Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Platinum Unsecured Approval

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital One Platinum Unsecured Approval

(Forum newbie)

My Chapter 7 discharge is 1 week old. I decided to use the Capital One pre-qual tool they have online, and they presented me with the Platinum (no annual fee) unsecured and a secured card. I applied for the unsecured card (just to see what would happen). <insert shock face> I was approved with a $300 limit and I was approved for a $300 line of credit with Fingerhut.  FICO (unknown at this time) I didn't include my car loan in my chapter 7 and the payment history on that is positive. Is this the norm? What steps do you recommend I take next?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Capital One Platinum Unsecured Approval

Welcome to the boards, glad to have you!

Congrats on the approvals, and your DC. I would use your cards/PIF monthly for the next 6 months while you also work on your reports. Make sure all the accounts that were IIB, state $0bal/IIB.

As your reports continue to update over the next 30-60 days, just sit back and relax. In 6 months, pull your FICO scores, and reports again to make sure they all look correct, and then we will go from there.

Which lenders did you burn?
Message 2 of 9
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

+1PizzaSmiley Happy

Welcome OPSmiley Happy, May i add, wow, only 1 week post discharge and youve already found myFico as a great source Smiley Happy. Ididnt find this site til almost 9 years post discharge. Ive learned alot and if you do it right , youll have a rock solid rebuild. Many of us come from BK7 backgrounds so we know how hard it was and is. Stay away from flavor of the months and pick what works best for your lifestyle and spend and you should be well on your waySmiley Happy Again, welcome.AJC
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you!

Post-divorce accounts such as ATT, Premiere, a rental property, and Comcast (I'll never carry all the credit again). Ann Taylor and New York Co store cards, and tons upon tons of medical bills, which left me drowning so that I couldn't pay the other debts. There is one Premiere account on my credit report currently showing a balance of $479 and has me listed as an authorized user. That's the only thing on there that I have to get taken care of at this time.

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you, AverageJoesCredit!

I've been trolling myFico starting a month before I filed the 7. I have someone who's been through this and suggested the site. I love the success stories - no matter how big or small... they are all huge to me! 

Message 5 of 9
egghead88
Regular Contributor

Congrats on you starting your Journey. Cap 1 is a great rebuilding card. I suggest that you try to get one more card.. ie. Secured Discover and then garden. Use your Cap 1 exclusively for the 1st 3 months and PIF. After 3 months of ontime payments on your Cap 1 card, request a CLI online and then PC it to a Cap 1 QS. It’s a SP, so it won’t affect your gardening. The Discover should un-secure in about 7 months. You will be amazed at your growing FICO score over 6-7 month period.

Good Luck!!
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sounds like a plan! Thank you so much!

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on your new journey.  Welcome to Myfico.  Home of the best credit collectors out there with loads of wisdom to offer.  

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: (UPDATED) Capital One Platinum Unsecured Approval

APPROVED for a Discover It Secured card!

TU560/EXP568/EQ571 

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.