Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Sapphire Reserve approval

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase Sapphire Reserve approval

Well.  Pulled the trigger on the card.  Approved instantly.

CL - $34k

Rate - 16.99% (confirmed with agent that rate was lowered since approval)

Mod note:  I've updated your subject to reflect your approval; feel free to change/edit if you would like.  --UB

Message 3 of 29
28 REPLIES 28
iced
Valued Contributor

Re: Chase Sapphire Reserve approval and limit question.

@Anonymous wrote:

@Adkins wrote:

1.5 UR points per dollar spent on the Unlimited. You'd use the Unlimited instead of the Freedom if you're purchasing something that isn't in the Freedoms 5% category (1.5% is better than 1%) This way you can maximize points no matter what you buy. 

I understand that, but isn't 1.5 UR points less of a value than getting 2% CB on another card?  That's the part I'm not understanding.  I've heard people say that with UR and using the trifecta the FU is a great card to have.  Perhaps if the UR are redeemed for travel or something where the value can exceed 1.5% back compared to a 2% card?

You sort of answered your own question. For those who know how to use UR, no way CB compares to them. I get 6-9 cents per UR point, so that's comparing 2% CB versus 9-15% CB to me. I'll take the 1.5 UR, thank you.

For those who don't travel much and/or know how to use the reward system to their benefit, stick with CB. 

Message 1 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Honestly, CSR makes a whole lotta sense for almost everyone except for shut-ins I think.

If you already spend just $300 on travel (and remember the travel category includes things other than airfare and hotels), you can remove that from the AF calculation entirely.  That leaves you with $150/year in AF if you ignore all other perks.

You get 4.5% in travel redemption on travel and dining.  So if you spend $3333 per year on travel and dining ($278 per month average, even if just dining), you earn $150 in rewards towards travel.  But let's compare it to Citi DC 2% -- you have to spend $6000 a year on travel + dining to beat out Citi DC now on your travel + dining expenses, or $500/month.  Actually, $6000 on traveling+dining PLUS $300 on travel alone (annual credit).

If you are already spending $300/month on dining, that leaves you with $2400+$300 a year to spend on travel.  $2700 on airfare, hotels, car rentals, cruises, taxis, buses (!!!), ferries, highway tolls, parking lots/garages, passenger trains, etc.  So $300/month on dining + $225/month on those "travel" categories which can include your train to work or the parking lot you park in.

It's a no brainer, really.

The math gets complicated if you have the Uber dining card, of course, or even the Capital One Savor, but still I think CSR works for 70+% of typical American households.

Message 2 of 29
RicHowe
Valued Contributor

Whoop! Whoop!

Message 4 of 29
bourgogne
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Well.  Pulled the trigger on the card.  Approved instantly.

CL - $34k

Rate - 17.24%

I said $30-35K earlier!  do i win a door prize or anything? no! this forum is so CHEAP!  well done, that is excellent news

Message 5 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

So, question for those of you who were later approvals (not in the original batch when the card first launched).

Is the card still metal? I have heard conflicting reports that only the original launch were metal, then they ran out and issued plastic, then I heard the replaced those who had plastic ones with metal ones? Also have heard that some people have only plastic ones and thats it?

Message 6 of 29
bourgogne
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

So, question for those of you who were later approvals (not in the original batch when the card first launched).

Is the card still metal? I have heard conflicting reports that only the original launch were metal, then they ran out and issued plastic, then I heard the replaced those who had plastic ones with metal ones? Also have heard that some people have only plastic ones and thats it?

they were never metal, bonded laminate that will split apart with use and this is what you will receive.  its no amex card as far as looks and feel goes, not even close

Message 7 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@bourgogne wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

they were never metal, bonded laminate that will split apart with use and this is what you will receive.  its no amex card as far as looks and feel goes, not even close

So what is this about?

https://thepointsguy.com/2016/10/csr-metal-cards-back-in-stock/

Message 8 of 29
bourgogne
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@bourgogne wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

So what is this about?

https://thepointsguy.com/2016/10/csr-metal-cards-back-in-stock/

its about people not knowing what they are talking about.  csp and csr's are the same and are not metal, I have both.  here is my csr with the laminate coming off.  the amex in contrast is all metal and is a wonderful thing to behold

csr lam.jpg

Message 9 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

To those of you saying the card is metal, you're wrong.

To those of you saying the card isn't metal, you're wrong. 

If you can't tell I'm a glass half empty king of guy. Anyway, the CSR and CSP are metal sandwiched between pieces of plastic. So they are both metal and plastic. Not as heavy, strong, and durible as a full metal card like the Ritz-Carlton card. But it certainly isn't as flimsy as a pure plastic card. 

Message 10 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.