Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Building credit on a work VISA

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Building credit on a work VISA

Hey,

Just wanted to share my story as a person that came to the US on a work visa and had to start from scratch.

July 2018:

- Landed in the US

- Two days after landing opened a BOA checking/saving account and was approved for

"Cash Rewards" with 1500SL.

- 15 days after openning a bank account got an auto loan/lease with a 400$ per month payment (36 months).

My inital score (Jan 2019) was 731 (TransUnion fico 8).

After the inital score I've started requersting CLI via the web interface for my Cash Rewards card, I now have a 25,300$ limit.

I've always kept utilaztion low (around 2-3%) by paying before closing and at this point the only "debt" I have

is the auto loan with aroudn 8K still remaining there.

So at this point I'm around 1 year in the US and decided I need a travel card so

applied for BOA premium rewards a few days ago and got declined, called reco and was told I don't have enough credit history for that card.

As I didn't want to waste the HP they did for for the card, applied for the Travel Rewards card and was approved immediately with 5000 SL.

So the status right now, 13 months in the US, with TransUnion (fico 8) score of 749 and Experian (fico 8) score of 752.

Hope people will find it useful.  

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Building credit on a work VISA

Grats on the new Travel card and yeah the Premium card has strict underwriting, try it again after you have a few years of history under your belt. You might be able to get the Chase Sapphire Preffered once you pass 1 year on the cash rewards.

Message 2 of 6
JR_TX
Valued Contributor

Congrats and welcome to the myFICO community! Oh and welcome to the US of A! 

New cc TLs : 0/6 ; 0/12 ; 0/24 | HPs EX 3 EQ 3 TU 4 | AAoA 7y10m | UTIL 1% - 4% | $300K+ Total Limits

Message 3 of 6
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Welcome To myFICO Forums and

Message 4 of 6
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Hard work paysSmiley Happy
Message 5 of 6
zerofire
Valued Contributor

Typical Bank of America. Start relationship with them and after time goes by they act like a wide eyed puppy that has been told to sit. They jump you with the lick surprise. Make sure you keep the payments on the cards as they can bite if you decide to leave the country without payment in full and are very vengeful if you later want a loan with them.

TU:837 09/19/23 Bank of America--EX: 841 09/20/23 Experian--EQ:832 09/21/23 myFICO--Gardening since N/A
Active:
Bank of America (Unlimited Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards VSC), Capital One Walmart WMC, Chase(Amazon Prime VSC, Freedom Flex WEMC [x2], Freedom Unlimited VC), Citi Dividend MC, Citizens GreenSense MC, Curve WEMC, Discover It C, FNBO Ducks Unlimited VSC, PenFed (Platinum Rewards VSC, Pathfinder Rewards VSC), Synchrony Bank PayPal Cashback MC, UMB Bank Simply Rewards VC[Milford Federal], US Bank (Altitude Go VSC, Cash+ VSC [x2], Pick n Save/Metro Market WEMC)
Wishlist: AAA Daily Advantage Visa, AOD Signature, Bellco Colorado Rewards, Citi Custom Cash, EBates, Nusenda Platinum Cash Rewards, Ollo Optimum, Redstone Signature, Security Service Power Travel Rewards, Vantage West Connect Rewards
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.