cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase just doubled my credit, without me asking

tag
sparklesdust

Chase just doubled my credit, without me asking

So... I've been lurking in these boards for the last year, so for those of you who post regularly - thank you! Your advice has been helping me clean up my financials and I appreciate it.  

I started working on my credit in October 2020, my husband and I are going to buy a house hopefully in Spring 2022 (we're wanting to put 20% down so we're saving). I started with TransUnion 619, Equifax 620, Experian 621. I had 95% credit utilization with 42,000 available credit, 1 delinquent account from 2015 Ad Astra, and a charge off sold to collections from Avant from 2018. 

I paid off my accounts 100% as of last month (snowball method). I'm now at 745 TransUnion, 759 Equifax, 749 Experian with 4% credit utilization with 46,800 available credit (not including this increase). I pay all my accounts off every month mostly just using my Chase card. I logged in this afternoon to find that Chase literally doubled my credit today without telling me (which I didn't think they ever did?) from 5,000 to 10,000 on my Sapphire Preferred. 

What on earth happened? I actually ironically enough was thinking about taking a credit hit and asking Chase for a credit limit increase since I've been using their card for most things and paying it off as I use it, multiple times a month sometimes so it doesn't show much on my credit report. So, I'm pretty stoked but even the Chase employee I talked to a couple of weeks ago told me Chase doesn't do automatic increases so I'd have to take a credit hit to get an increase. 

Anyone else ever have Chase increase for no reason? 

FICO 8:

FICO 5, 4 & 2:
19 REPLIES 19
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Re: Chase just doubled my credit, without me asking

Congratulations on your PCLI! Great job on lowering your utilization and increasing your scores.
Message 2 of 20
sparklesdust

Full disclosure, I had to google what "PCLI" means Smiley LOL

Thank you! 

FICO 8:

FICO 5, 4 & 2:
Message 3 of 20
AllZero
Mega Contributor

@sparklesdust wrote:

Full disclosure, I had to google what "PCLI" means Smiley LOL

Thank you! 

😃 I learned PCLI on myFICO.

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-in-the-News/Big-banks-handing-out-CLI-s-to-subprime/m-p/5890...

Message 4 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on your CLI! 

Message 5 of 20
babygirl1256
Senior Contributor

Congrats on your Sapphire Preferred auto CLI . . . that's fantastic!!!

Starting FICO 8 Score in 06/2019: EQ-625, TU-649, EX-640
Current FICO 8 Score in 06/2021: EQ-796, TU-806, EX-812
Goal FICO 8 Score in 06/2022: EQ-825, TU-850, EX-850
Message 6 of 20
Ficoproblems247
Valued Contributor

Chase is definitely known to issue automatic increases with heavy spend and large payments. Congrats on an awesome surprise increase! 

FICO 8 Sep '23 EX 755 EQ 765 TU 739
TCL $199,800
Message 7 of 20
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Congrats. No news is good news. Take it and run!

Message 8 of 20
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Sweet, grats on your 2x CSP increase Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Anything from Chase WITHOUT a hard pull is AWESOME!! Congratulations on your CLI and  your continued re-build!

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.