Re: Chase Freedom Approved - 678 FICO 8

Congrats on your new card!

Message 11 of 17
CreditSage
Regular Contributor

@CreditSage wrote:

@gdale6 wrote:

Grats on the freedom. If you need to move money over to avoid interest then do it, just keep it below 89% of the cards limit. IMHO payng interest trumps Fico score considerations.

Thanks! You're actually addressing a question before I've thought to post it yet... do you think keeping it below 89% will make a big difference compared to say, 100% (score-wise)? Also, since there is no interest the account cannot go over 100% if I park the balance there, is that correct? This is my first BT. 

My NFCU is at 90% and my QS1 53% - - figuring the best way to go about this. If only they approved me for like $20k I would have been much better off Smiley Very Happy

@gdale6 do you think 89% vs. 100% makes a big difference? Can you point me to any articles on this?

Current Open: NFCU AMEX $6,800 CL | Chase Freedom $3,800 CL | QS1 $1,300 CL | BankAmericard $24,000 CL (AU) | NFCU SSL $3,000 |
FICO 8 EXP, EQ, TU: 675-715 (depending on Utl.) | AAoA 3 Years 3 Months | AoYA 0 Months

Closed: American Honda Finance Installment $16,000 paid satisfactorily | Capital One Secured $700 paid satisfactorily | Wells Fargo credit card $3,000 paid charge off settled less than full amount (badie 2015) | Bank of America credit card $1,000 paid charge off settled less than full amount (badie 2015)
Message 12 of 17
sjt
Senior Contributor

@CreditSage wrote:

Chase approved me for the Chase Freedom, $3,800 SL! Considering my two charged off badies from 2015 I feel this is pretty good. 

I will say, I am dissapointed in the SL. I have $5,800 in relatively high interest debt which I was hoping to transfer. Additionally, I put a lot of thought into making sure the card also had an introductory 0% purchase rate which in the end won't come into play. 

After the approved screen showed with my interest rate and SL there was a phone number to call if I had a problem with the SL. I didn't note this (like a dummy) and then clicked the check box acknowledging I understod the terms. Did I screw myself? I have to wait for everything to come in the mail at this point as I skipped the step for all the online access. Any recommendations, let me know. 

Should I go for another BT card to cover all my debt? Perhaps discover pre-approval link.

Congrats on the approval.
Instead of finding a BT card, maybe you should look into an installment loan. They tend to have better rates.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 13 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on your approval !!!!

Message 14 of 17
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@CreditSage wrote:

@gdale6 wrote:

Grats on the freedom. If you need to move money over to avoid interest then do it, just keep it below 89% of the cards limit. IMHO payng interest trumps Fico score considerations.

Thanks! You're actually addressing a question before I've thought to post it yet... do you think keeping it below 89% will make a big difference compared to say, 100% (score-wise)? Also, since there is no interest the account cannot go over 100% if I park the balance there, is that correct? This is my first BT. 

My NFCU is at 90% and my QS1 53% - - figuring the best way to go about this. If only they approved me for like $20k I would have been much better off Smiley Very Happy

Now that you've brought other pertinent info into the equation, I would be very weary of a 89% BT on a new card, and especially considering it is Chase. IDK, this is spooking me so it may spook Chase. What is your aggregate UT?

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 15 of 17
CreditSage
Regular Contributor

20ish percent. I already maxed out the card for BT. Probably pay it off in less than four months. Wait and see what happens.

Current Open: NFCU AMEX $6,800 CL | Chase Freedom $3,800 CL | QS1 $1,300 CL | BankAmericard $24,000 CL (AU) | NFCU SSL $3,000 |
FICO 8 EXP, EQ, TU: 675-715 (depending on Utl.) | AAoA 3 Years 3 Months | AoYA 0 Months

Closed: American Honda Finance Installment $16,000 paid satisfactorily | Capital One Secured $700 paid satisfactorily | Wells Fargo credit card $3,000 paid charge off settled less than full amount (badie 2015) | Bank of America credit card $1,000 paid charge off settled less than full amount (badie 2015)
Message 16 of 17
gjean78
Regular Contributor

congratulation on your approval! keep it going

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.