cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Diamond Preferred low SL

donny10
Senior Contributor

Citi Diamond Preferred low SL

So darn disappointed! Cold app'd and instant denial. Called the backdoor number and they approved for a measly $1,000 SL.

Never had a citi card before.

They pulled Equifax because I had to unfreeze it.

Does this card grow.

Feels like a waste....
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
CreditMagic7
Super Contributor

Re: Citi Diamond Preferred low SL

@donny10 wrote:
So darn disappointed! Cold app'd and instant denial. Called the backdoor number and they approved for a measly $1,000 SL.

Does this card grow.

Feels like a waste....

Even my seasoned enough profile with equally rising scores across the board only yielded a pitiful $1K approval some months ago from Citi for the Simplicity. I only went for it due to a nice 13% APR but they low balled on the start limit. I closed mine out of disgust immediately since it already cost (2) HP's and wasn't worth a 3rd for a try with the EO.

I hate to say it but Citi is so cheap sometimes.

For you, as disappointed as you might be right now, in 6 months it should offer a SP CLI and since it's your first Citi card you can build a little history with them.

Message 2 of 15
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@donny10 wrote:

Does this card grow.

Feels like a waste....

Typically you will be eligible to at least try for a SP CLI after 6 months of card membership. Doesn't mean it will be approved, and the increases tend to be modest, but you will have a shot. Other than that, you can take a HP and see about getting it bumped up, but since it was a recon approval, you may want to just leave it alone.

Don't be too disappointed. Generally speaking (there are exceptions), Citi is not known to give huge starting limits. It's just not how they work most of the time.

Message 3 of 15
Costafitness
Contributor

citi is very generous after establishing use with the card.
Message 4 of 15
Nova5041
Frequent Contributor

Congrats on the approval, I wonder if each citi card is treated differently when it comes to SL, because my citi hilton started at 5k, and my profile is on the weak side!

BK 7 Discharged: 5/30/2018
Fico Scores after Discharge: Experian-552 TransUnion- 490 Equifax- 571
Message 5 of 15
Sandibeach22
Valued Contributor

If you treat them right, you will get 6 month cli's.  My limits normally start pretty high but only got 5k out of them on all 3 cards.  The 2 older ones had regular increases every 6 months of about 1.5k.  So slow but they're a good bank and I can wait for the limits to go up.  Smiley Wink

FICOS: EQ-812 TU-811 EX-818 Goal - 840-850 Across The Board
Total Credit Lines - 506K Gardening....
"I am the master of my fate and the captain of my destiny" Nelson Mandela
Message 6 of 15
GalaxyStars
Regular Contributor

I think it's a mixture of Citi normally having lower SL, and the specific card Diamond Preferred having lower SL.

I was approved for only $500 with my Diamond Preferred while all my other cards were 1.5k and up. 

Message 7 of 15
Sandibeach22
Valued Contributor

I must say co-branded cards do better.  Got HD which is by Citi starting at 15k.

FICOS: EQ-812 TU-811 EX-818 Goal - 840-850 Across The Board
Total Credit Lines - 506K Gardening....
"I am the master of my fate and the captain of my destiny" Nelson Mandela
Message 8 of 15
RonM21
Valued Contributor

The Citi cards do seem to start with low limits from what I've seen.

Total CL: $314.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 6.8yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | AMEX-37k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | BARCLAYS-15k | CITI-13.7k | CHASE-10k

Message 9 of 15
juniornj23
Established Contributor

Can you used HD card beside home depot
Amex ED (2000) Amex BCE (2000) Amex macys (5000) Amex Gold , VENTURE (5000) MC PLATINUM (600) CAP QUICKSILVERONE (1250) CAP QUICKSILVER (4500) CAP QUICKSILVER (3500) PENFED AMEX (5000) PENFED CASH REWARDS (25,000) PENDFED REWARDS VISA SIGNATURE (20,000) UPROMISE (1000) NFL (4000) OVERSTOCK (2800) HSN (3200) DISCOVER IT(8500) AMAZON PRIME (10000) MARVEL(7000) BOF VISA(2000) BEST BUY VISA CITI (9000) BLISPAY (9000)Amex Magnet (10,000) Uber (3100)

WELCOME TO 100K CLUB . LAST APP 08/29/18 Credit Score 8 TU 720 EQ 705 EX 724

Starting Score: 640
Current Score: 720
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

CARD I want .
Chase Freedom and US cash +

Now back to the garden until 2020
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.