cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase United Explorer automatic approval even with questionable 5/24 status!

tag
MrT_521
Regular Contributor

Chase United Explorer automatic approval even with questionable 5/24 status!

I am at 4/24 for sure, and I was added as an AU to my wife's CFU recently. While I know that being an AU does not count towards 5/24, I have heard that it does by default, but that recon can take care of it.

I need to shore up my United MileagePlus account for an upcoming J award ticket, and the Explorer's 60k/70k SUB (up from 40k via a promotion) was just the enticement I needed. The $95 AF is waived the first year. It also includes other benefits such as two United Club one time passes per year and $100 Global Entry credit. We are expats who travel fairly regularly (well, at least we did until 2020...), so the travel benefits are useful to us.

Another possible roadblock I have is that my income is barely more than my total Chase credit. The minimum SL for the Explorer is $5k. I do have plenty of available credit on other Chase cards that I could move around if necessary, so I wasn't too worried about that.

Anyway, I applied on Monday, Feb 8. It immediately went to the 30 day notice. I kept calling the automated line, and it never changed from that. I was planning to wait until the message went to "7 to 10 days" or "14 days" or something, and then call recon. I just expected that calling recon would be necessary because of my 5/24 status and Chase credit limit vs income.

This morning (I'm on UTC time, same as the UK) I logged into my Chase account, and a new credit card was added to the list! While I was expecting to be able to eventually be approved for the card, I was not expecting to get it without help from recon.

They gave me a $5,300 SL. It's almost tax time, so hitting the SUB will be quite convenient even without organic spend. I might even do the extra $3k spend for the extra 10k MileagePlus points.

Personal Cards

Business Cards

Debit Cards

FICO 8 Scores (as of Dec 14, 2022)

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Re: Chase United Explorer automatic approval even with questionable 5/24 status!

Congratulations!

Message 2 of 15
BAD_UP
Established Contributor

Re: Chase United Explorer automatic approval even with questionable 5/24 status!

Congrats on your Chase United Explorer Approval🎉👍

Starting Score: 541
Nov 15 2020 score: EQ FICO8 635, TU8 636, EX8 644
Dec 15 2020 score: EQ FICO8 633, TU8 658, EX8 661
Jan 15 2021 Score EQ FICO8 698, TU8 689, EX8 706
Feb15 2021 Score EQ FICO8 704, TU8 702 , EX8 712 Goal Score: All Scores 760+,

In the garden since 1/28/21
Recently App. 1/3/21 & 1/23/21
What will you attempt to do if you knew could not Fail?
Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I hear if you fly United in certain ways or were a member for long enough you may bypass it 

Congrats!

Message 4 of 15
firefox100
Valued Contributor

congratulations.

Message 5 of 15
CreditAggie
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Congratulations on your United Explorer approval!

Current Cards (in order of approval):

Current FICO 8 | 9 (April 2024):  
Credit Age:  
Inquiries (6/12/24):  
Banks & CUs:

Message 6 of 15
randomguy1
Valued Contributor

Congrats on your United card! Where do you plan on traveling with the J?

Message 7 of 15
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

Congratulations on the new United Explorer approval!

Message 8 of 15
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Congratulations on your approval!
Message 9 of 15
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Grats on the UE approval Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.