Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Credit Limit Increase

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Capital One Credit Limit Increase

@haulingthescoreup wrote:
I'm glad to know that they still have that particular card going! Every now and again, someone will post about a CapOne card that is up in the $5K-ish range, but they always seem to be older cards. And then there are still the two great cards that they have.

I try not to bash on CapOne (or really, any cards except those from the true bottom feeders), but there are so many frustrated posts by those whose heads are sore from banging up against that $500 or $1,000 ceiling that I try to brace new cardholders for their possible futures.

I'll still never understand why a bank chooses not to have a full range of cards that have different names, are fairly easy to distinguish, and that let you move up (or down!) through the levels as your credit changes.

Anyway, there you go, ladydi! Good luck with your card, and again, if they're still doing the Credit Steps program and you are invited to participate, I would advise jumping on it and accepting.

what is that? never heard of that

Message 31 of 60
LisaPA
Regular Contributor

I got a Cap1 card with a $1500 Credit Steps in October of 2008. I got the auto-CLIs and was able to get 1 extra by calling in between "steps". The last increase was April 2009 to $3000. When I called back 6 months later (October) I was told they are no longer giving customer-initiated CLIs due to the credit climate and to try again in another 6 months. This is my highest limit card, so I use it all the time, but I never carry a balance. My scores were near 700 at the time (much higher than when I was initially approved) and it made no difference.

While it's always worth a try, I think right now they aren't likely to give anyone with any card a CLI at your request, but I would assume they will still do the steps increases if you are in that program.

Message 32 of 60
Anonymous
Not applicable

@LisaPA wrote:

I got a Cap1 card with a $1500 Credit Steps in October of 2008. I got the auto-CLIs and was able to get 1 extra by calling in between "steps". The last increase was April 2009 to $3000. When I called back 6 months later (October) I was told they are no longer giving customer-initiated CLIs due to the credit climate and to try again in another 6 months. This is my highest limit card, so I use it all the time, but I never carry a balance. My scores were near 700 at the time (much higher than when I was initially approved) and it made no difference.

While it's always worth a try, I think right now they aren't likely to give anyone with any card a CLI at your request, but I would assume they will still do the steps increases if you are in that program.

how would i never if im offer that program?
Message 33 of 60
Anonymous
Not applicable

Actually some people that have credit steps won't be geting there increase, like they were told, all the new terms and conditons just came in, which allows them to, increase, decrease, or close your account at anytime, for any reason, default or not default, they put a freeze on all customer called limit increases, until at least the end of the year, so don't bother until at least 2011 which I still doubt it will change..

On a side note, my card went from 24.90% to 4.40% has no annual fee, and is my highest limit card, other card is $300 limit $59 AF, I have never got a limit increase in the 3 years I've had my cards, but heck I'll  take a rate drop any day, since it's my only card I carry balances on, crazy because of all the bad news I hear about them, woah, I had to double call in, and actually had to see the statement print to verify they were not lying, which they were not, woah still Smiley Embarassed

Message 34 of 60
Kiwill
Frequent Contributor

I've received 2 cli's in the last 30days on my Orchard card, my limit went from $400 to $900, the last cli was for $400.  Because they waived 1/2 the AF and gave me a nice increase, i'm now going to pay off my capital one card and use my orchard card exclusively for now.  Cap1 has shown "NO" appreciation for my business and will now begin to collect dust. 

Starting Score: EQ 729, TU 752, EX ? (1/1/2011)
Current Score: EQ 696, TU 718, EX 686 - PSECU (5/17/2011)
Goal Score: ALL 800+ by December 31, 2011

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
PROUD MEMBER OF THE 700 CLUB!
Message 35 of 60
Sparkz1920
Frequent Contributor

I just happened to log into my account last month and noticed they upped mine from 300 to 500. Got the card in October i think. So it has not been that long

Starting Score: 601
Current Score: 670
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

NFCU Rewards- 8K......AMEX Delta Skymiles-5k.....Citi AAdvantage AMEX-3.5K...WalMart Discover-4K....Old Navy Visa-2k...BOA-3000...AMEX Green-NPSL....Discover More-1K
Message 36 of 60
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a cap I started at 500 6mo later went to 750 a year later 4750 good luck I had the card for a little over 2yrs
Message 37 of 60
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I have a cap I started at 500 6mo later went to 750 a year later 4750 good luck I had the card for a little over 2yrs

that sound good to me Smiley Very Happy

Message 38 of 60
YoungEntrepeneur
Established Contributor

Account history is far more important and valuable than CL.
Message 39 of 60
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cap One sucks.... no increase since I opened my account in 2006. Still stands at a measely $500. Ugh.
Message 40 of 60
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.