Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Secured CLI - Credit Steps

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Capital One Secured CLI - Credit Steps

Thank you all for the support! Happy to keep progressing on my credit journey. I should mention that I didn't realize the Apple Card only reports to TU, so it doesn't seem like the best choice for credit-building right now - back to the drawing board!

Message 11 of 19
KLEXH25
Valued Contributor

Congratulations on the graduation and Discover card! You're doing great. I was in your shoes 2 years ago, so I can totally relate to your journey. I think applying for another card now and then gardening for a year is a great approach. Or you can wait 6 months and go for your third card. I got a Capital One Platinum first ($300) and then applied for Discover 4 months later, after reading about it here. I got my DCU card about a month later when I joined the CU (they generously approved me for $5k). Who do you bank with now? You can try them or joining a credit union now to build a relationship in case you need a car loan or mortgage down the road. CUs usually have low interest CCs which may come in handy should you ever need it. Also, it might be good to have a Visa or MC in case Discover isn't accepted. Finally, I would stop there and then garden for a year and then go for Chase if that's in your long term plan. By then you'll have 1.5 years of age.

Message 12 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations on your CLI! 👍

Message 13 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you! I currently bank with Citibank, but I'm a little hesitant to go for one of their cards - I tried their prequalifying page and didn't have any actual matched offers, just a "you may be interested in" DoubleCash. Which... I am, but seems like a bit of a stretch given my limited credit history!

A credit union is a thought I hadn't had - I'm not eligible for NFCU, which seems to be the biggest one I see recommended on here, but I'll look into DCU and others - thank you! But yes, whether I jump on something now or wait six months and do it then, it'll be back to the garden until a year from now after that.

Message 14 of 19
donkort
Valued Contributor

Congratulations!

FICO 8: EQ 810; TU 816; EX 822 as of 7/5/2022
Message 15 of 19
addicted_to_credit
Established Contributor

Welcome and congrats! Have you thought about Amex? You can try their pre qualify tool and see what they may be willing to do.

undefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedMy ImageMy ImageMy ImageMy Image
Message 16 of 19
newfossil
Valued Contributor

Congrats!

Starting score - May 2018

April 2021

AAoA - 1 year 6 months
Message 17 of 19
Dreams_Come_True
Regular Contributor

Congratulations on your CLI! 

Message 18 of 19
KLEXH25
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you! I currently bank with Citibank, but I'm a little hesitant to go for one of their cards - I tried their prequalifying page and didn't have any actual matched offers, just a "you may be interested in" DoubleCash. Which... I am, but seems like a bit of a stretch given my limited credit history!

A credit union is a thought I hadn't had - I'm not eligible for NFCU, which seems to be the biggest one I see recommended on here, but I'll look into DCU and others - thank you! But yes, whether I jump on something now or wait six months and do it then, it'll be back to the garden until a year from now after that.

Hmmm, you never know with Citi. I have their Costco card, and my scores are pretty good, but I never get anything with their prequalify tool. I think it's broken lol. PayPal MC is a 2% card, and it's Synchrony who tends to be more generous. However it's still early in your journey, so maybe wait until you hit the year mark. My limits really opened up at that point (but I also had an auto loan, so YMMV). Amex is supposed to be great for new credit, so if you don't want to wait, that's another option. Good luck!

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.