Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap One, Chase and USAA Approvals!!!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cap One, Chase and USAA Approvals!!!!

I've hit an important mark in my credit rebuilding journey and I'm super excited about finally getting some unsecured cards. I totally ruined my credit some years ago when defaulting on my student loans but I'm currently doing the rehab to get them on track again. Jan 2016 my Fico was 598. I got a Cap One secured card with a $200 SL that was increased to $500 five months in. I used it ONLY for gas and paid it off every month! I also go 1 more secured card for $500 with my credit union and did the same thing, used it sparingly and paid it off every month. I then took out a secured loan for $1000 on my savings account just to boost my score. I made 4 monthly payments on time and then paid it off on the 5th month. This made a HUGE jump in my score. By November 2016 my Fico 8 was 680.  Then my car died, so I had to buy a new car...sigh! But with my new score I was able to get a $20k loan at 2.9% with my credit union!!  After buying the car, my score dropped dramatically 40pts!! This was because my previous car loan was my oldest open account. I kicked myself because I didn't even think to get a unsecured card until after I saw my score drop =(. So I nursed my score for about 4 months...didn't see much upward movement and after lurking through the Fico forums for what seems like forever, I pulled the trigger on 3 apps today and got approved for all three!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  

Chase Freedom Unlimited- $2,500 SL

Cap One Quiksilver 1- $1,000 SL (I plan to try to upgrade this one to a regular Quicksilver after a few months)

USAA  Cashback Rewards Plus American Express - $1,000 SL

Current Fico Scores are: EQ-625 TU- 660 EX-615

I plan to cancel the secured card I have with my credit union, it's only been open for about 4 months and I don't think I need to keep it open. What do you guys think? I'm definitely open to any advice you all have! And I'm going back to the garden for a long while now! =) 

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Cap One, Chase and USAA Approvals!!!!

Congrats! Nice job on rebuilding as well.
I think you are doing it all the right way.

I'd just keep those 3 and use them like you used the secured cards, pay them off each month or leave a very small balance... (under 10% preferably) and with those and your car loan your scores will rise again.

Your other loan even tho closed is still showing. It will show for 10 years so don't worry about that.

As far as keeping your 2 secured cards open.... that's up to you really. If it were me I would close them both but that me. Open and closed cards both still report and both add to your AAOA so you won't take a hit on that-but your Utilization will be affected since you will lose $1000 of available credit. As long as you watch your balances and PIF you will be fine.

Congrats again.
Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the advice!!! 

Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations! You have done well "pulling yourself up by the boot straps" taking ownership of your past and making it right for the future. You have done very well. Keep on truckin' Smiley Happy
Message 4 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you!! It's been a long road lol
Message 5 of 16
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

Congrats I have a special love for Usaa , they gave me my first secured cc when no one else would In the beginning of 2016 . Now I have two unsecured cc with them as well as my car loan
Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well done and Congrats on approval!

On 2 SL CCs. Personally I would keep 'em and try to convert into unsecure couple of months down the road. Closing both accounts may impact your score especially since you have limited # open accounts on file.

Good luck and keep up the great work!
Message 7 of 16
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

How long have you had the Cap one secured cc? Ours graduated to unsecured after 11 mths
Message 8 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've had it for about 14months now. As far as I know, Cap One doesn't convert their secured card into a unsecured card. They only required me to deposit $49 for that card and now I have a $500 limit so I'll most likely keep that one open.
Message 9 of 16
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

They do convert their secured ccs now , it was something that was just implemented in the last 6 mths or so , there are several threads here of ppl who have had theirs unsecure in the last few mths . Ours was opened in Feb of 2016 had to put the 200 down and got a 300 increase at the 6 mth mark , then got an email in January that it was being unsecured
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.