Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Saphire Reserve 30k approved

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase Saphire Reserve 30k approved

Hello I am new to this forum I just found this forum googling couple days ago. I was curious how much limit other people are getting on this chase credit card. Btw I got instantly approved for 30K credit limit waiting to arrive in the mail.

Little bit about myself. My credit has been established for over 15 years never a single late payment always paid in full.

I have 5 credit cards, one mortgage, one car lease. Credit card limits ranging from 8k to 23k. Except for this new chase card I have not applied for creditcard or any other loan since last year june. I have total of 110k in credit card limit this includes new chase credit card.

My credit score is above 800 across all 3 agencies

I was reading this forum and

Some people are having total creditcard limits close to half million even without having creditscore as high as I do and that must feel very safe in case of rainy days.

I decided to increase my credit limit. What would be the ideal way to do this without hurting my score?

Right now I only have one hard inquiry on my experian (For new chase) and one hard inquiry on transunion (last year citi card)

Some people say that hard pull dont matter at all if your credit is above 800 is that true?

How many hard pulls are considered okay for credit score above 800?

Some people did like 12 inquirys per credit agency in a year totalling 24 hard pulls can I do the same?

Perhaps since i wont need any loans in the future for very long time can I apply credit cards as much as I can until bank turn me down?

I am very serious about bumping my credit limit to half mill or so. Please only post if you have a good advice for me.

Thanks guys I will really appreciate the help
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chase Saphire Reserve 30k approved

Hi there and welcome,

Congrats on your approval!
I was recently approved for the CSR with a SL of $33,500 and my Fico 8 credit scores are below 800 across all three. Fico 8 are not the scores that banks look at for credit cards however. There are separate credit card scores. The more relevant question has to do with income I think. If you have several cards with them, my understanding is that Chase generally has a policy limiting the credit they extend you to about 30-50% of your income across any cards you may have with them.

Beyond that, after having the card for some time and developing a good history with the card and with Chase, it shouldn't be difficult to ask for a credit limit increase a few months down the line. It's usually best to wait and not make that request immediately after receiving the card.
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous
Message 3 of 12
xaximus
Valued Contributor

Congrats on the approval and great SL.

A few bits of advice - Income matters. Also, since your profile has been stable for many years, adding one or two shouldn't cause any/little damage. Just keep a few things in mind, each card you add will bring down your AAoA. Also, I wouldn't just start adding any/every card. Get cards that are useful to you. This way you don't have a whole bunch of useless cards. Since your scores are high, I would look at cards that work for you, i.e. travel/points/CB cards.

Also - be careful with Chase, they are known to shut down accounts if they see credit seeking behavior. Go slow and steady and you'll do fine.

Scores - All bureaus 770 +
TCL - Est. $410K
Message 4 of 12
19eighty5
Senior Contributor

Congratulations!

FICO 8 (Feb 2018):EX- 519, TU- 530, EQ- 545
FICO 8 (Sept 2022):EX- 706, TU- 685, EQ- 684
What's in my wallet:

Message 5 of 12
ChessChik47
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Hello I am new to this forum I just found this forum googling couple days ago. I was curious how much limit other people are getting on this chase credit card. Btw I got instantly approved for 30K credit limit waiting to arrive in the mail.  Welcome to the forum and congrats on your approval!!

Little bit about myself. My credit has been established for over 15 years never a single late payment always paid in full.

I have 5 credit cards, one mortgage, one car lease. Credit card limits ranging from 8k to 23k. Except for this new chase card I have not applied for creditcard or any other loan since last year june. I have total of 110k in credit card limit this includes new chase credit card.

My credit score is above 800 across all 3 agencies

I was reading this forum and

Some people are having total creditcard limits close to half million even without having creditscore as high as I do and that must feel very safe in case of rainy days.

I decided to increase my credit limit. What would be the ideal way to do this without hurting my score?  Automatic and soft pull credit limit increases are the best way to increase your existing limits without hurting your score.

Right now I only have one hard inquiry on my experian (For new chase) and one hard inquiry on transunion (last year citi card)

Some people say that hard pull dont matter at all if your credit is above 800 is that true?  False.  Your score could go down a few points with a hard pull to your credit.  It may not be a significant drop, but to say "it doesn't matter" isn't true.

