Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Card Successful CLI & Penfed Gold App

tag
cf2701
Regular Contributor

Card Successful CLI & Penfed Gold App

Just chatted with GS and requested a CLI on my Card with success, another 1K increase.  Slow and steady.  I started at $4,500 in August when the card was invite only.  So far, I've gotten 3 successful CLIs, all 1K each.  Appears 90 days is the sweet spot, but I can't say for sure how many in a row they will continue to approve?  My TU scores have improved quite a bit though.

Also, I did a CLI request on my Penfed Power Cash Rewards.  Nada!  So, I used the HP to apply for the Gold card since I've read some have been turned down for CLI but approved for a new card.  Not instant, but I did get a message to send them last two paycheck stubs, and the message says premilinary approval or something like that.  So, we'll see.  I'm hoping for 15K or so as I have a 3K balance transfer I'd like to do. But my PCR card is 10K, so that may not happen.  We'll see!

I HAVE to slow my jets on new credit.  I take good care of it, but I feel like continuing to apply for a couple cards every 6 months is a bad habit?

BBVA Clearpoints $16,000 | Discover $13,900 | CECU Visa $10,000 | NFCU Go Rewards Visa Sig. $18,500 | NFCU CLOC $15,000 | PayPal CB MC $10,000 | Paypal Credit $10,000 | Card $7,500 | AMX Hilton Honors Ascend $2,000 | Wayfair $23,900 | Sportsmans Guide Visa $12,400 | Kohls $3,000 | Capital One Savor One $3,500 | PNC Cash Rewards $17,000 | PenFed Power Cash Rewards $10,000 | PenFed Gold $10,000 | Lowe's $20,000 | Best Buy Visa $4,000 | Home Depot $4,000 | NFCU Platinum $25,000
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Card Successful CLI & Penfed Gold App

Grats on the Applew CLI and good luck on the Gold Smiley Happy

If you cn successfully keep track of a number of cards without a problem apping for a few every 6 mos isnt a problem

Message 2 of 11
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Congratulations on your approval and CLI!
Message 3 of 11
slickwidit
Established Contributor

Congratulations 🎊 🎉 🎈 🍾 

"Achieving your goal is great and everything.. But The journey is where all the amazing stuff happens" *Slickwidit*
Score goals - 800+ (85 points away)
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

But a 12 month cycle allows you to regain more points so you get better terms.
Message 5 of 11
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

Congrats !

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 6 of 11
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Message 7 of 11
CreditAggie
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Congratulations on your Apple Card CLI! Good luck on your PenFed app!

Current Cards (in order of approval):

Current FICO 8 | 9 (February 2024):  
Credit Age:  
Inquiries (6/12/24):  
Banks & CUs:

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

BOOM.  Congrats on the approval and the CLI.

As for app frequency - you *might* want to push that to a couple of cards per YEAR.  There are some datapoints saying you should wait a year to reduce the "new account smell" on your credit report, then app for whatever you plan to app for, then hold off for another year.  But even with that, there's a point you might just want to say "I have enough, I can tend to what I have" and just garden for a while.  I would argue that an HP every now and then for a CLI, while not gardening by this forum's standard, would be preferable to apping for new cards every year... unless you have the revenue and assets of someone like Raj. 

Message 9 of 11
Credit4Growth
Senior Contributor

👍 Congrats on the CLI and good luck to for the SL from PenFed!

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.