Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Platinum Approval!

tag
marcforza1
Frequent Contributor

Capital One Platinum Approval!

Last night after doing some reseaches on apping for the right cc based on my credit score/history, I decided to pull that trigger one more time and went for a Capital One Platinum card. Previous had 3 INQ, with both the Barclaycard Cashforward and Paypal MC denied last week, 46% util on the Freedom card, long history, and two minor collections from two years ago that were paid and closed last summer. Still waiting for the balance of my FU card to post so my util. goes down to about 22%. 

Went on the Capital One site, did the prequalification and said I can get the Platinum or Journey. Went with the Platinum since my whole purpose is to rebuild my credit. Instantly approved with a $1000 CL (can get cli after 5 consecutive on-time payments), and 24.99% APR. I'm fine with the cl considering that this card is only being used for gas or small Ebay purchases less than $30. So now, I'm going to do this gardening thing and maybe see in June see about getting a Walmart, Paypal or even a Amex card once my scores get up near the mid-600s.

FICO 8 Scores 12/2017: EX-596; TU-604; EQ-591
Current: EX-648; TU-665; EQ-678
AAoA: 4.4 yrs
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: Capital One Platinum Approval!

Congrats on your approvalSmiley Happy. One step closer i say!!Smiley Wink
Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats!  I'm a CapOne fan!

Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations, marcforza1! I started with the Platinum too, and Cap1 has been awesome so far. After your first statement cuts, go onto the chat feature and ask if you can upgrade your card to the no AF Quicksilver. Some say you can do it sooner, but both my husband and I had the offer to PC after the first statement. Also, you will be in Credit Steps and will get an auto increase on your sixth statement, as long as you make your first five payments on-time. You can also request a CLI after your third or fourth statement, and then still get the Credit Steps increase! Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 15
marcforza1
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Congratulations, marcforza1! I started with the Platinum too, and Cap1 has been awesome so far. After your first statement cuts, go onto the chat feature and ask if you can upgrade your card to the no AF Quicksilver. Some say you can do it sooner, but both my husband and I had the offer to PC after the first statement. Also, you will be in Credit Steps and will get an auto increase on your sixth statement, as long as you make your first five payments on-time. You can also request a CLI after your third or fourth statement, and then still get the Credit Steps increase! Smiley Happy

Thanks for the info, Bella007! I will definitely look into that after I make my first payment or two. I have gotten offers for the Quicksilver not long ago but I wanted to start small and then work my way up the cc ladder. 

Message 5 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Gratulations on your approval!

Message 6 of 15
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

@marcforza1 wrote:

Last night after doing some reseaches on apping for the right cc based on my credit score/history, I decided to pull that trigger one more time and went for a Capital One Platinum card. Previous had 3 INQ, with both the Barclaycard Cashforward and Paypal MC denied last week, 46% util on the Freedom card, long history, and two minor collections from two years ago that were paid and closed last summer. Still waiting for the balance of my FU card to post so my util. goes down to about 22%. 

Went on the Capital One site, did the prequalification and said I can get the Platinum or Journey. Went with the Platinum since my whole purpose is to rebuild my credit. Instantly approved with a $1000 CL (can get cli after 5 consecutive on-time payments), and 24.99% APR. I'm fine with the cl considering that this card is only being used for gas or small Ebay purchases less than $30. So now, I'm going to do this gardening thing and maybe see in June see about getting a Walmart, Paypal or even a Amex card once my scores get up near the mid-600s.

Congrats. I told you Capital One was going to work for you! 

Message 7 of 15
marcforza1
Frequent Contributor

@DeeBee78 wrote:

@marcforza1 wrote:

I wasn't even sure if I would get approved again since I didn't use their card wisely the first time back in 2014. Not going to make the same mistake again. On a side note, Chase just sent me another pre-qualified mailer for the Slate card again (5th one in the last 6 months). They must really want me to get that card. At least I have until March 6th to apply for their offer.

Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on the approval!  I received an upgrade to QS after my 2nd statement (I didn't ask until then).

Message 9 of 15
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

@marcforza1 wrote:

@DeeBee78 wrote:

@marcforza1 wrote:

I wasn't even sure if I would get approved again since I didn't use their card wisely the first time back in 2014. Not going to make the same mistake again. On a side note, Chase just sent me another pre-qualified mailer for the Slate card again (5th one in the last 6 months). They must really want me to get that card. At least I have until March 6th to apply for their offer.

Capital One is very forgiving to people who have burned them.There's lots of posts in here about getting back in with them, even after a major burn sometimes. 

As for your Chase preapproval, I would just ignore it. Slate is absolutely useless unless you need a fee-free BT. Most people who get approved for it don't even get enough to transfer their balances. I wouldn't apply for it. 

On a related note, I saw someone use their Slate at Starbucks last week and just shook my head. Smiley Frustrated

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.