Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Amazon Prime Visa - Yet Again!

tag
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Chase Amazon Prime Visa - Yet Again!

Hello friends!

I almost didn't post this, but I changed my mind since I feel the data points might be useful to somebody.  After this I'm done - seriously - and I admit that this approval indicates a need to be done as well.

With that said, I went for the Amazon Prime Visa and was approved for $500, APR 14.74%Smiley Very Happy

I know, the SL is a bit humorous, but my EQ is down a bit due to inquiries (to be expected) so a low SL wasn't totally unexpected, although I admit I was hoping for a bit better.  Since my installment loans have stopped reporting on EQ - which is what Chase pulled - my EQ is down quite a bit from the other two anyway, and now with the recent new accounts/inquiries it's just piled on.  (Chase might have pulled EX as well, but I don't have a way to check for a few more days).

But all is not lost... I have an Chase IHG MasterCard that was my stepping stone back into Chase, and the credit line on it is $9k.  Since it goes virtually unused I plan to move a significant part of its credit line to the Amazon Visa, so I'll end up where I wanted to be, anyway, and with a good APR.  Smiley Very Happy

So here are my data points:  EQ is in the 690s (EX is 765, TU is 792) - all FICO 8 scores.  EQ has been around 30-40 points lower than the other two for a while, but the HPs and new accounts have made an impact.  Total HPs on EQ is nine, including the one done today.  Also, as I've mentioned before my income is modest, so that's likely holding me back as well.  (My USAA Limitless approval was also based on EQ, and it also reflected the lower EQ score.)

It's notable that while my IHG had to go to review, today the Amazon Visa was instantly approved, so perhaps that's a good sign (I had an old CO account with WAMU/Chase from years ago that I suspected would make all future apps go to manual review).  Oddly, had this app gone to review I might have gotten a better SL, but that's OK... I got my foot in the door and I can move over as much CL as I need.  Smiley Wink

I'm tempted to wait it out, though, and use the card hard for a few months to see if they will give me an auto-CLI, but if they gave me $300 (or similar) the weird number would drive me crazy so perhaps that's not the best idea after all...LOL. 

Again, this post/thread is really intended to provide data points to others who might be on the 'cusp' as I was... it's not quite a 'celebration', although I am happy to be approved.  (Please be gentle...)

Thanks!  Smiley Very Happy

Message 1 of 82
81 REPLIES 81
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

Re: Chase Amazon Prime Visa - Yet Again!

IMO, this is by far the easiest card to get approved thru Chase... 

I'd go out on a limb and say that if anyone wants to establish a relationship with Chase, this is probably the one to get your foot in the door with

Congrats UncleB... 

NFCU $60.4k/PenFed $22.5k/Commerce $15K/53 $11K/Synovus $14K/BBT $11K/CapOne $12K/DCU $7.5K/BMO $7.5K/Chase $14.5k/Cabelas $10K/ and many many more!
Total CL $398600, plus car and RV loan.
Ooh. Ooh. Getting closer to that $500K mark!
Message 2 of 82
deltatee
Frequent Contributor

Congrats UncleB! You always seem to have a way to make the card work for you! Amazon was my first credit card and started off at like $500.  But I used it heavily (as heavy as $500 allows) and was receiving auto CLIs from Chase every month.

Message 3 of 82
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Nah dude, if you use Amazon significantly this is a legit card to pick up regardless and as you say you can just shuffle some limit over.  

It was a straight quality of life upgrade for me, and if I'm not using my credit for that **bleep** am I doing anyway?  So congrats anyway senor, and I for one absolutely appreciate the datapoint!

        
Message 4 of 82
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@fltireguy wrote:

IMO, this is by far the easiest card to get approved thru Chase... 

I'd go out on a limb and say that if anyone wants to establish a relationship with Chase, this is probably the one to get your foot in the door with

Congrats UncleB... 

Thanks, fltireguy... no complaint here about Chase... they've been good to me!  Smiley Very Happy

Message 5 of 82
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Congrats UncleB!  I blame you for making me apply at 6 am this morning lol and letting me know it was live at 5% Smiley Happy..  

Limit doesn't matter you got the best APR..  The Amazon card is known to give LOW SL's compared to other Chase cards you might get an auto CLI in a few months if you put some use on it or of course you can move some of the limit from your IHG to amazon to make it more usable as well as you know.

