Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CAP1 - 1 year CLI

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

CAP1 - 1 year CLI

My one year anniversary with Cap 1 (WOO-HOO, my first real credir card, rebuilding)

12/2016 Started Platinum $300 SL step program, used and pif'd, cli button to $400, auto cli at 6 months to $750.

8/2017 upgraded to QS

Just got an email this morning, Congrats, we've increased to $1,750!

I did have a $450 balance on their that I was planning on PIF or denting, but I've recently relocated, jobless, and in dealing with car problems. Ugh. My luck is dry lately, and I'm trying to get back on my feet. My intention was to pay that balance down before my 6 month increase so that my 6 month increase would be much higher.

My questions:

1)  Is this increase pretty generic across the board with credit builders starting out small like me or should I request a higher CLI?

2)  Has anyone had success requesting a higher CLI after receiving the 6-month auto increase?

3) Their 6 month CLI's do not take a HP so also need to know if I inquire, would that create a HP?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: CAP1 - 1 year CLI

Nice jobSmiley Happy also on your upgrade. Id imagine being that their cli are sp, no harm in requesting oneSmiley Wink
Message 2 of 9
601flyguy
Established Contributor

1) You are about the 5th person i have saw in this situation recently and we all started out around the same time with the 300sl credit steps, luv button to 400, credit steps increase to 750, another auto cli to around 1500. A Rep told me i would be increased to 750 and also said i would receive another CS cli after 5 more statements. Rep was very accurate with what they told me. So, i went from 300 to 1250 in 10 months. Not bad as long as it doesn't get stuck there.

2) As far as the ppl ive saw in this situation, our accounts are about the same age so no one knows whats next.

3) I think all of cap1 cli are SP but not 100% sure. You have to wait 6 months after ANY cli before they will approve another one. Unless, they give you another auto increase.
2019 Spend Summary
$944,008 Amex BRG
$91,953 Amex SC
$58,351 Discover It
$50,046 BofA CR
$36,146 Amex PRG
$6,774 Cap1 QS
$963 Amex CM

$1,188,241 Yearly Spend
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@601flyguy wrote:
1) You are about the 5th person i have saw in this situation recently and we all started out around the same time with the 300sl credit steps, luv button to 400, credit steps increase to 750, another auto cli to around 1500. A Rep told me i would be increased to 750 and also said i would receive another CS cli after 5 more statements. Rep was very accurate with what they told me. So, i went from 300 to 1250 in 10 months. Not bad as long as it doesn't get stuck there.

2) As far as the ppl ive saw in this situation, our accounts are about the same age so no one knows whats next.

3) I think all of cap1 cli are SP but not 100% sure. You have to wait 6 months after ANY cli before they will approve another one. Unless, they give you another auto increase.

I did try to have my auto increase increased by phone, I went through the automated questions and they said I will see a letter in the mail, so I will come back here with the results if anyone is interested. Just wanted to see about more of an increase before waiting another 6 months so we'll see. Sounds like a family of us going through the same numbers...

Message 4 of 9
Simmonowski
Established Member

The good thing about Capital One is if they deny your CLI they'll not only send you the letter saying why but also tell you what to do in order to get an increase in the future.  It was a SP when I requested.

Message 5 of 9
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

check prequals for a better card offer

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Shooting-For-800 wrote:

check prequals for a better card offer

I just tried (Cap1 site) and it only prequalled me for a plat which i started off with and a QS with an AF. Oh well............................

Message 7 of 9
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

^ that QS1 might be $3k or $4k though.

My first Cap One starter cards were all atleast $3k each so you never know.

Also, I was approved for several cards that I was NOT prequal for.

Just sayin.

(YMMV)

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 8 of 9
sdsoccerdad
Established Contributor

Congrats! My one year was only to $1250.  Actually one year will be next month but still...

Personal Cards:

Business Cards:

Started my journey in the high 500's 10/1/2016
Current Fico: EQ:740 | TU:757 | EX:775
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.