllZero
Mega Contributor

^ I see. You do what's right for you. Most of us here go for "fake money greed" Smiley Very Happy. Select few are disciplined like yourself.

Message 8 of 23
patoot10
Frequent Contributor

It's interesting that everyone can have their own setup and mindset and still be right. That's what make this hobby beautiful. I had my share of high end annual fee cards but recently focused on no annual fee cashback cards. Let me know if you have any suggestions.

Message 9 of 23
AllZero
Mega Contributor

I like low APR and cash back cards myself. You have an arsenal at your disposal I see. With BoA, you can now select 3% categories x 2.

Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.