Also if you ever go for a chase card in the future other than Amazon I bet you would get a 10k-15k approval as the 3rd card is their sweet spot usually and for some reason from what I have seen always yields their biggest limit.. Weird I know, maybe I just see weird things like that with peoples profiles and approvals section.  Hotel cards and the likes tend to get bigger CL's as well.  As Rev's approval and mine and yours as well I would of expected higher SL's with Chase, but they just don't work that way with the Amazon Visa for whatever reason.  I need to pull it up on CP DB and see what they are but I pretty much can guarantee you they are from 500 to 5k for most of them and rarely more.

You have yet to have a decline in your great spree!  

Thanks for sharing the data points as it is helpful to all!

Message 6 of 82
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@deltatee wrote:

Congrats UncleB! You always seem to have a way to make the card work for you! Amazon was my first credit card and started off at like $500.  But I used it heavily (as heavy as $500 allows) and was receiving auto CLIs from Chase every month.

Thanks so much, deltatee!  Smiley Very Happy

I try to make 'em all work for me, but this one will I believe earn it's keep fairly easily... if I play my cards right (pun intended) I might even be able to downgrade my BCP to a BCE, and save that AF as well (a significant part of my BCP swipes are for Amazon GCs). 

Thanks so much for the into on the auto-CLIs... I might try my hand at that as well.  Since the card is 2% for restaurants I'll get quite a few swipes using it for that alone in addition to my Amazon purchases... it would be great to get it some auto-CLI luv on it's own before taking from the IHG.   Definitely something to ponder! Smiley Wink

Thanks again!  Smiley Very Happy

Message 7 of 82
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Revelate wrote:

Nah dude, if you use Amazon significantly this is a legit card to pick up regardless and as you say you can just shuffle some limit over.  

It was a straight quality of life upgrade for me, and if I'm not using my credit for that **bleep** am I doing anyway?  So congrats anyway senor, and I for one absolutely appreciate the datapoint!

I appreciate that, rev... I truly do!  Smiley Very Happy

It's easy to post a thread about a 'generous' approval but when one like this comes along (as justified as it is) it's a bit harder to put it all out there.  I admit I hesitated, but I figured what the heck... you're exactly right - we have scores to use, not to admire, and at least now I can truly settle in for a 'long winter's nap'.  Smiley Happy

(Not to mention this card will actually be quite useful; it's not just an account to collect...LOL)

Message 8 of 82
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

OOPS You did it again! Lol! Dont sweat the technique UncleB, this is a good one for ya and if you were gonna go gor it now is the time, might as well let those babies age together and now this way those tykes can enjoy DisneyWorld while browsing Amazon while planning their financial future with Chase hahaSmiley Happy
Nice backup plan with being able to move over some limits.

This is tempting. But for me, 3 factors prevent me from going for it. One , i ve decided no more following the herd for the sake of finding a greener pasteur. Learned my lesson with Penfed. Two, i dont want to go Chase with anything dirty or lots of hps. I wanna be dressed in my big boy suit lol. Three, my equifax is locked frozen and for all intents and purposes dead to me. Just a PIA to even get a free copy with all the shaningans and probs i have with that cra. Ignorance is bliss and well i got this section to live precariously. Congrats again my friend. ENJOYSmiley Happy
Message 9 of 82
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@UncleB wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

I appreciate that, rev... I truly do!  Smiley Very Happy

It's easy to post a thread about a 'generous' approval but when one like this comes along (as justified as it is) it's a bit harder to put it all out there.  I admit I hesitated, but I figured what the heck... you're exactly right - we have scores to use, not to admire, and at least now I can truly settle in for a 'long winter's nap'.  Smiley Happy

(Not to mention this card will actually be quite useful; it's not just an account to collect...LOL)

My view of the world, I post all my wins and losses.  

Sure there are some, even on this forum, who may laugh at my denial, or pathetic approval, but they just don't matter to me (beyond if they belittle someone as, well, I have a sword in addition to my stick but most people are smarter than to do that openly).

I just try to help people and if my application or my denial does that, I've been successful.  That's how I look at it anyway.  This card'll get used, by a slew of people and judging from how Amazon has been doing over the past 15 years, I suspect we'll both be in good company on that even if this gets labelled as a FOTM card here on this forum.

It's then a FOTM card which works for me, nuff said, you do you, I'll do me, or something Smiley Happy.

        
Message 10 of 82
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.