Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi AA MileUp Decline --> Approved

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Citi AA MileUp Decline --> Approved

Forgot I recieved a pre-approval in the mail for the AA Mileup card from Citi. They have been sending me these like crazy lately. I pulled the trigger and got an immeadite decline due to BK on my previous cards with them (IIB $200,000+) 8 years ago. Was rather annoyed so I waited until I got the letter today, which stated previous BK, laste payment history, existing cards are restricted. 

I called in the recon line, spoke with an analyst explained that I have 2 existing Citi Cards (BBY, Costco) for several years now, and that I have used them well with out paying late. She put me on hold, came back and said I will approve you for $5,000. I asked if that was the highest she could approve as with my costco card that I have had for 3 years now, the credit line has not moved and don't want to get stuck with a $5,000 card for the next several years. She put me on hold for less than 30 seconds and said "You have a good score, the most I can approve is $9,000 would you be ok with that". I thanked her and she said the card would be to me within the week. Score one for the recon books. 

12 REPLIES 12
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

Re: Citi AA MileUp Decline --> Approved

: ..... I pulled the trigger and got an immeadite decline due to BK on my previous cards with them (IIB $200,000+) "

I have no idea how to respond to this.

I hope I get your analyst if i ever have to app citi

Big congrats

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 2 of 13
19eighty5
Senior Contributor

Congratulations on your recon and approval!

FICO 8 (Feb 2018):EX- 519, TU- 530, EQ- 545
FICO 8 (Sept 2022):EX- 706, TU- 685, EQ- 684
What's in my wallet:

Message 3 of 13
_NERD
Established Contributor

A776C311-D455-45DC-87F2-60BEDCB04117.gif

3B profile optimization in progress...
Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sean60099 that is awesome! You lived through the BK and now are moving in the world again ... a good feeling I know! Enjoy your new card with Citi. Good work Smiley Very Happy

Message 5 of 13
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

OP This is an amazing story and one of those SHUT YOUR MOUTH moments.

A huge congrats. This is awesome!

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 6 of 13
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Congrats and what do you expect you burnt them in a BK.  I am very suprised you got approved for this card despite what your scores might be with a history of a BK with them.  Annoyed with them is kinda funny as you should be grateful they approved you in my humble opinion.  200k is no small BK was that just in CC's???

Message 7 of 13
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

Congrats and what do you expect you burnt them in a BK.  I am very suprised you got approved for this card despite what your scores might be with a history of a BK with them.  Annoyed with them is kinda funny as you should be grateful they approved you in my humble opinion.  200k is no small BK was that just in CC's???

100% agree with @CreditCuriosity. You should feel greatful/humbled for the approval at all. They were one of my lowest burns in my BK (<$1k), and I still cant get a legacy card from them, granted I have umpteen INQ and new accts thats not helping my situation any, but regardless...I never get upset anymore if Im declined for "previous relationship/BK", as I own my BK.  

As someone once said too me..."If you loan someone $10k, and they never paid you back, and didnt ever have too anymore, and they  come back later down the road asking for more from you, would you want to loan them money again"?...puts things in a different perspective. Smiley Wink

Congrats on the approval though

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes the $200,000 was just in CC’s. Mostly on the business side. I had a business that was growing rapidly, from $350k in revenue a year to over $1MM 2 years later. I was only a part owner and in college. The day to day management was held by a much older relative of mine who had decades of experience in the industry. He ubruptly passed away and I had no idea what I was doing all while being saddled with $350k in business debt. Trying to avoid putting 12 people out of work, I tried at 21 to keep it going unsuccessfully based on market issues. And ended up filing for bk once the debt exceeded $400k.

I only said annoyed because ive been back in with them since 6/2011 and have a second account with them that was opened from 2/2016 and knew id likely have to recon even though it was a pre-approval.

But it also goes to show that they are loosening up on there IIB BK declines. Normally front end analysts cant overturn. It looks like they are more impowered to now.
Message 9 of 13
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

Helleva story

<applauds>

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.