cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Freedom Unlimited approval odds? (APPROVED!!!)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase Freedom Unlimited approval odds? (APPROVED!!!)

Hi guys! I’m new to the forums. I want to know your opinion on my approval odds for Chase Freedom Unlimited. This is what my profile looks like:

-FICO scores:
EQ: 750
EX: 748
TU: 735

- 3 credit cards:
1. Visa Cash Rewards Bank of America on October 16, 2017. (1.2 years) $2,400 cl.
2. Discover it card on July 1, 2018 (6 months by the end of the month) $3,300 cl.
3. Amex Everyday on September 8, 2018 (almost 4 months) $6,000 cl.

- Two student loans ($12,000) being paid each.
- All my CC utili. are 1% or below.
- No lates or baddies on my report.
- AAoA is 1 year 3 months.
- My oldest account is a closed student loan paid in full from 5 years ago. My current oldest active account (student loan) is 2.7 years.
- Inquiries:
TU: 1
EQ: 3
EX: 3
- Income: $102k
- No previous relationship with Chase. I never get prequalified offers from them.

Any recomendations? What do you think about my approval odds? I really want to get a Chase card because of the 5/24 rule before applying for any other card. I would really appreciate your answers! Thanks a lot!

***UPDATE***:

Applied on January 02, 2019 and got instantly approved for the Chase FU with a $7,900 SL. Thank you everyone! I'm so happy! 

Happy new year all!

13 REPLIES 13
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

Re: Chase Freedom Unlimited approval odds?

I think you have good approval odds. You've got at least a year of history, an excellent payment record, low utilization and good scores.

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Hi guys! I’m new to the forums. I wanted to know your opinion for my approval odds for Chase Freedom Unlimited. This is what my profile looks like:

-FICO scores:

- 3 credit cards:
1. Visa Cash Rewards Bank of America on October 16, 2017. (1.2 years) $2,400 cl.
2. Discover it card on July 1, 2018 (6 months by the end of the month) $3,300 cl.

- My oldest account is a closed student loan paid in full from 5 years ago. My current oldest active account (student loan) is 2.7 years.
- Inquiries:
- No previous relationship with Chase. I never get prequalified offers from them.

Any recomendations? What do you think about my approval odds? I really want to get a Chase card because of the 5/24 rule before applying for any other card. I would really appreciate your answers! Thanks a lot!

Welcome to MyFICO

I agree with @Adkins that your approval odds are very good.  Question though about your choice of the Freedom Unlimited vs other Chase cards.  Why that one over the Freedom?  Without another Chase product like the CSP or CSR that would allow you to transfer the UR points to travel partners, the FU card is just a 1.5% cash back card.  There are other cash back cards that give you 2%. I’d think about the Freedom and review their typical quarterly bonus categories to see if the 5% earnings for that card might be a better fit for your spending on credit cards.  The other option because you only have 3 cards (if you have not obtained any other revolving credit account within the last 2 years), is to apply for either of the Freedom cards and the CSP or CSR.  That way you would be able to maximize the benefits of Chase’s reward program.  Don’t apply solely for the Freedom Unlimited just because you want a Chase card.  By itself there are better options out there. 

As fir being prequalified, don’t get too hung up that you don’t see any preapprovals online.  Lots of people, including myself, have been approved for their cards without any prior approval.  If there is one where you live, consider visiting one of their bank branches to see if you have any offers available. Otherwise just apply outright and not worry about being preapproved.  Good luck if you apply for a card. 

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, you can get it for sure. It is just a 1.5% card, however.

If you want to get into chase system, maybe consider sapphire preferred if you do lot of travel or dining. Now if you don't travel or dine, Chase system won't do much for you. In that case, a straight up 2% cash back like Citi double cash may be better.

Other cards to consider would be PayPal mastercard, us bank cash plus, fidelity Visa.

If you are okay with small AF, maybe check out savor and venture.

Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Hi guys! I’m new to the forums. I wanted to know your opinion for my approval odds for Chase Freedom Unlimited. This is what my profile looks like:

-FICO scores:

- 3 credit cards:

- Inquiries:

Welcome to MyFICO

I agree with @Adkins that your approval odds are very good.  Question though about your choice of the Freedom Unlimited vs other Chase cards.  Why that one over the Freedom?  Without another Chase product like the CSP or CSR that would allow you to transfer the UR points to travel partners, the FU card is just a 1.5% cash back card.  There are other cash back cards that give you 2%. I’d think about the Freedom and review their typical quarterly bonus categories to see if the 5% earnings for that card might be a better fit for your spending on credit cards.  The other option because you only have 3 cards (if you have not obtained any other revolving credit account within the last 2 years), is to apply for either of the Freedom cards and the CSP or CSR.  That way you would be able to maximize the benefits of Chase’s reward program.  Don’t apply solely for the Freedom Unlimited just because you want a Chase card.  By itself there are better options out there. 

As fir being prequalified, don’t get too hung up that you don’t see any preapprovals online.  Lots of people, including myself, have been approved for their cards without any prior approval.  If there is one where you live, consider visiting one of their bank branches to see if you have any offers available. Otherwise just apply outright and not worry about being preapproved.  Good luck if you apply for a card. 

Thank you so much for your answer! About the CSP, that’s my main goal here! Smiley Wink it’s just that I read a lot about it and I have asked some people, and I mostly have found that it would be good to build a relationship with Chase with an easier-to-get card before applying for the CSP after having a little history with them. I also just have 1 card with over 5k in CL (Amex) which is only about 4 months and I didn’t want to look like desperate for credit. I’m glad you think I should apply for it, so now I’m even more insterested in doing it right away. I was aiming to get the Freedom Unlimited and not the Freedom because I already use my Discover it for rotating categories. However I do want to get that CSP and I’m aware that combining those two Chase card can get you lots of rewards. Smiley Happy Thank you!!!

Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Thank you so much for your answer! About the CSP, that’s my main goal here! Smiley Wink it’s just that I read a lot about it and I have asked some people, and I mostly have found that it would be good to build a relationship with Chase with an easier-to-get card before applying for the CSP after having a little history with them. I also just have 1 card with over 5k in CL (Amex) which is only about 4 months and I didn’t want to look like desperate for credit. I’m glad you think I should apply for it, so now I’m even more insterested in doing it right away. I was aiming to get the Freedom Unlimited and not the Freedom because I already use my Discover it for rotating categories. However I do want to get that CSP and I’m aware that combining those two Chase card can get you lots of rewards. Smiley Happy Thank you!!!

That’s a good plan and yes, you can reap some very nice rewards using the double and even triple combination.

Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Yeah, you can get it for sure. It is just a 1.5% card, however.

If you want to get into chase system, maybe consider sapphire preferred if you do lot of travel or dining. Now if you don't travel or dine, Chase system won't do much for you. In that case, a straight up 2% cash back like Citi double cash may be better.

Other cards to consider would be PayPal mastercard, us bank cash plus, fidelity Visa.

If you are okay with small AF, maybe check out savor and venture.

Thanks!! Like I said to Irish80, the CSP is my main goal here because I do a lot of travel. I just wanted to build a relationship with them with an easier-to-get card before pulling the trigger. Also wanted to get both card to maximize points. However, I look forward to it before applying any other cards because of the 5/24. About that Citi Double Cash, they denied me for that in June 2018. Maybe because I only had 8 months of credit card history and only 1 CC? I definitely want to try again, but after Chase. Thanks again Smiley Wink!

Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Adkins wrote:
I think you have good approval odds. You've got at least a year of history, an excellent payment record, low utilization and good scores.

Thanks for your reply! I hope I get approved! Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 14
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Adkins wrote:

Thanks for your reply! I hope I get approved! Smiley Happy

You're welcome! You are on the right path, building a relationship with Chase first, before going after the CSR. Good luck! 

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 9 of 14
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

I think your odds are really good. I got the Chase FU when I had very little credit history but two recent new cards. 

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.