Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Freedom Flex Approved after second recon

tag
randomguy1
Valued Contributor

Chase Freedom Flex Approved after second recon

I am excited to get this card as I applied on 1/1/2021 to be eliglble for the 5x back on groceries. I was initially declined for number of inquiries. First recon I was on 1/12 and I was denied for too many recent requests for credit or reviews of your credit and too many new accounts. I explained during the first recon that my new accounts were business accounts with Chase and I would like to obtain another personal card to segregate my expenses. The credit analyst said I had too many new accounts. 2 recent business cards and 1 Chase Sapphire Reserve in November. I stated the CSR was a product change and I originally applied to that in 2019 but no dice. Denied. The analyst said I will get another letter in the mail. 

Full disclaimer: I have been instantly approved for a decent amount of Chase cards recently. Providing dates below to show I was not 1/30 or 2/30. 

11/2019 - CSP

10/7/2020 - CIU

11/27/2020 - CIC

I waited for my letter and it stated I was denied for the same reasons above. Since I was 4/24 at the time of application,  I wanted until 1/24/2021 when another account dropped off my record. I called recon today and was connected to an analyst. While she was reviewing my app, we were disconnected when she put me on hold (about 4th hold). I waited 10 minutes to see if the analyst would call me back, but she did not. I called back to the recon line @ 1-888-270-2127 and spoke to another analyst. I let her know I was disconnected but she could not reconnect me. She started another recon process and it took 27 minutes for a full review. She verified my income, job status, mortgage payment, and reason for amount of inquiries. She stated she could see that most of my inquiries for mortgage. She asked me for my reason for a new card and I was honest. I liked the Freedom's categories and the other cards were for business purchases.

Stats: I was approved at $5400 and the highest APR @ 23.74 (no big deal as I believe in PIF every month)

Credit score: 752

Pulled: EX only in Texas

I will probably cool my jets in the Garden until August when 2 more accounts reach 24 months and a few inquiries fall off my report and a few others age over 1 year.

p.s. I asked for the card to be expedited, the analyst performed a warm transfer to a CSR agent and the card was successfully expedited. He also confirmed that I signed up with the 5x grocery bonus for 1 year that is no longer offered (due to my appplication date). Pretty happy with how everything turned out, I was afraid I would be denied since I already was denied on a recon and my recent application velocity with Chase. Thanks for reading!

19 REPLIES 19
MisterWives
Regular Contributor

Re: Chase Freedom Flex Approved after second recon

Congrats! That's quite the effort, but I assume you're building quite the Chase ecosystem

Wants: PenFed Pathfinder Rewards(4x pts travel), PenFed Platinum Rewards Visa Signature (5pts Gas, 3pts Restaurants and Grocery), U.S. Bank Cash+ (5% Categories), Chase Freedom Flex (5% Rotating Categories, 5% Travel, 3% Restaurants)
Message 2 of 20
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Congratulations on your approval! Great job on the reconsideration.
Message 3 of 20
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Interesting they reversed themselves on the second recon, not a usual move for Chase but grats on getting the card through and approved Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 20
CreditAggie
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Congratulations on your Chase Freedom Flex approval!

Current Cards (in order of approval):

Current FICO 8 | 9 (February 2024):  
Credit Age:  
Inquiries (6/12/24):  
Banks & CUs:

Message 5 of 20
randomguy1
Valued Contributor

@gdale6 wrote:

Interesting they reversed themselves on the second recon, not a usual move for Chase but grats on getting the card through and approved Smiley Happy

I'm quite convincing. Nah, probably just lucky. Smiley Tongue I am quite fortunate Chase values my business. I definitely put the most spend across all my cards with them.

Message 6 of 20
cashorcharge
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Nicely done....even jumping through all those hoops!  That's terrific!  Congratulations on your ultimate approval!! 🎉🥂

Message 7 of 20
Credit4Growth
Senior Contributor

😄Congratulations on the recon approval!  Happy to have read that it worked out well and that you did received the 5x on groceries👍

Thank you for sharing you experience.

Message 8 of 20
Credit4Growth
Senior Contributor

@randomguy1 wrote:

@gdale6 wrote:

I'm quite convincing. Nah, probably just lucky. Smiley Tongue I am quite fortunate Chase values my business. I definitely put the most spend across all my cards with them.

I would think that did help in addition to you giving a simple and very sensible recon explanation. 👏👏👏

If your in business it make sense to me that you would have good communication and sales skills.  Kudos to you!

Message 9 of 20
gingerflower
Valued Contributor

Congratulations on your reconsideration and approval!

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.