Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One CLI

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital One CLI

Just thought I'd share a weird CLI story with the community.

On 11/3/15, I opened a Cap One platinum card as a method of rebuilding my credit. I was given a $1,000.00 limit. I paid off the credit card in full every month. Pretty much 90-95% utilization on this card every month.

On or about 2/15/16, I asked to change the card to a Cap One Quicksilver via online chat. Easy process, no big deal. I asked the rep if changing the card would come with a CLI becuase I use the card for business travel and it's tough to use with only a $1,000.00 limit (most of my flights cost that much!). Rep said after 5 months of good payment history I would get a credit limit of $1,500.00. Basically a $500.00 increase. Not what I wanted, but whatever. I didn't ask for a CLI at that time, so no new pulls on my CRs.

Fast forward to today, I get an email saying that my new credit limit is $5,000.00. Account already reflects the new increase. I didn't ask for a CLI.  No new pulls on my CRs.

Weird, but great for me! 

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Shawndoe79
Established Contributor

Re: Capital One CLI

sweet, congrats.

Current Scores EQ 689| EX 688| TU 679
Comenity 57.5k| Navy Fed 52.5k| Capital One 32.3k| Synchrony 23k| BBVA Compass 5.5k| First Commerce 4k| Barclays 1.9k|
GARDENING UNTIL APPING....
Message 2 of 11
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Congrats

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 3 of 11
delaney1
Established Contributor

That's awesome!

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Pretty similar scenario with me, opened Platinum with SL of $1k. After my sixth statement I had an auto CLI to $4k.  Sometime after that I PC'd to the QS. June will be 6 months from the auto CLI so I will request another then. 

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I see, maybe not as weird as I thought initially then. My understanding was that Cap1 was pretty stingy with the CLIs, so my CLI was surprising. 

Can anyone point me to a thread that discusses Cap1's CLI method? 

Message 6 of 11
MrsCHX
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I see, maybe not as weird as I thought initially then. My understanding was that Cap1 was pretty stingy with the CLIs, so my CLI was surprising. 

Can anyone point me to a thread that discusses Cap1's CLI method? 

Oh there are tons. LOL!  Seriously, just Google "Capital One CLI myfico"

If you are in credit steps it seems run of the mill lately to get a bump sometime after the 2nd statement and then after 5 payments you get your steps increase. And then every 6 months after that.

I started in February with $300 and was told after 5 payments my limit would be bumped to $500. Asked for a CLI last week and got bumped to $800. WIll get my steps later this year and likely go to $1300 based on others' experiences. If I can get my scores up more, maybe even more of a CLI.

Anyway...congrats!!

NFCU: $25,000; PenFed Power Cash Rewards: $3,500; PenFed Gold: $2,500; Capital One: $2,300; Nordstrom Visa: $2,000; Credit One: $1,250
Amazon: 800; Kohls: $1,500
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ha, yes, I saw the multitude of threads on the topic. Basically, I was wondering if there was a definitive guide similar to the AMEX 3x CLI thread.

Message 8 of 11
MrsCHX
Valued Contributor

I don't think it's an automatic 3x thing. Still fairly dependent on your individual file. But so many of us that started at $300 went to $800 and then to $1300. 

NFCU: $25,000; PenFed Power Cash Rewards: $3,500; PenFed Gold: $2,500; Capital One: $2,300; Nordstrom Visa: $2,000; Credit One: $1,250
Amazon: 800; Kohls: $1,500
Message 9 of 11
alextercero
Super Contributor

Cobgrats

Current Credit Cards

Currently rebuilding as of (May 2021)

Current Fico Scores 8/9: (March 2024)

Credit Age:

Inquiries:

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.