Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi American Airlines Platinum Select Approval

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Citi American Airlines Platinum Select Approval

So, Chase won't give me a chance w their SW Airlines cards and I decided to try with American since I do fly them often. I keep getting these incredible offers in the mail from SW Air (with a range of APRs so I know it's not a pre-approval) but some of my scores have risen lately and my util % has gone down some so I app'd for SW Premier and got shot down due to util% higher than they want to see and AAoA (possibly the 5/24 issue as well but that was not noted in my denial letter).

Yesterday I needed to book some travel on American and I saw the 50k bonus miles offer at the bottom of the page before moving onto their payment screen. I already have the generic AA credit card and love that one because it's 6 months interest free for purchases, but I wanted that 50k miles deal so I app'd and shocker- got approved for a $4k SL.

• My income is 135k per year and my util % is at 41 (don't shame me- I'm paying it all off, was at 65% 5 months ago).
  • I live in Arizona. They pulled Experian and my score was 655. Double pull for Equifax and I was at 650.
  • No baddies and no lates at all.
  • I've been with their frequent flyer program since 2009.
  • I have some other Citi accounts- the aforementioned AA generic card, Double Cash and Big O Tires retail card. 
  • My AAoA is 4.5 years.

I was surprised by the approval and the SL. I thought even if I got approved they'd throw me $2k at the most. I was even making up a song while the app was processing "You gonna get shot down.....because you ain't got the scores, son....they gonna pull your file and say "you're nothing but pond scum" but the approval came through.

I was a LITTLE BIT SALTY when I went to the Citi cards website and saw they have a 60k bonus miles offer for this card, but I'm just glad for the approval and 50k w minimum spend within 60 days. 

Have to give them props- they provided me with the account number, 3 digit security code and temp exp date until the card arrives in the mail so I could use the account to book travel the moment I finished the application. I'm gardening for awhile and continuing the march to 0% utilization. Will pay the full balance on this when I get the account registered online when the physical card arrives.  

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Citi American Airlines Platinum Select Approved- shocked to be honest

Congrats on your approval.  Were you aware that the AA Platinum cardhas a 60K miles offer that expires tomorrow?  If I were you I'd contact Citi and see if they'll extend you that offer.

Message 2 of 12
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Congrats on your approval.  Were you aware that the AA Platinum cardhas a 60K miles offer that expires tomorrow?  If I were you I'd contact Citi and see if they'll extend you that offer.

+1

You have more to gain if you try that. Better bonus of course.

Congratulations! on your Citicard airline approval.

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes, however I'd need a $3k spend to get 60k miles. I don't have plans to spend that much but the 50k miles I'll get with a $2k spend are within my plans. I'll call them but unless they offer me the 60k miles for just a 2k spend I'll stay where I am.

Message 4 of 12
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: Citi American Airlines Platinum Select Approval

Congrats on your approval.
Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes, however I'd need a $3k spend to get 60k miles. I don't have plans to spend that much but the 50k miles I'll get with a $2k spend are within my plans. I'll call them but unless they offer me the 60k miles for just a 2k spend I'll stay where I am.

You make 135k a year and you don't spend 1k a month?  

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

You make 135k a year and you don't spend 1k a month?  

Not that I would budget for a cc spend right now, no. It was a surprise approval and money spent can't earn for me.

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Citi American Airlines Platinum Select Approval

Nice! Congrats!

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

They will likely match it anyhow. I got them to match me for a 75k bonus miles offer that had a spend requirement of $7.5k. I only have spent 3k on the card but they gave me the miles. Send a secure message.

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

They will likely match it anyhow. I got them to match me for a 75k bonus miles offer that had a spend requirement of $7.5k. I only have spent 3k on the card but they gave me the miles. Send a secure message.

Thanks- I will try the secure message route. The very nice lady in the Philippines call center yesterday evening wasn't any help. I may need to hold off until I get the physical card in the mail and figure out what else I can spend $1k on w/ the card if they extend me the offer for the 60k bonus miles instead of the 50k I got with the app.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.