Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase and NFCU said yes, cap one no :/.

tag
huntnfishnguy09
Established Member

Chase and NFCU said yes, cap one no :/.

Applied for the CLOC from NFCU, instant approval for $15,000.  Also got the Chase double cash card with a SL of $4,400 which I didn't think was bad considering some of the other limits I've seen.  Applied for both Cap one venture one and QS cards with immediate denials.  Scores were 733, 733, 729.  At the time of applying had zero inquires on any of my reports AAoA was 9 years.  Utilization is around 25%.  Had two missed payments on a card back in 2010 other than that my reports are squeaky clean.  Not sure why the denial from Cap One, first card I've been denied for in a long time!!!!!:/ Thoughts?

NFCU Cash Rewards VISA-$14k NFCU Go Rewards VISA-$10k
NFCU Nrewards MC $14k Cabelas Club VISA-$3k
Menards Big Card- $1k Military Star Card-$5250
Discover IT-$3k/ Gardening until 06/22/2015
Current Scores 6/21/14
TU-707 EX-716 EQ-707 Goal-750 all across the board.
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
huntnfishnguy09
Established Member

Re: Chase and NFCU said yes, cap one no :/.

Oh by enway the stats in my signature box are really outdated, I will update after bit!

Current Scores 6/21/14
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@huntnfishnguy09 wrote:

Applied for the CLOC from NFCU, instant approval for $15,000.  Also got the Chase double cash card with a SL of $4,400 which I didn't think was bad considering some of the other limits I've seen.  Applied for both Cap one venture one and QS cards with immediate denials.  Scores were 733, 733, 729.  At the time of applying had zero inquires on any of my reports AAoA was 9 years.  Utilization is around 25%.  Had two missed payments on a card back in 2010 other than that my reports are squeaky clean.  Not sure why the denial from Cap One, first card I've been denied for in a long time!!!!!:/ Thoughts?

Chase double cash card?

OR DO YOU MEAN

Citi Double Cash?

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@huntnfishnguy09 wrote:

Your reports are not squeaky clean if you have lates, regardless of how old they are.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

You'll have to wait for the email or letter to know for sure. All we can do is guess.  Have you looked at all your reports recently? There could be a disconnect between what you think is on there and what is actually being reported. Based on what you wrote nothing obvious comes to mind.Cap One was the only denial I had in my recent app spree and it was because of too many recent inquiries. EO/FB would not overturn that. 

Edited to add: Don't forget to celebrate your approvals! The 2% Double Cash card is nothing to sneeze at Smiley Wink  I've decided Cap1 is just not worth doing busines with me and have written them off for the foreseeable future. 

Message 5 of 8
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Congrats on your approvals.  I think Capital One hates those of us in the middle.  I received my first decline for a credit card in years from CapOne last month (not instant denial).  All 3 scores were in the 730s, util was 27-28%, AAoA 9 years, CapOne customer for nearly 20 years.  Official reason: "Based on your credit report from one or more of the agencies on the back of this letter, revolving account balance(s) are too high in relation to credit score."  (Only my TU was listed on the back; they pulled all 3 and at the time EX was a little higher than TU and EQ.)  Other than util (and recently INQs), my reports are squeaky clean.  That's frustrating when I see people with 30/60/90 lates or a BK getting approvals, good SLs, decent APRs and CLI after CLI with them.  I am completely done with CapOne and will be closing my FrankenVentureOne (combination of a lot of cards, mostly from acquisitions) unless they close it for inactivity first.

Message 6 of 8
iowe
Regular Contributor

Capital One gave me a chance in 2015 and gave me my first unsecured QS One card with a $1500 limit. I just yesterday product changed/swapped to a regular QS to eliminate that AF. Through credit steps my limit is now $3000. However when I tried to cli the account (twice now) I was denied despite using it heavily last christmas and my scores all on a continuous uptick since getting the card. I think the door has closed quite a bit at Cap One. Pretty disappointing. So, the QS is now going to go to the sock drawer for a while. I'll put my money where I can get a return on investment with my credit limits.

2024 Goal: To finally be debt free
Message 7 of 8
huntnfishnguy09
Established Member

Yes I apologize Citi, not chase, brain fart. Donny, you're right, having two missed payments isn't having a squeaky clean report but compared to some other reports I'm seeing described on here, it's definitely not bad. K in Boston, I agree with you. I understand that people make mistakes in life and should be given a second chance, but how is it folks that have bankruptcies and a lot worse reports than what I'm showing are getting approved for insanely high SL?! Doesn't make sense to me but hey I'll gladly give my money to another company.

Current Scores 6/21/14
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.