cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One $30K Venture Card approval 15 months after chap 7 BK discharge!

tag
Hex
Valued Contributor

Capital One $30K Venture Card approval 15 months after chap 7 BK discharge!

I love Cap1!!!!! I was instantly approved online for a $30K Venture Card at 4 o'clock this morning. This is six months to the day that I submitted my application for a $15K Qicksilver Card that I was approved for (that application was submitted on 4/17/17). My FICO scores prior to the app were: EQ 693 TU 717  EX 706, Utilization <1%. Income 150K. HP's range from 7 to 12 depending on CB. Oldest account 2 years 10 mo. AAA 1 year. I'm super happy! I am posting this to encourage other post BK FICO Forum members and to give a data point about the Cap1 six months between applications rule  I should also mention that I have done the pre-qualify basically every day for the last week and up until and including yesterday 10/16 I only received offers for QS1 and Platinum. This morning the pre-quaified offer also listed QS. My current QS is a WEMC but the new offer was for a QS Visa. Also should mention that I have had many CLI request denials over the past six months. CLI request denials mentioned not enough use of the card and too many inquires. I hope this data is helpful to people.

10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Capital One $30K Venture Card approval 15 months after chap 7 BK discharge!

Congratulations HEX!

This is encouraging. Though I don't have a BK, I started my rebuild last December with scores hovering in the very low 400's to low 500's. My first chance was a Cap1 QS1 with a $300 limit, I requested one cli 4 months in and was granted $100 and auto increase at exactly 6 months to $750. I made the mistake in July by apping for another QS1, not sure exactly what I was thinking other than that with 3% or lower util and impeccable use of the card that "if" I was to be approved it would be a decent starting limit. Well, I was approved instantly, but again only $300! I have tried 3 times now for cli on that card and denied each time. The first two times was that the card was too new, this last time was for too many inquiries. Just have to sit on them now. My auto increase on the first one should be the first week in December (1 year). Hoping they increase it to a decent limit. I haven't had any pre-quals yet, just the "you might like these cards". That said, I receive my auto increase, I will app for either QS or Venture.

In the meantime, I was also approved for the BOA $99/500 right around the same time as the 2nd QS1, I am hoping that after my 5th statement on this one I can call and get a manual gradutation on it to an unsecured with a CLI

Last week I was approved for a small sl with Discover It $800 (I should have waited until November) after my first request for CLI on my NFCU Cash Rewards (91+ days will be Oct 31, but waiting a few days to be sure the AR is done). Hoping that this card with an initial sl of $2,100 will take at least a $5K jump. More will be great, but trying to keep my expectations low in case. At that time I will also app for a 2nd card. Hoping that the higher limits with Navy will be my start to some higher limits.

Current Fico 8 Scores:

EX: 662

TU: 645

EQ: 631 - Just disputed a tax lien for the 5th time, this time sent a dispute CMRRR. Just got the RR yesterday, so fingers crossed it will be deleted and my score will take a jump.

If I can reach 670 before the end of the year, I will be thrilled!

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats!

How did you count the 6 months? By the day of the month?

Those are some killer SLs for being at the 700 level!
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oops, ignore my question, just saw you posted the April app date of the 17th. Need coffee.
Message 4 of 11
Hex
Valued Contributor

mandm,
From what I have read here it's best to wait until you pre-qualify for a new better Cap1 card. I have a Platinum that I got in May of 2016 with a $300 limit and it's only grown to $2250. My scores in May of 2016 had gone up to: Ex 540. TU 565 and EQ of 615. These scores were alerts one month after I filed so they were even lower than that before I started my rebuild. You can do it!!!!
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks HEX, good advise that I will take!

Message 6 of 11
Hex
Valued Contributor

When it was just about six months I checked pre-qual every day. My last app submission was on 4/17/17. Today is 10/17/17. So I quess I'd say it was 6 calader months. Not sure how many days it was. I think -get close to the date and start checking the pre-qualify site. If it's too soon they will offer you cards you don't want anyway.
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yep sounds right to me!

I'm still in toy limit hell with Capital One but hopefully once my secured card graduates next year I'll be in better light with them and get some useful limits.

The 2X venture card would be a nice general 2% card to use for non-category spend.
Message 8 of 11
Hex
Valued Contributor

More data-
I applied for a Penfed PCR's card in July and got a $2K approval. Applied for a NFCU Cash rewards in July and got a decline so got the securred n-rewards for $500. Applied for Disco It in August got a 1K approval.
Message 9 of 11
Hex
Valued Contributor

I just noticed on the Cap1 site that there is now the Venture Card that offers a 50,000 mile bonus  with the same $3K spend but the AF went up to $95. My approval was for 40,000 bonus miles for $3K but AF is still $59. I'm happy with what I got but wanted to share the new info I found. I didn't know there were two different bonus/fee offerings.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.