Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Diamond Preferred MC approved

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Citi Diamond Preferred MC approved

Applied for the Citi Diamond Preferred MC on 6/23/17 based on a prequalified mail offer. Applied online, received message stating wait 24 hours for update, will receive decison letter/email within 7 days. Called a back door number found on this forum on 6/26/2017, spoke to an overseas rep, approved for $2000 credit limit. Asked for more, rep said to wait until I receive the card, then call customer service. I know this card is useless except for the 0% 21 month balance transfer option which I will use to clear out my high APR Discover iT card. APR on this Citi DP MC is 13.24% after the promo rate expires so I'm happy with that. Couple of questions for those in the know about Citi:

1) Should I immediately request the CLI when I get the card? The $2000 limit is just enough to transfer my Discover balance.

2) Can this card eventually be converted to a Double Cash card?

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: Citi Diamond Preferred MC approved

#1 is a YMMV situation. Reports of both working and not working abound.
#2 yes, absolutely. The DC in my signature was a DP. Citi used to send us 2-3 mailers a week trying to get us to PC it.

ETA: Almost forgot... congrats!

Message 2 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@K-in-Boston wrote:

#1 is a YMMV situation. Reports of both working and not working abound.
#2 yes, absolutely. The DC in my signature was a DP. Citi used to send us 2-3 mailers a week trying to get us to PC it.

ETA: Almost forgot... congrats!

Thanks for the info! I think I will call once I get the card to see if they will review a CLI using their recent HP.

Message 3 of 18
ecxpa
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Applied for the Citi Diamond Preferred MC on 6/23/17 based on a prequalified mail offer. Applied online, received message stating wait 24 hours for update, will receive decison letter/email within 7 days. Called a back door number found on this forum on 6/26/2017, spoke to an overseas rep, approved for $2000 credit limit. Asked for more, rep said to wait until I receive the card, then call customer service. I know this card is useless except for the 0% 21 month balance transfer option which I will use to clear out my high APR Discover iT card. APR on this Citi DP MC is 13.24% after the promo rate expires so I'm happy with that. Couple of questions for those in the know about Citi:

1) Should I immediately request the CLI when I get the card? The $2000 limit is just enough to transfer my Discover balance.

Sounds like the BT will max out your new card.......are you sure you want to do that????   Would definitely ask for a CLI before you max out your new card

Message 4 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ecxpa wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Sounds like the BT will max out your new card.......are you sure you want to do that????   Would definitely ask for a CLI before you max out your new card

I would be transfering approx $1550 from my Discover at 23.75% apr. I've been making 3x payments on it so transferring makes sense for me right now as I will have it PIF quickly at 0% on the Citi DP. When I get the Citi card, I'm going to ask for a CLI to $10k hoping to get 5k.

Message 5 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Follow up - Citi Diamond Preferred MC approved

Just a follow up on this approval. I recevied my card and did the balance transfer. I tried the luv button for a CLI, denied. Should I call for a recon? I'm leaning towards no because I've had three new accounts in the past 30 days...Amex BCE, Citi Diamond, and Wayfair via SCT and all were 2k limits. I'm thinking that 2k may be the comfort level creditors have with me at the moment.

Message 6 of 18
trant3
Established Contributor

Re: Follow up - Citi Diamond Preferred MC approved

Congrats, I was just approved the card as well. I'd say give it time and before you request CLI, SL and CLI attempt resulted in current limit, probably  the most Citi will extend at this time

FNBO $15k, Aspiration Zero $11k, Affinity FCU $10k, Sofi $15k, Venmo Visa $2.7k, Apple $7k, Citi Custom Cash $14k, Citi Double Cash $15k, Citizens Bank Cash Plus $8k, Chase Amazon $3k, Chase Flex $13.6k, Chase IHG $16k, Amex BCP $9.5k, Amex Hilton $10k, Chase Freedom $26.5k, NFCU Plat $46k, NFCU Cash $33k, Discover IT $29k, Discover Miles $12k, BECU Visa $14k, Wells Fargo Active $6.3k, PenFed Promise $15k, PenFed Gold $20k
Message 7 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

What was your balance transfer fee? if you dont mind me asking.

Message 8 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

5%

Message 9 of 18
joltdude
Senior Contributor

Know this sounds silly but have you ever tried for an APR reduction on your discover?   can do it every 6 months after the intro period (can do it right after the intro offer ends btw).... Esp now since the cards been cleaned off with the BT... .... You want to see if there is an APR reduction offer on your account.. ... Id do it in chat..... 

(This is definitely a time i prefer seeing the card with no balance or just a few charges, because if it was on a fuller card closer to its limit, they might try to give you the wrong type of APR reduction that you dont want... with it mostly empty.. asking for an apr reduction is saying... I didnt like the APR at all.. can you do better to get my buisness)....

Id tend to take the PERMANENT reduction if offered over the zero (to whittle it down)... even though oftentimes they will come back with a 0 offer or BT offer... you dont want to fall for it right now... .. since you already BT'ed a sizable balance once... 

Thats apr bit high for a Disco card.....and cl a bit low with those scores... 

Also how old is your Disco card? im thinking you still might be able to have some SP luving if youve had it for a few months or more...

Also you made the right choice between Diamond Pref and Simplicity... Can easily PC a Diamond into a DC or other card.... but not so with the Simplicity...

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.