cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Double Cash with FICO 750 and only Discover IT card since October, should I apply?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Citi Double Cash with FICO 750 and only Discover IT card since October, should I apply?

I have a Discover IT card and a 750 FICO score. I always pay my bills in time and have no late payment, low utilisation. I'm new to the US, so this is my first credit card, which I had since October.

Earlier this month I applied for a Chase Sapphire Preferred card but was denied because of "not enough accounts opened". I made that hard inquiry before this month's statement, and Discover reports that my FICO score went up from 746 to 750. Is the hard inquiry taken into account in there?

Before that (November) I had tried to get an Amazon Credit card from Chase but was denied.

I'd like to have a MasterCard for places where they don't accept Discover and for when the double cash back offer ends on the Discover card.

Should I apply for the Citi Double Cash now? I'm afraid of having too many inquiries.

Thanks

Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Citi Double Cash with FICO 750 and only Discover IT card since October, should I apply?

I think you'd be good for the double cash
Message 2 of 28
crrredit
Established Contributor

Re: Citi Double Cash with FICO 750 and only Discover IT card since October, should I apply?

Your score is definitely high enough to apply for DC, but if you got turned down by Citi for not enough accounts earlier this month, then that hasn't changed, so getting approved is doubtful. Check their prequal site and see if anything comes up. 

Inquiries get recorded very quickly, so it's probably already on your report and part of your score.

Message 3 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Check their prequal. I got approved with score similar as you and with 14 inquiry.

Your score isn't an issue
Message 4 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think you've got a very good chance
Message 5 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

They say "we couldn't match your records to a Pre-Qualified credit card offer. See below for 4 other cards you may like."

Is this bad news?

Message 6 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

No, I've never gotten approved for anything off a pre qual. I have two citi cards
Message 7 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

They say "we couldn't match your records to a Pre-Qualified credit card offer. See below for 4 other cards you may like."

Is this bad news?

If I'm reading and assuming this correctly, the Discover card is your only credit card? 

If so the problem is that you have a very thin profile.  Chase and Citi typically like to see some payment history reporting and you just don't have enough yet.  The CSP you applied for has a minimum starting CL of $5,000.  It is harder to get than say a Freedom which can start off with very low limits.  Scores are not the only factor in getting approved.  Even though you are getting hit for the inquiry, your account is aging each month so that is why you see it go up a few points.  As the accounts age, your scores will rise since AAoA is a part of the scores.

What do you need in an additional card?  What is the limit on your Discover?  Have you checked any other pre-qualifications (Chase, Amex or Capital One) sites yet?

Message 8 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi and thanks for your reply.

Yes, it's my only credit card. I was initially looking for a MasterCard or Visa travel reward credit card becuase I fly back home to Europe twice a year. A Cashback credit card would be good as well.

The reason I want a MasterCard or Visa is that my university allows me to pay rent with a credit card, but only with MasterCard or Visa, so that would give me quite a few miles or cash back.

I have a $2500 limit on my Discover card. Chase and Citi don't give me any pre qualified offers.

Message 9 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

You'll get it no doubt.
Message 10 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.