How many hard pulls are considered okay for credit score above 800?  Not sure there's a hard and fast number.  Each hard pull will have an effect.

Some people did like 12 inquirys per credit agency in a year totalling 24 hard pulls can I do the same?  If you want to, but why would you want to?  You have quite a bit in trade lines already.  Go for the soft pull credit limit increases if your lender offers them.  (if you list who your cards are with we can tell you who does soft pulls OR you can  use the search function and find out all the info yourself).

Perhaps since i wont need any loans in the future for very long time can I apply credit cards as much as I can until bank turn me down?  Why would you want to do this?  If you need another card, I suggest you research the card you want then ensure your credit profile is at its best when you apply and hopefully you'll be approved.  Who wants to keep applying until they are denied?  Each application will probably be a hard pull to your credit and have an impact on your score. PLUS adding a bunch of new accounts will hurt your average age of accounts and your score will see a pretty significant drop.

I am very serious about bumping my credit limit to half mill or so. Please only post if you have a good advice for me.

Thanks guys I will really appreciate the help

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Message 6 of 12
DrZoidberg
Established Contributor

Don't pay attention to most of the half-million dollar total credit lines. They are mostly full of junk high limit store cards or $10k limit on like 20 cards. 

It's true, it's a good idea to have emergency credit limits and access to credit. But you only really need 3-5 cards with good limits. Get the cards you need and grow them. 

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Welcome to the forums - you will get lots of different opinions and ideas to think about - Here are mine 

I decided to increase my credit limit. What would be the ideal way to do this without hurting my score? The low hanging fruit would be to ask for CLI's on your existing accounts that use SP's instead of HP's. There is a list somewhere in the forums of what banks SP vs HP. 

Some people say that hard pull dont matter at all if your credit is above 800 is that true? Not true. But it does vary based on other factors. If your credit file is 20 yrs old - 10 hard pulls are viewed very differently versus a 1 year old credit file with 10 hard pulls. And scorewise - HPs lowers it a few points not a big deal - but some CC banks are more sensitive to too many HPs than others. 

How many hard pulls are considered okay for credit score above 800? Again - depends on what the CC bank thinks the answer is. But I would say 2 every 6 months is safe. They stay on your file for 24 months - so 8 or fewer - staggered and not all at once. Again I would go back to stress the CC banks tolerance of HPs varies.

Some people did like 12 inquirys per credit agency in a year totalling 24 hard pulls can I do the same? Sure you could - but not all at once obviously. And it may cause some banks to decline your application citing too many recent inquiries. Chase is well known that if you get approved and then proceed to apply for alot more cards - to reverse thier decision and immediately close your new account. I think Citibank and others may follow a similiar policy. Staggered apps are a better way to go in my opinion. 1 or 2 new accounts every 6 months tops. 

Perhaps since i wont need any loans in the future for very long time can I apply credit cards as much as I can until bank turn me down? Oh Hell No - that is the first thought that popped into my mind. As mentioned above - banks can reverse their decisions if they see any signs of fraud or unusual activity that is not consistant with your previous credit history. I think 20 apps in a month would be a major red flag and have consequences. 

SUMMARY - You want to hit 500k in limits, cool. Set a reasonable goal. This will take time to do it right. You are at 100k now - try and get to 200k in a year. And then 300k in 2 years etc. If I were you, right now I would add 2 more cards to your portfolio that can grow over time. You have Chase - no 1 bank is likely to give you a total of 500k in total credit unless your a millionaire - so you will have to spread it out. I recommend you establish a relationship with Amex, Citibank and Discover. Get one card from each and start building trust and history with them. Then next year if you want the larger credit lines - credit union cards like Pen Fed and Navy Fed CU are examples of banks that will offer higher CLs.

Anyways - like I said you will get a lot of different advice and others may have different ideas than me. Take it all in and then decide what makes sense to you. 

Good luck on your journey and please keep us posted ! 

Message 8 of 12
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

RunSmiley Wink
Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks everyone for help. I really appreciate very detailed answers. Will keep you guys updated!

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.