Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase CLI Approval and AARP Denial!?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase CLI Approval and AARP Denial!?

So I have been reevaluating my profile recently and decided to make it a priority to try and get rid of the cards that have an annual fee. I know many of you can find justification for them but as I will soon no longer be able to charge my huge tuition bills to them it would be hard for me to justify the fee. Well so I read that the AARP card from Chase was not subject to 5/24 which I am currently wayyy over, so thinking I could close my BA card and move over the credit that I have to keep my relationship and credit with Chase intact I applied... 7-10 message great, okay, recon time... I attempted recon twice saying I don't care if y'all give me new credit just transfer what I already have.. really every trick in the book. NO Dice. So being a little frustrated as I have spend around $50,000 on this card in the last 10 months I submitted a secure message asking for credit limit increase, telling myself there is no way they are gonna give it to me, and that when it came back as a denial I would for sure cancel the card... well 10 minutes received a message back. "Congratulations your CLI request has been raised to your requested limit of $25,000 (from $15,400) I was speechless... like okay Chase decline me for a new card but you bump me up almost $10k.... whatever you do you. I can now justify the AF a little bit better as this is my highest limit by a long shot and by one of the best (IMO) prime banks there is. Kinda wishing I requested $30k now..I suppose its a good problem to have at 18... 

I have now been blessed by the JPMorgan Credit Overlord, and USAA Credit Gods within 24 hours. Officially locking myself in the garden. Gotta get my mortgage scores up.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chase CLI Approval and AARP Denial!?

I know you're still frustrated and spent a lot of time on the phone but maybe you should call back after your increase to prove to them that they like you.

I'm mad too I paid a bunch of stuff off got denied AARP right after a freedom approval
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks fordguy, my frustration went down after the credit limit increase was approved. I am more just shocked that they would be willing to give me another $10k but not approve me for a $5k aarp card. The only thing I can think of is that my internal score with Chase is very high due to my annual spend and the CLI requests rely more heavily on the internal score?

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

That could be like I said that should be a bargaining chip to try to use the same hard pull to get what you want
Message 4 of 7
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

Which chase card do you have? You might have success if you ask to do a product change on your existing card to one of the chase cards that are not co-branded.

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Themanwhocan wrote:

Which chase card do you have? You might have success if you ask to do a product change on your existing card to one of the chase cards that are not co-branded.

Chase does not allow product changes on co-branded cards. I have the British Airways Visa siggy

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I reconned today, and the guy was willing approve me for the AARP card but said that if I would rather keep my card open he would issue me a statement credit to cover the annual fee. Decided to just stick with my trusty British Card especially now they raised the limit to $25k. 

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.