cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Sapphire Reserve - Update: Approved!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase Sapphire Reserve - Update: Approved!

I applied for a Chase Sapphire Preferred back in June 2016. I was denied both online and thru the reconsideration line.  When I called the reconsideration line, I believe the rep was on the fence but stated that since my highest credit line is below $5k (min for CSP) she couldn't approve.  My highest credit line at the time was with Cap QS for $3.5k

Currently I have 2 cards: Cap QS CL $6.5k and Cap Platinum $1k.  I got a car loan a few months ago too so have a good credit mix.  Age of credit history 8 years. All utilization is below 30%. Scores per CK are TU 717 and Equifax 716.  FICO experian score is 670 per Discover site.  I have one charge off from Chase account opened in 2008 scheduled to come off in May of this year.   Prequalification on Chase's site is not showing anything.  My question to you guys is should I apply again?  I just don't want any futile hard inquiry.  I know the 100k points at branch expire on Sunday.  So I am thinking should I apply?  

Mod note:  I've made a minor update to your title and moved your thread to 'Approvals'.  Feel free to edit the title yourself if you would like.

--UB

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chase Sapphire Reserve. Apply. Got denied for CSP in June 2016

Please correct me if I'm wrong....Reserve minimum is 10k......so no, don't apply. 

Message 2 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Reserve minimum IS 10k. But you shouldnt be risk averse just because of a hard inquiry. 100% try to apply before saturday, this shouldn't even be a question to be honest. Worst case you can just apply for a freedom/freedom unlimited as well, two fantastic cards, to start a relationship with chase, and which will work as an excellent pair with your eventual CSR. Inquiries only impact you're score for a year, You just got a car, unless you're shopping for a home mortgage in the next 6 months, I wouldn't worry about the inq impact....at all. 

Do it. 

Message 3 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

It maybe a bit of a long shot especially if you have an old  charge off account with Chase. Even though it's due to come off of your credit report this year... Chase I'm sure still has a record of it and they tend to have a VERY LONG memory. 

You are building a nice credit profile, I just don't know if Chase will be willing to forgive an old debt that was never paid back that was owed to them. If you do decide to apply, definitely report back. 

Good luck!!!

Message 4 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Went into the branch on Saturday, March 11th, to apply. Branch pre-qualify didn't show any cards that I would be preapproved for. I applied and initially got rejected due to the charge-off I had mentioned in my initial post. After talking with the reconsideration line, chase Branch representative called them without me asking . Got approved for 10k line. The reconsideation Rep just asked me circumstances for charge off.

Thanks for everyone's input!
Message 5 of 18
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: Chase Sapphire Reserve - Update: Approved!

Huge congrats on the approval, and special thanks for the great data points!   screamer.gif

Leonardo-DiCaprio-Toast-Fireworks-Gif.gif

Message 6 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Went into the branch on Saturday, March 11th, to apply. Branch pre-qualify didn't show any cards that I would be preapproved for. I applied and initially got rejected due to the charge-off I had mentioned in my initial post. After talking with the reconsideration line, chase Branch representative called them without me asking . Got approved for 10k line. The reconsideation Rep just asked me circumstances for charge off.

Thanks for everyone's input!

Awesome story and approval!!! Congrats Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 18
GetMeSlick
Established Contributor

congrats op. 

4/2024 FICO TU-840|EX - 838|EQ -840
Total Credit - $535K+
Starting Score: 640
Current Score: 840
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Gardening since Mar/2024
Message 8 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on a very nice approval..great story too...Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chase Sapphire Reserve - Update: Approved!

To the OP, quick question: in fairly new to the credit card "points and bonus" world, I mainly just use for $0 balance transfer fees...
What is the incentive/why would someone apply for a chase sapphire reserve card that has a $450 annual fee.. even if it is waived for the first year?
Thanks!
Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.