cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap One Venture...approved, then cancelled?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cap One Venture...approved, then cancelled?

so I've been slowly over the last 6 years digging myself out of my credit hellhole. In one year, all bad things will be gone off of my credit report. As of now, there is one old judgement (over 6 years ago) and a small collections of $230 that I refuse to pay because they screwed up. That will be off in one year as well. 

So my husband, who has literally perfect credit, added me to his cap one card a month or so ago. He's had it for years and has a 19k limit. That gave my credit score an instant amazing boost from low 500's to mid/upper 600s!  

So in an effort to start rebuilding it myself, I applied through experian for a cap one venture rewards card, was instantly approved for a 5k limit!  I was shocked and super happy. I immediatly set up my online account, downloaded the app and waited for the card. I got the email a few days later saying it was shipped. On Firday I got it, yea!  I didn't immediatly activate it, but attempted to the next day. I was having trouble with the online activation site (couldn't get logged in, got a dns error page), which seemed like it might be part of the DDoS attack on Friday as others were siting issues as well. 

So I called. They immediatly sent me over to the fraud dept!  

They asked what I wanted, I said I was just trying to activate my new card. They told me no, it was cancelled. I asked why, they said because fraud. Um ok, what type of fraud, the account is less than a few days old. They wouldn't tell me. So I said, well, can you send me a new card number, they said NO that the entire account had been cancelled and was no more and that I would have to reapply!  I said that' absurd, it would make ANOTHER hard pull within days of the one they just did. I pretty much got a too bad for you vibe from them (I could barely understand them anyway, why must they always be India call centers). 

Has anyone heard of this??  I finally had to send a fb message in an attempt to get any sort of answers. They claim they will call me. Well see. 

Thoughts!

Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Cap One Venture...approved, then cancelled?

That is totally ridiculous. I would actually call or email the EO over that.
Message 2 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would be calling them and raising hell.  Don't take no for an answer.  Havve you tried the backdoor number?

Message 3 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't know of such a number! Do tell!!
Message 4 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ouch.....yeah I agree with raising some 😳 Capital 1 is too expensive (3 hp for 1 card) to simply "try again." 

Message 5 of 25
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

What's going on with cap1?

There the unshakeable, unspookable lender!

WtH?? 

Current Scores 3/2016 Equifax 676 Transunion 697 Experian 648 Goal Scores: 720's accross the board. Gardening Goal: 3/2017
Message 6 of 25
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

Your account gets cancelled for fraud and their solution is to have you reapply? Where does one solve the other?

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 7 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

I know! It doesn't make sense!! I literally couldn't squeeze any more information out of him. In fact I would voluntarily given to him by the guy I was originally talking to. Almost like there's a flag or something that says don't talk to this lady! I have no idea it's so bizarre
Message 8 of 25
MugenCivicSi83
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

so I've been slowly over the last 6 years digging myself out of my credit hellhole. In one year, all bad things will be gone off of my credit report. As of now, there is one old judgement (over 6 years ago) and a small collections of $230 that I refuse to pay because they screwed up. That will be off in one year as well. 

So my husband, who has literally perfect credit, added me to his cap one card a month or so ago. He's had it for years and has a 19k limit. That gave my credit score an instant amazing boost from low 500's to mid/upper 600s!  

So in an effort to start rebuilding it myself, I applied through experian for a cap one venture rewards card, was instantly approved for a 5k limit!  I was shocked and super happy. I immediatly set up my online account, downloaded the app and waited for the card. I got the email a few days later saying it was shipped. On Firday I got it, yea!  I didn't immediatly activate it, but attempted to the next day. I was having trouble with the online activation site (couldn't get logged in, got a dns error page), which seemed like it might be part of the DDoS attack on Friday as others were siting issues as well. 

So I called. They immediatly sent me over to the fraud dept!  

They asked what I wanted, I said I was just trying to activate my new card. They told me no, it was cancelled. I asked why, they said because fraud. Um ok, what type of fraud, the account is less than a few days old. They wouldn't tell me. So I said, well, can you send me a new card number, they said NO that the entire account had been cancelled and was no more and that I would have to reapply!  I said that' absurd, it would make ANOTHER hard pull within days of the one they just did. I pretty much got a too bad for you vibe from them (I could barely understand them anyway, why must they always be India call centers). 

Has anyone heard of this??  I finally had to send a fb message in an attempt to get any sort of answers. They claim they will call me. Well see. 

Thoughts!

I was approved for a Cap 1 QS1 this week. $3k limit. I just opened a Cap 1 360 Checking prior to app'ing for the QS1. I had the Cap 1 360 funded with $5k of my own cash. Had absolutely ZERO problems getting everything in the mail. Now 3 days after my app for the QS1 i get contacted by the Fraud department to verify documents...but they had no problem taking my cash into their 360 bank....SMH so annoyed with you! I'm about ready to just take the money back out of the 360 account and put it back in my chase account. I got the QS1 and 360 because i'm moving to Switzerland for work in less than 2 months and the 360 debit card and QS1 have no FTF's. But for now i'll send them my documents that they've requested to verify my identity and see what they do...

FICO 8 Scores: EX 706 (11/3/2016) EQ 696 (11/17/16) TU 708 (11/17/2016)

"Use your Credit wisely, don't let it use you!"~Me Smiley Very Happy

Message 9 of 25
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@grillandwinemaster wrote:

What's going on with cap1?

There the unshakeable, unspookable lender!

WtH?? 

No lender is unshakeable. Capital One has its faults. Them being unshakeable is just one of those things that's been repeated so many times that people believe it without question. 

Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.