Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap1 Prequal and approved.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cap1 Prequal and approved.

I received a snail mail prequalify offer for Capital One Platinum. It states a higher credit limit as long as I make my payments on time for 5 months. My scores are crap right now in the  early to mid 600's and I recently got hit with a collection on my reports from a doctor's office even though they get an auto payment out of my bank account every month for the last year so I wasn't expecting to get an offer nevermind approval.

1k approval..  I'm going to BT Kohls and BOA. I'd like to get rid of BOA because it's never grown even when I was in the 700s. It wouldn't budge and I have a yearly fee coming up next month.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

Re: Cap1 Prequal and approved.

Congrats! Yeah, don’t feel bad about tossing the BofA

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 13k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks,  I'm losing 10 months history  and it was my first credit card after Chapter11 a few years ago. It used to be secured.  But I scored a car loan last year and that looks better than this eye sore.

Message 3 of 10
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Congrats on you Cap1 Approval.

something to think about,?  I Know your BofA Card is kinda low limit. (Not sure of The Limit?)

and sounds like a annual fee is due.

You might call them and see if you can Product change your card to a "cash Rewards"

and select a 3% Cash Back Category, Such as Gas or Restaraunts. also a few other choices.

Message 4 of 10
tbque
Valued Contributor

Congrats on the CapOne approval and the $1,000 SL!

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@M_Smart007 wrote:

something to think about,?  I Know your BofA Card is kinda low limit. (Not sure of The Limit?)

You might call them and see if you can Product change your card to a "cash Rewards"

and select a 3% Cash Back Category, Such as Gas or Restaraunts. also a few other choices.

It's a $500 CL.

Thanks for the reminder. I gave up on that after I got my Discover card. I said the right things, called the backdoor numbers and it just wasn't happening. I'll give it one last shot. I know it's common to only get an offer upgrade when they know you're serious about closing.

Message 6 of 10
Petit3tee
Contributor

Agreed! I say give it another try.... I always reccommend keeping the first card but if they're not willing to pc for you, then you have all the reasons to close it espacially account with low cl and AF. Good luck and let us know!

Current status: Gardening as of 5/2019 Projected: TBD

Message 7 of 10
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@M_Smart007 wrote:

It's a $500 CL.

Thanks for the reminder. I gave up on that after I got my Discover card. I said the right things, called the backdoor numbers and it just wasn't happening. I'll give it one last shot. "I know it's common to only get an offer upgrade when they know you're serious about closing".

+1

Yes, I was going to say this.

sometimes it works, sometimes it does not. 50/50

a $500 Card is not that big a deal, but i thought, maybe as a 3% Gas or Restaurant Card,

if it could be product changed, with no annual fee, and you keep the History on your Credit Report.

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Way to go!

@Anonymous wrote:

I received a snail mail prequalify offer for Capital One Platinum. It states a higher credit limit as long as I make my payments on time for 5 months. My scores are crap right now in the  early to mid 600's and I recently got hit with a collection on my reports from a doctor's office even though they get an auto payment out of my bank account every month for the last year so I wasn't expecting to get an offer nevermind approval.

1k approval..  I'm going to BT Kohls and BOA. I'd like to get rid of BOA because it's never grown even when I was in the 700s. It wouldn't budge and I have a yearly fee coming up next month.

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you, all.

I called the backdoor number and the number on the back of my card.  I explained that I was interested in a Cash Awards card and would like to close this account before my annual fee hits and was wondering if it could be converted. They said this account was not eligible for a product change. If I want the Cash Awards then I'd need to apply for it separately. Same story I heard a year ago. 

Capital One requires an 11 day wait for a balance transfer. I'm going to transfer the balance and then request a CLI but it's likely not going to be worth the $39 annual fee unless it's a significant increase.  I should've just gotten in with Capital One sooner but the last time I pre-qualified with them it was a secured which is a dead end for many people. I didn't want a bunch of  dead end, toy cards.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.