Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One limit increase!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital One limit increase!!

Holy moly everyone. I just accessed my account to check that my recent payment posted to my and I almost fell out of my chair when I saw a credit limit of $1800 (what!?!?). It used to be $300. I didn't request one- they did it automatically Smiley Happy. So now my question- will I get a score bump down (like when you get new credit)? If I continue to use it as if I still only have a $300 limit, will they reverse the increase?

Thanks again!!
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

Re: Capital One limit increase!!

@Anonymous wrote:
Holy moly everyone. I just accessed my account to check that my recent payment posted to my and I almost fell out of my chair when I saw a credit limit of $1800 (what!?!?). It used to be $300. I didn't request one- they did it automatically Smiley Happy. So now my question- will I get a score bump down (like when you get new credit)? If I continue to use it as if I still only have a $300 limit, will they reverse the increase?

Thanks again!!

Congrats on your now "usable" limit - auto luv is always a nice surprise !

Depending on your over all utility, yes you might get a small score increase it depends on your overall utility being reported and how much available credit you have.

Example if you have $100,000 in available credit and carry $5000 in balances an increase on available credit or carried balance of say $2000 won't change a thing, on the other hand if you have $1000 in available credit and carry $400 in balances, an increase to $2000 or 3000 in available credit while still carrying the $400 balance shows a much improved utility factor (use of available credit as a percent of available credit). Over all utilization of available credit is a "scoring factor".   

As far as will they "reverse" the CLI if you never use the full amount - simple answer is no its very unlikely that Cap-1 will "credit limit decrease" your account because you don't max out your card. Any lender "can" increase or decrease your limit at will but increases are much more common than decreases - decreases usually means the creditor is concerned about your account.  

Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

COngratulations! Increases are so very exciting!!!! I too have Cap one and lately for past few months I use it literally just for netflix. i also started at 300. IM now at 2800. I used to use it more frequently until i got better rewards cards. they still gave me the last increase from 15 to 28 like a few days ago. i think you will be fine and i honestly think thats the way to use credit. as if you only have very little available.  I cannot tell you definitively but I strongly believe thats the way to go. im at 794 fico and i pay in full after each usage. once in a blue a statement will cut with a small balance like 1% but thats it and my score has drastically improved.

Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on the auto increase. I had requested one yesterday and was granted, but can't say my extra $100 is quite as much to brag about haha
Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

It is though!  An increase of any amount (at least to me) is something to brag about.  I've had this card since 2012 and this is the first increase I've received.  Although in Capital One's defence- I wasn't very responsible with it those first couple of years.  I am now coming up to 2 years of on-time payments with them.  I've also just this past year have been trying to make sure my statement doesn't show more than a 10-20% utilization.  We'll get there- baby steps- but we'll get there.  

Message 5 of 15
JoeLuvsHisCredit
Valued Contributor

Congrats on the auto increase

Message 6 of 15
cleanitup
Regular Contributor

Congrats on increase.   Nice  

Message 7 of 15
shoegal
Valued Contributor

Congrats! That's some really nice auto luv. Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 15
BungalowMo
Senior Contributor

Congrats on the bump!  Anytime they give you some auto-luv, you know you're doing something right!!

BK 7 discharge 06.24.2020 No Fico score at all. Smiley Sad
Message 9 of 15
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Congrats!  That's a great bump. 

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.