Did you mean: 

Citi Custom Cash Card Approval $19,000 😬

tag
Wavester64
Valued Contributor

Re: Citi Custom Cash Card Approval $19,000 😬

@Wavester64 wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

So, this post is about a week late, but still wanted to contribute on some DPs. 

In researching the TY flexibility of the card (because I needed another Citi card like hole in my head 😂) -- I figured if denied, still a good DP on the current Citi UW criteria.  And, since PCs were slowly coming, I decided to try for a new card vs PC.  But, it's often known that timing is always of the essence, especially when it comes to new accounts/inquiries, etc.  So, I went for it and it went into pending.  I did not call.  Then, I received a call from their fraud/verification department to verify ID stuff (which Citi cards I had, balance and payments on those, public record items, etc.).  Since the agent mentioned I was in the 'upper' threshold of overall Citi exposure, the application would have to be referred to a Sr UW.  Okies.  I mentioned that I was open to any CL or moving things around if need be.

Later on another phone call, they confirmed it can be approved and I could reallocate a portion of the limit and I had until tomorrow. So, potentially I might leave it as is (given the monthly $500 category cap), or I can move some of it but I haven't decided yet.

At any rate, they pulled Experian (no double pulls).  FICOs in the low 800s (both 8/9 versions) + lots of new accounts in the past 12 months (around 8) and inquiries (~7) 😬.  So, as I mentioned in the Citi Custom Cash mega thread, profile determines the results, and other than the potential exposure ceiling, they didn't seem to mind the new accounts and/or inquiries in the past year.  I have been with Citi since the early 90's. This will be the 11th Citi legacy card.

Citi CustomCash.jpg

CONGRATSSmiley Happy

Something tells me this "..I have been with Citi since the early 90's. This will be the 11th Citi legacy card." is your claim to victory!

I have seen others have better than this "..new accounts in the past 12 months (around 8) and inquiries (~7).." and be denied with similar scores.

@FinStar I have a question as a follow up to my congrats Smiley LOL

It's been mentioned on Reddit that Citi doesn't like to see any Citi approvals in the last 24-months to approve an new app for one of their cards. Seeing you have had 10 Citi cards prior to this one - I am guessing that Reddit statement is false?

Potential Future Cards
Message 31 of 45
Mr_Mojo_Risin
Senior Contributor

I think this is the largest approval for the Custom Cash I've seen here, many kudos to you!

Congratulations!

NFCU More Rewards 28K CL
NFCU Cash Rewards 16K CL
Citi Custom Cash 7.5K CL
AODFCU Visa Sig 5K CL
Discover IT 2.5K CL
Capital One QS 3600 CL
Message 32 of 45
MyFault
Valued Contributor

Congrats on your approval!

|  
Message 33 of 45
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Wavester64 wrote:

@Wavester64 wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

So, this post is about a week late, but still wanted to contribute on some DPs. 

In researching the TY flexibility of the card (because I needed another Citi card like hole in my head 😂) -- I figured if denied, still a good DP on the current Citi UW criteria.  And, since PCs were slowly coming, I decided to try for a new card vs PC.  But, it's often known that timing is always of the essence, especially when it comes to new accounts/inquiries, etc.  So, I went for it and it went into pending.  I did not call.  Then, I received a call from their fraud/verification department to verify ID stuff (which Citi cards I had, balance and payments on those, public record items, etc.).  Since the agent mentioned I was in the 'upper' threshold of overall Citi exposure, the application would have to be referred to a Sr UW.  Okies.  I mentioned that I was open to any CL or moving things around if need be.

Later on another phone call, they confirmed it can be approved and I could reallocate a portion of the limit and I had until tomorrow. So, potentially I might leave it as is (given the monthly $500 category cap), or I can move some of it but I haven't decided yet.

At any rate, they pulled Experian (no double pulls).  FICOs in the low 800s (both 8/9 versions) + lots of new accounts in the past 12 months (around 8) and inquiries (~7) 😬.  So, as I mentioned in the Citi Custom Cash mega thread, profile determines the results, and other than the potential exposure ceiling, they didn't seem to mind the new accounts and/or inquiries in the past year.  I have been with Citi since the early 90's. This will be the 11th Citi legacy card.

Citi CustomCash.jpg

CONGRATSSmiley Happy

Something tells me this "..I have been with Citi since the early 90's. This will be the 11th Citi legacy card." is your claim to victory!

I have seen others have better than this "..new accounts in the past 12 months (around 8) and inquiries (~7).." and be denied with similar scores.

@FinStar I have a question as a follow up to my congrats Smiley LOL

It's been mentioned on Reddit that Citi doesn't like to see any Citi approvals in the last 24-months to approve an new app for one of their cards. Seeing you have had 10 Citi cards prior to this one - I am guessing that Reddit statement is false?

I would say it's not accurate or results would lean toward YEMV, @Wavester64.  And, because proof is in the pudding, here is the thread I posted back in December of 2019 with the MileUp Card.  Wouldn't you agree that's within 24 months? 😉  Prior to that (also in 2019) was an approval for TY Premier.

That said, I don't put much stake in a variety of comments stated as fact on other sites because they aren't the official policy coming from Citi (or any lender for that matter). Plus, we both have been around the forums long enough to know that results will always vary for different profiles.

I mean, let's use NFCU as an example just for posterity, where alleged claims (or "hack") of applying after hours (or past midnight) would result in guaranteed CLIs and/or new account approvals.  This has been posted on YouTube, FB groups and Reddit.  Well, we know that the fine folks here know better and that myth was busted a while back.

So, while there's no harm in doing some due-diligence or researching DPs from a variety of resources, it ultimately boils down to each of our own profiles + the lender's UW criteria -- whatever that secret sauce may be ☺️

Message 34 of 45
Crowhelm
Established Contributor

Congrats on that great approval. So is Citi a good bank to deal with? No major complaints I assume? My wife and I are thinking of getting the Costco card for the 4% on gas and the pretty nice perks it has on top of that. She would apply since she seems to take much smaller hits for applying and getting a card. Her total damage was only 12 points when her Citi Wayfair reported. Along with her 8 point gain being an AU on my Chase Amazon card she just lost 4 points total. Once my FBNO reports where she is also an AU,  she might be in the plus, lol. I on the other hand got hammered for applying and getting two new cards with one not even reported yet (yikes), lol

Message 35 of 45
coreyb80
Super Contributor

Congrats on the nice approval!

Message 36 of 45
Gmood1
Super Contributor

A big congrats Fin! They shot me down on this one a few weeks ago. The reason was the number of recent inqs. Those inqs had nothing to do with CC apps.

This is the first time Citi has denied me.

Guess I'll live vicariously through you 😂😁.

Message 37 of 45
firefox100
Valued Contributor

Congratulations nice way to go enjoy your victory with Citi Bank.

Message 38 of 45
SPChaser
Established Contributor

Congrats on Citi approval! 

“Play the game, but don't believe in it“
Message 39 of 45
BodegaTrades

Congrats on the super approval! That card is next on my watchlist

Message 40 of 45
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.