Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap 1 CLI success!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cap 1 CLI success!!

It pays to be courteous.  Cap 1 declined my request due to a returned payment. I pay it down every month but I have a $25 autopay at the end of every month as a failsafe in case I happen to forget, and when I switched banks, I forgot about that recurring payment, so it got kicked, even though I had already made a payment beforehand.  I ended up emailing the CEO's office and asked them to reconsider based on 2 years of perfect payment history, and the circumstances around the returned payment.  About 10 days went by with no response, so I figured they just blew it off.  A rep contacted me yesterday and explained that despite the returned payment having no negative effect, per their policy they would not be able to grant the increase.  I was polite and although it wasn't the answer I was hoping for, I know that my credit is still a work in progress and I just need to keep building.  

Today I got another call and the rep said after our conversation, she spoke to one of the managers and they decided to grant me the increase!  They said I'd get a confirmation letter stating the amount in 10-14 days!  Something tells me if I had gotten ignorant and voiced my frustration on the first call, there's a good chance this wouldn't have happened.  

BE NICE TO THE PERSON ON THE OTHER END OF THE PHONE!!

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Cap 1 CLI success!!

Congrats Kyle.  Enjoy your new purchasing power.Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well done, congrats on your success !! How much was the CLI that you requested? Smiley Wink

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

She probably liked the sound of your voice! :-)

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on the Cap One cli inrease!  Woman Very Happy  It does pay to be nice to all.  I treat them the way I would want to be treated.  Sometimes I get a cli and sometimes I don't.  Very nice Kyle!

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

It pays to be courteous.  Cap 1 declined my request due to a returned payment. I pay it down every month but I have a $25 autopay at the end of every month as a failsafe in case I happen to forget, and when I switched banks, I forgot about that recurring payment, so it got kicked, even though I had already made a payment beforehand.  I ended up emailing the CEO's office and asked them to reconsider based on 2 years of perfect payment history, and the circumstances around the returned payment.  About 10 days went by with no response, so I figured they just blew it off.  A rep contacted me yesterday and explained that despite the returned payment having no negative effect, per their policy they would not be able to grant the increase.  I was polite and although it wasn't the answer I was hoping for, I know that my credit is still a work in progress and I just need to keep building.  

Today I got another call and the rep said after our conversation, she spoke to one of the managers and they decided to grant me the increase!  They said I'd get a confirmation letter stating the amount in 10-14 days!  Something tells me if I had gotten ignorant and voiced my frustration on the first call, there's a good chance this wouldn't have happened.  

BE NICE TO THE PERSON ON THE OTHER END OF THE PHONE!!

Congratulations to you!...Thanks for sharing.Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I currently have $1,000, I asked for $5000.  Not sure what they'll truly approve me for yet, though.  

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I currently have $1,000, I asked for $5000.  Not sure what they'll truly approve me for yet, though.  

You must've gotten the needle in the haystack considering the EO typically refuses to handle CLI's any longer.. Congrats, in any case!

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations and enjoy your CLI! Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 11
dallasareaguy
Frequent Contributor

I always act kind and professional even when denied... even if I think their wrong. 99% of the time the person talking to me is just trying to do the job asked of them and it isn't their fault the underwriter or computer (in most cases) says no to them on an increase or approval. I am a believer that all reps have the ability to place notes in the system. Something small you say or do can harm your chances down the road when you really need it.

In your case, I bet the person literally said to themselves.. "this person is getting declined despite being a good customer because of a legitimate mistake that they took the time to call in and explain... all other aspects of their relationship with us checks out, so I'm going to talk to someone who can overrule this..." <fast forward>

Congrats!

CapOne QS
$10,250

AMEX Delta Gold
$15,000

AMEX BCE
$5,000

AMEX BCP
$1,000

AMEX HHonors
$1,600

Discover it
$2,000
FICO8 Scores:
EQ: 648
TU: 654
EX: 691

(as of 07/15/2017)
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.