cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi-Costco $1500 CLI to $37.5K (Soft Pull)

tag
Aim_High
Super Contributor

Citi-Costco $1500 CLI to $37.5K (Soft Pull)

I've been hitting CITI up regularly for a few months and they have been saying I had too many new accounts for a CLI.  Normally, when I've been eligible they've been giving me a $3K increase about every six months on average.   Today, they surprised me by approving the request but it was a little bittersweet, since they cut the increase increment to $1500.  But ... I'll take it for a soft pull.  So I increased from $36K to $37.5K.  Smiley Happy 

Maybe they are cutting the increment or maybe I'm close to reaching a high limit on the card they'll approve based on my spend and profile??   Or maybe it's still affected by those new accounts to a degree.  The card gets regular use but nowhere near that limit!  In the past few years, it's turned into more of my gas card (at 4%) than anything else, at least in months where I don't earn 5% on Discover or Freedom.   Since Costco takes Visa, I can now use my AOD FCU Visa there for 3% (instead of 2% on the Citi card), and my Bank of America Cash Rewards gives me 3.5% back since I moved assets to be in the Preferred Rewards program.    A few years ago, I was using the card more heavily for dining out and travel until I got my Chase Sapphire Reserve and AMEX Gold, so now it's a backup.   For anyone looking at the card, though, absent some better alternatives like these, it's a great card and I highly recommend it!  

Citi_Costco_CLI_20210104.jpg

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 1 of 27
26 REPLIES 26
cashorcharge
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Citi-Costco $1500 CLI to $37.5K (Soft Pull)

That's great!  Congratulations on your CITI CLI Approval!  For a minimally used card, that's looking pretty good.

Message 2 of 27
Gunnerboy
Frequent Contributor

Congrats!

My third CLI in October was also just for $1500, instead of $3000 for the first two.

"Not everyone who helps you is a friend, and not everyone who challenges you is an enemy."
Message 3 of 27
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Wow!  Thats a huge leap! $1500 to $37k 🧙‍♂️ give some of that🔮😄

Message 4 of 27
Mr_Mojo_Risin
Senior Contributor

The great Aim High saga continues!!

Congratulations on your SP CLI!!

NFCU More Rewards 28K CL
NFCU Cash Rewards 16K CL
Citi Custom Cash 7.5K CL
AODFCU Visa Sig 5K CL
Discover IT 2.5K CL
Capital One QS 3600 CL
Message 5 of 27
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Congratulations on your CLI!
Message 6 of 27
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@cashorcharge wrote:

That's great!  Congratulations on your CITI CLI Approval!  

For a minimally used card, that's looking pretty good.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

@Gunnerboy wrote:

Congrats!

My third CLI in October was also just for $1500, instead of $3000 for the first two.

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:

Wow!  Thats a huge leap! $1500 to $37k 🧙‍♂️ give some of that🔮😄

@Mr_Mojo_Risin wrote:

The great Aim High saga continues!!

Congratulations on your SP CLI!!

@AllZero wrote:
Congratulations on your CLI! 

Thanks very much @cashorcharge, @Gunnerboy, @AverageJoesCredit, @Mr_Mojo_Risin, @AllZero!  Yes, Soft Pull CLIs are great and it would be nice if they all did that!  Smiley LOL

Interesting to know about the $1500 CLI you got @Gunnerboy

Maybe like Navy FCU they have scaled back a little during COVID.

Business Cards

Message 7 of 27
Credit4Growth
Senior Contributor

Congrats on the SP increase!!!  

That seems like a very nice limit for the Costco card, do you know there maximum?

20200916_080216.gif

Message 8 of 27
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@Credit4Growth wrote:

Congrats on the SP increase!!!  

That seems like a very nice limit for the Costco card, do you know there maximum?

20200916_080216.gif

Thanks @Credit4Growth

That is a pretty decent limit for the Costco card, but I'm sure there are higher ones on My Fico.  I'm not aware of a cap on the limits like you see with some cards or lenders. 

Citi (in general) from my experience is a little reserved about credit limits.  They aren't ultra-conservative nor are they ultra-generous.  Limits tend to start in the middle of the pack relative to one's profile and rise more gradually with age.   It does not appear they are highly sensitive to usage like our friends at Capital One and Goldman Sachs/Apple, who will turn you down without moderate spending.   Even their AF-premium card limits like Prestige and Premier seem modest compared to what AMEX, Bank of America, or even Chase will dole out.  All that said, I imagine like most any card with the right profile and heavy spend-and-pay cycles, it could potentially rise much higher.  How much probably depends on those factors. 

Business Cards

Message 9 of 27
Gunnerboy
Frequent Contributor

@Aim_High wrote:

Interesting to know about the $1500 CLI you got @Gunnerboy

Maybe like Navy FCU they have scaled back a little during COVID.

SL9,000 > 12,000 > 15,000 > 16,500.  My aggregate UTIL is <1%. Decent Costco-spend (weekly gas, bi-monthly bulk). Thought for a minute about reconning for a larger CLI, but I don't need it.

I'm satisfied with the steady growth of my single NFCU card.  Pretty sure if I ever decide on a second it'll have a generous SL.

"Not everyone who helps you is a friend, and not everyone who challenges you is an enemy."
Message 10 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.