Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Costco Card Approval - $8,500

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Citi Costco Card Approval - $8,500

Rather shocked by this to be honest. This month I got a major baddie taken off my credit reports (Navient) that raised my EQ by 29 points and EX by 50 points. Figured I'd try for my own Discover and only got $500. Was discouraged at the low limit, but made sense since I had a chapter 7 in 2013 (Discover was not included).

In that bankruptcy, I included some Citi backed cards, like The Home Depot card, so I thought I may be blacklisted. I never had any prequalifies on their website and thought maybe I should try for a Simplicity card to see if I even get my credit pulled for an app. Went for the Costco card instead and was instantly approved for $8,500. Cannot believe the difference in limit compared to Discover on the starting limit! This will be my new gas and dining card =). So happy I was approved for a Citi card (husband has the Citi Double Cash).

Some information on me. FICO scores are 730 TU 729 EX 689 EQ with quite a few new accounts (due to being added to a few new cards from my husband). Had about 4-5 inquiries on EQ and EX and 7 on TU. AAoA is I believe 4 years with oldest being 11.3 years. Chapter 7 completed on 9/11/13. Total utilization is 1% with about $36,000 in revolving credit.

EDIT - Added a Citi Best Buy Visa Platinum as well with a SL of $3,000 and am now going to garden until August 2017.

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

Re: Citi Costco Card Approval - $8,500

Congrats!! You have made an amazing recovery since your bk!

Current Scores 3/2016 Equifax 676 Transunion 697 Experian 648 Goal Scores: 720's accross the board. Gardening Goal: 3/2017
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you! It's been a journey, but I have for sure grown as a person when it comes to credit. In my early 20's, figured credit was free money. Now, I am constantly budgeting and making sure all debts are paid off with one card reporting. This site has helped a bunch in educating me!

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats! I wish I had a legitimate use for Costco. I would be all over that card. A lot of BK'r have had success with nice limits. 

Message 4 of 13
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Great job so far on your rebuild. Thats a great sl and a legacy card so very nice you got a card that you will get much more use out of. Im with Justagirl73, i use Sams more since its next to my job but if i ever want to go Costco route, seems a great card to haveSmiley Happy Enjoy it and best wishes for continued credit healthSmiley Happy
Message 5 of 13
SisterGirl
Established Contributor

Congrats on your new approval !

Discover most likely will grow with you over time; a strange one for me strategically, but we play well just the same.

SisterGirl
Message 6 of 13
jason0618
Frequent Contributor

This makes me happy. I have a bankruptcy that's two months old, so I always figure the Costco card would just be a permanent no-go for me. We've got six kids, so we spend a LOT of money at Costco on groceries and usually check for deals on everything else. Right now we are executive level members and it's a great deal they have. In a couple of years, this card will be on my list to app for.
Scores as of 04/2021

Gardening until further notice
Message 7 of 13
padme
Established Contributor

Congrats on ur journey, I never saw a reason for a Costco card, but i had success with a Citibank Bestbuy Visa. its hard to get back in once u burn em, but there is always hope. congrats again

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you! I actually was approved for the Best Buy Visa Platinum today as well for $3,000. Huge for me since I shop for a lot of electronics there and am an Elite Plus member. Costco will be big for me for gas and dining out, and Costco shopping when Freedom isn't 5% there anymore. 

So nice having a card for all our needs. We are both in the garden now until August 2017 when we'll need to buy my husband a car =)

Message 9 of 13
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Super grats on your BB visa! I myself have one. I was wondering if you, or perhaps someone who may know how many levels of this visa exist. I think i have seen this before where someone was approved for the BB Visa "Platinum". I believe mine is a Visa Signature and i was under the impression all BB visa's were sigs. Again great approvals Smiley Happy EnjoySmiley Happy
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.