Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Premier + Target

tag
tech-d
Valued Member

Citi Premier + Target

So I've continued to pay off my debt very quickly since I've last posted - now I'm down to less than $4500 of credit card debt (it was almost $20k two years ago) and my credit score has gone up 120+ points. Thanks to everyone here for your encouragement! It's really helped.

Target gave me an increase to $2800 in November to $5000 this month, and they converted that to a Mastercard now. Crazy jump over the course of two billing statements.

Then I got a mail offer from Citi for an AAdvantage card. I didn't really want that, now that I've learned about points transfers and whatnot, so I applied for a Citi Premier Card after dinner and two glasses of wine. Was thinking about the Prestige card, but I already have an AmEx Platinum, I'm not paying out another $495 in fees. Approved on the spot, $7500.

I'm set with new cards, now I'm going to have to start trimming what I don't want - I'd get rid of the Amazon Store Card with it's $800 limit, but it's 5 years old so I think it'll stick around for a year. Anyone have experience with closing old cards with tiny limits? Would I do more damage by closing it than by using it once a year?

TU (Discover App): 783
EX (EX website): 768

EQ (EQ website): 800
American Express Platinum NPSL || BofA Amtrak $12k || Citi Premier $9k || Disc: $8.5k || HSBC: $8.25k || Target MC: $5k || Apple: $5.5k || American Express Blue Cash Preferred $5k || American Express Delta Gold $5k || Saks: $4k || Amazon: $2.4k || Cap1: $2.5k
13 REPLIES 13
cashorcharge
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Citi Premier + Target

That's terrific!  Congratulations on your approval!! 🎉🥂

I have 2 old Cap1 cards that I've had forever and while they see little use.....15 years later, they help my aging so I have always been of the mindset that even though the SL may be small, if there's no AF...keep it open, use it a few times a year for something and keep going. 

Message 2 of 14
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Congratulations on your approval, CLI and product upgrade!
Message 3 of 14
tech-d
Valued Member

Oddly Cap1 has been showing me no love lately. Tried for a CLI but was rejected for not enough activity on the card. I'm really hoping once I pay that off and most of my Saks store card which is now run by Cap1, they'll turn the Saks card into an MC. That would be awesome.

The Saks card is 14 years old and is my oldest by far, so I make sure I use that or carry something of a balance if I have to.

Thanks for the advice! I think I have $7 in usable rewards w/Amazon so I'll have to use it for something soonish.

American Express Platinum NPSL || BofA Amtrak $12k || Citi Premier $9k || Disc: $8.5k || HSBC: $8.25k || Target MC: $5k || Apple: $5.5k || American Express Blue Cash Preferred $5k || American Express Delta Gold $5k || Saks: $4k || Amazon: $2.4k || Cap1: $2.5k
Message 4 of 14
tech-d
Valued Member

I just asked Sychrony/Amazon for a CLI - I didn't get the angry popup that said "This may affect your credit score" like I have in the past. $800 > $2400.

Now I'm just going to pay off the $4000 in CC debt left and save for a mortgage with my new FICO scores. Experian alerted me about the Citi inquiry and I took a 3 point hit, but at this point I'm all set Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 14
AllZero
Mega Contributor

@tech-d wrote:

I just asked Sychrony/Amazon for a CLI - I didn't get the angry popup that said "This may affect your credit score" like I have in the past. $800 > $2400.

Now I'm just going to pay off the $4000 in CC debt left and save for a mortgage with my new FICO scores. Experian alerted me about the Citi inquiry and I took a 3 point hit, but at this point I'm all set Smiley Happy

Congratulations on another CLI!

Message 6 of 14
CreditAggie
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Congratulations on your CLI and approval!

Current Cards (in order of approval):

Current FICO 8 | 9 (February 2024):  
Credit Age:  
Inquiries (6/12/24):  
Banks & CUs:

Message 7 of 14
gingerflower
Valued Contributor

Congratulations on your citi approval and cli's with target and amazon! 

Message 8 of 14
Credit4Growth
Senior Contributor

Wow! 👏👏👏

With all that you have going on, congratulations!

Debt pay down,

CLI 

A new CITI card ... and an upgrade/conversion

Congratulations to you!

Screenshot_20200818-090608.jpg

Message 9 of 14
Credit4Growth
Senior Contributor

...see, you see!  You are still busy taking care of business! 😁😄

20201004_074517.gif

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.