Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Pre-qualification Question - Update: Approved

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase Pre-qualification Question - Update: Approved

I just opened myself a Checking account with Chase, online, and on the "Just for you" page I see a pre-qualified offer for Saphire Preferred. I have an extremely thin credit file. 1 year 3 cards in total, less than 5k limits in total. I thought Chase was more selective. Does that mean I will get the card if I apply?

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chase Pre-qualification Question

Welcome to the forums!

One main indicator is to check if it shows a single APR or a range. If it shows a single APR (preferably the lowest of the APR range on the public site), then you have a decent change if your income supports a $5k SL. Good luck, OP!

Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got approved with 6 months of credit history (https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Approvals/CSP-Approved-Limited-History/td-p/5508114). As others mentioned, check for APR - if it’s solid APR you have good chance.
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

IMO. Chase has nothing to loose if you take this card. They love seeing thin files, and nothing to long, and stuff that takes a long time for them to review.

Most of the time when you apply its a computer doing it.

Message 4 of 12
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

IMO. Chase has nothing to loose if you take this card. They love seeing thin files, and nothing to long, and stuff that takes a long time for them to review.

Umm, that's just a tad bit inaccurate. 

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

The financial instituion I worked for had computer algorithyms. While I can not tell anybody whom I worked for, I can say they are a " big entity". This is why you have a reconsideration line when the computer gets it wrong, and the "Please wait 7-10 days" It means the computer got it wrong. Certain writing principles go in to place. Many auto loans are done this way as well. They generate a score, and if the score meets their writing guidelines then it will kick back approved.

While audit teams do generally review the applications we can not see hundreds, and hundreds of applications each day.

@Remedios wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Message 6 of 12
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

The financial instituion I worked for had computer algorithyms. While I can not tell anybody whom I worked for, I can say they are a " big entity". This is why you have a reconsideration line when the computer gets it wrong, and the "Please wait 7-10 days" It means the computer got it wrong. Certain writing principles go in to place. Many auto loans are done this way as well. They generate a score, and if the score meets their writing guidelines then it will kick back approved.

While audit teams do generally review the applications we can not see hundreds, and hundreds of applications each day.

@Remedios wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

While that may be the case for whichever FI you may have worked for, the actual bolded statement, in specific to the product the OP was interested in applying for is inaccurate.   That's likely what @Remedios may have been referring to.

Every lender has their own matrix criteria for specific products and threshold requirements, but to say that Chase "loves thin files" when it comes to the CSP is a blanket statement that would not apply 100% of the time.

Message 7 of 12
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

The OP's question is about Chase lending practices, not places where some of us may or may not work.

I've taken the liberty of pointing out  inaccuracies in the post again. 

If you have any DPs on Chase loving thin and 'nothing to long' files, I would love to see them. 

Message 8 of 12
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@FinStar wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

While that may be the case for whichever FI you may have worked for, the actual bolded statement, in specific to the product the OP applied for is inaccurate.   That's likely what @Remedios may have been referring to.

Every lender has their own matrix criteria for specific products and threshold requirements, but to say that Chase "loves thin files" when it comes to the CSP is a blanket statement that would not apply 100% of the time.

Jinx

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I decided to pull the plug and got approved with 11k. My highest limit. I really wanted this card as I have to travel quite often. Thanks for the replies!

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.