Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One - 2 Very Stingy CLI's

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital One - 2 Very Stingy CLI's

I have 2 Cap1 cards, one is my oldest card which I opened when I had poor credit.

Card 1: Started as secured with a $500 limit at the time, they unsecured within 12 months and generously worked me up to $7500 the next 5 years then all increases came to a grinding halt when I opened prime cards (Amex,  and MBNA at the time). So I'd been stuck at $7500 for at least 16-17 years. This one's not really a SD card, I charge a good $6-800/month on it. I decided to try for an increase being that it's a soft pull. After filling out their intrusive questionaire online, I was instantly increased by $1k, even though I asked for $15k. I guess it's better than nothing but after receiving massive increases from Amex, Discover and BoFa this increase was a joke. 

Card 2: Started out as Direct Merchants Bank, opened at least 15 years ago with a starting CL of $10k. DMB was bought out by Cap1 around the time of the financial crisis, after which CAP1 dropped my CL from $10k to $3k as many banks were doing at the time. It's essentially been a SD card. I requested an increase and was approved for a whopping $250!

I only keep these 2 cards alive because they're my 2 oldest accounts. I get that some banks aren't handing out CLI's like candy anymore, but these 2 increases were just ridiculous for anyone with prime scores. Have any of you experienced similar stinginess from Cap1? 

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Kevin5974
Frequent Contributor

Re: Capital One - 2 Very Stingy CLI's

Yes, constantly. They do not hand out good CLI on old accounts. It appears they likely want us signing up for new accounts to fluff their numbers. I was like you, although mine were 5 to 7 years old, and they wouldn't CLI me at all. Apped for a new card, 15k SL. Makes zero sense to me.

Starting Score: 475
Current Score: 649
Goal Score: 690

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry to hear, Kevin. I just don't get the logic of wanting us to open new accounts. Probably something to do with the old cards being in a permananent sub-prime bucket, but this also doesn't make sense. A friend of mine filed CH13 a few years ago, he started with Cap1 and has rather quickly (5 yrs) worked his way up to over $15k cl. His scores are around 720 with the CH13 still reporting. So based on his data points, it seems plausible they continue to give increases on cards opened with a subprime score as long as you still have a dirty scorecard. 

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I tried for a SP CLI on my Savor card a few weeks ago.  $1K SL and they offered me $100 increase.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on both CLI !!!!

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on CLI!Smiley Very Happy

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

If it makes you feel any better, I have been stuck at $6900 for 14 years.  They did auto CLIs up to that amount.  I still request increases mostly so I can laugh at the reasons for denial and the hope that I could one day get lucky. It is still a very useable credit line for me so if I never get an increase again then I'm fine with that.

Message 7 of 8
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

This is Capitol One. Tons of stories here.

Doesnt matter how good your score is or even your income in this case. There are cards that get bracketed and will never grow. Count your blessings you got it up to $7500, for many that would be a huge win. Problem with getting candy from other banks, makes us feel that all candy is sweet and should be given in abundance when we all know there are always a Mom or 2 who only want to feed their children broccoliSmiley Wink
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.