Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Costco Anywhere Visa

tag
Mike1014805
New Contributor

Citi Costco Anywhere Visa

So, in the last 6 months, I've opened up 7 new credit cards. I'm moving, and starting from scratch, so I've been applying for cards that have the 15 month 0% APR introductory periods, to pay for furniture, appliances and so on. My credit scores are now in the 680s-710s because of this.

I was on Credit Karma earlier and saw that my odds of getting approved for the Costco Anywhere Visa were "good" and was shocked to see this. I know not to trust Credit Karma, because it's all based on marketing for your approval odds. However, I've never seen "Good" before as an option; it's always been "Very Poor" whenever I looked it up on there.

I decided to actually read the reviews of getting approved, and lots of people with a 750+ credit score reported getting denied left and right. Almost all of them reported having "very good" to "exceptional" approval odds on Credit Karma before applying. Yet, they were all denied. I also read that CITI Bank is very inquiry and new account sensitive. I didn't think my chances of approval would be that great. But, I figured, I already have 7 inquiries/new accounts on my credit report, what is 1 denial out of 7 approvals, right? 

I went to CITI's website, and filled out the information. The little wheel spined for about 60 seconds, and I could hear my heart beat in my ears while I waited. The Costco Anywhere Visa has always been my "Goal Card" in terms of accounts. To my pleasant surprise, I was instantly approved for $4,100....which is an odd starting limit. But it made me ecstatic. (I know never to carry a balance, and always pay off twice a month with this card).

If anyone is curious about my application info:

Costco Member for 5 Years

Income: $ 55,500

Credit Age: 12 Years

Total Credit Available: 30,000 (now 34,100)

Inquiries: 7 within the last 6 months

Bureau Pulled: Equifax

Equifax Credit Score: 689

16 REPLIES 16
babygirl1256
Senior Contributor

Re: Citi Costco Anywhere Visa

Congrats on your Citi Costco Anywhere Visa approval . . . great way to defeat the odds!!!

Starting FICO 8 Score in 06/2019: EQ-625, TU-649, EX-640
Current FICO 8 Score in 06/2021: EQ-796, TU-806, EX-812
Goal FICO 8 Score in 06/2022: EQ-825, TU-850, EX-850
Message 2 of 17
CreditAggie
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Congratulations on your Costco Visa approval! The 4% back on gas is an awesome perk of this card!

Current Cards (in order of approval):

Current FICO 8 | 9 (April 2024):  
Credit Age:  
Inquiries (6/12/24):  
Banks & CUs:

Message 3 of 17
Gunnerboy
Frequent Contributor

Congrats @Mike1014805!!

Love Costco! The card is is one of my two EDC.

"Not everyone who helps you is a friend, and not everyone who challenges you is an enemy."
Message 4 of 17
Elpadrino1
Valued Contributor

Congratulations on your approval!!

Message 5 of 17
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

Congratulations on the Costco Visa approval!

Message 6 of 17
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Grats on your Costco approval Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 17
Andypanda
Established Contributor

@CreditAggie wrote:

Congratulations on your Costco Visa approval! The 4% back on gas is an awesome perk of this card!

I also like it for booking through costcotravel.com. 3% from the citi card and 2% as an executive member.

Message 8 of 17
SDMarik
Established Contributor

Congrats on the 8 approvals!!

"When prosperity comes, do not use all of it"
Message 9 of 17
RepairedCredit

Congrats.  I'm mostly stocked up for now, but looked into this recently since I do have a Costco membership that gets some usage.  However, I already get 4% for gas via PNC Cash Rewards (undersung card imo) so took a pass.  Looks like a good card though.

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.