cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CITI DC approved at $500, ~760 scores, CLI?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: CITI DC approved at $500, CLI right away?

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

The same thing happened to me.  I used the pre-approval on Citi's site and was offered the lowest apr on the DP. It was my 4th and last app that day. After getting 1 - 5k, and 2 -10k approvals on my other apps, the $500 SL from Citi was a shocker.

Everything I read told me they would do another HP eventhough the card was just approved. I considered trying for a HP CLI when the card came, but they already hit EQ and EX for that tiny limit. I highly doubted they would come close enough to a number that would make a 3rd HP worth it. I did try for a SP CLI online when my card came, but they said no. The letter came and said I'm not eligible for a CLI for 6 months. I'm trying another SP increase in a few days when I hit over 60 days with the card. 

I hope you have luck getting your limit up. I'd be curious to know if you try and are successful.

At this point I don't have my eyes on any near future applications, so I think I will take the hit for a HP CLI when I get the card and request for something like $25k per others' posts here. I will call CS and try for an initial CLI without HP first though, emphasizing how ridiculous $500 is...

I will be sure to update here! 

Whether or not you have plans to apply for additional credit is irrevelant. It's important to make sure your credit profile is the best it can be before applying for credit. 

Generally a $500 SL implies you were barely approved in the first place. I vote for waiting at minimum 6 months, but 12 months would be even better.

Message 11 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for all the advice here. 

In that case, I will wait and try my luck with a no-HP when I call to activate my card. If that gets me to some usable amount I will sit on it. Otherwise, I will see what to do next...

Also, I forgot to mention that I used the pre-qualify portal and got an APR of 24%, no introductory rate. APR doesn't bother me since I don't plan to ever have it kicked in.  

Message 12 of 16
happypill
Valued Contributor

24.24% is the highest APR they offer on this card, so that combined with the double pull and $500 starting limit all indicate that this was a very borderline approval.  I'd guess the chances for an immediate CLI are very small, but doesn't hurt to try if it is a SP.  I certainly wouldn't waste a HP at this stage because something in your profile is clearly bothering them.

I'm surprised nobody has inquired yet about your income.  You scores are good, which tends to be a good indicator of approval chances, but income tends to be a big factore when it comes to limit.  Also, based on your signature the limits on your other cards are all around the $5k neighborhood so I don't think you'll have any success getting them to raise it about that level, given the other indicatores.  My guess is that if you do manage to get a CLI, with SP or HP, it would be to maybe $1k or thereabouts.

Citi DC is notorious for handing out low starting limits and all signs point to a thin margin of approval here.  If you want good limit on this card, you'll likely need ot wait and potentially take a HP down the road.  Or, maybe look at one of the 2% cards from Penfed or Alliant that might give you a much higher limit in less time.

Message 13 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@happypill wrote:

24.24% is the highest APR they offer on this card, so that combined with the double pull and $500 starting limit all indicate that this was a very borderline approval.  I'd guess the chances for an immediate CLI are very small, but doesn't hurt to try if it is a SP.  I certainly wouldn't waste a HP at this stage because something in your profile is clearly bothering them.

I'm surprised nobody has inquired yet about your income.  You scores are good, which tends to be a good indicator of approval chances, but income tends to be a big factore when it comes to limit.  Also, based on your signature the limits on your other cards are all around the $5k neighborhood so I don't think you'll have any success getting them to raise it about that level, given the other indicatores.  My guess is that if you do manage to get a CLI, with SP or HP, it would be to maybe $1k or thereabouts.

Citi DC is notorious for handing out low starting limits and all signs point to a thin margin of approval here.  If you want good limit on this card, you'll likely need ot wait and potentially take a HP down the road.  Or, maybe look at one of the 2% cards from Penfed or Alliant that might give you a much higher limit in less time.

Yes, I was thinking about that too (about a borderline approval because of APR and limit). 

My reported income for cc applications is $60k.

I anything, I suspect age of accounts is recent accounts is the concern: All of my credit cards were created within the last two years (Citi my oldest in 2013, Cap1 and Disc early 2016, and the rest all within the last 24 months). For the one other Citi card I have (old Forward card), I have also sent it to the drawer due to crappy rewards.

Also an update to everyone,

I mentioned in my original post that this is an app spree where I tried Buypower, Cap1 Premier Dining, and Citi DC, in that order. I now know that the first two were both approved at $5k limit.

Message 14 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: CITI DC approved at $500, ~760 scores, CLI?

Hi, an interesting update regarding this.

Today I called the general number, asked for an account supervisor right away, and asked for CLI. I haven't received the card. He asked for income and rent and proceeded without a HP, and came by denied of course due to lack of history. Expected. He probably did it for show.

I stood my ground and explained myself. I argued about how I could even use the card to show activity when the limit is $500. We went back a fourth a little. He explained the 6 months rule and etc. I asked if I could speak to underwriter he said no but he can, and I asked him to check with them for me. I got put on hold for a couple of minutes and he came back this way: 

"I found out something. I found out something, okay?". I paused my tv show. 

He continues "There is no time frame, just use your card, use it and pay it, and check with us in a month". 

The tone truly sounds like if I use it and check back in a month I will get a CLI.

Now he sounds stern and experienced throughout the conversation, and he is a supervisor, so I doubt if "no time frame" is a general rule that he just found that. That leads me to think what he found out. Then there is a light bulb. I have an abadoned Citi Forward card that literally is accumulating dusts in my drawer. I charge a music streaming service subscription to it and nothing else. Autopay. Could this be it? They give me $500 because I don't use the one other product I have with them?

Now that I think of it I really should have asked him point blank if that's the reason. Even if he cannot say it, I can probably get more hints from his response. Anyway, fun.

P/S: Actually, check out this thread where a guy got SP CLI after 3 months. Unless they actually did just change their rules?? And no timeframe??

Message 15 of 16
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Re: CITI DC approved at $500, ~760 scores, CLI?

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi, an interesting update regarding this.

Today I called the general number, asked for an account supervisor right away, and asked for CLI. I haven't received the card. He asked for income and rent and proceeded without a HP, and came by denied of course due to lack of history. Expected. He probably did it for show.

I stood my ground and explained myself. I argued about how I could even use the card to show activity when the limit is $500. We went back a fourth a little. He explained the 6 months rule and etc. I asked if I could speak to underwriter he said no but he can, and I asked him to check with them for me. I got put on hold for a couple of minutes and he came back this way: 

"I found out something. I found out something, okay?". I paused my tv show. 

He continues "There is no time frame, just use your card, use it and pay it, and check with us in a month". 

The tone truly sounds like if I use it and check back in a month I will get a CLI.

Now he sounds stern and experienced throughout the conversation, and he is a supervisor, so I doubt if "no time frame" is a general rule that he just found that. That leads me to think what he found out. Then there is a light bulb. I have an abadoned Citi Forward card that literally is accumulating dusts in my drawer. I charge a music streaming service subscription to it and nothing else. Autopay. Could this be it? They give me $500 because I don't use the one other product I have with them?

Now that I think of it I really should have asked him point blank if that's the reason. Even if he cannot say it, I can probably get more hints from his response. Anyway, fun.

P/S: Actually, check out this thread where a guy got SP CLI after 3 months. Unless they actually did just change their rules?? And no timeframe??

Those early CLI from Citi seem pretty rare. I wouldn't hold my breath on that one. The safe bet is 6 to 12 months. Doesn't hurt to try though. If you don't get it. Wait the 181 days and try again. If they give you a SP CLI at 6 months. And the limit is still too small. Do a HP request after the SP CLI.

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.