cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Prestige - Surprising Starting Limit (SL)

tag
seattlecredit08
Frequent Contributor

Citi Prestige - Surprising Starting Limit (SL)

Background:

• Went on a mini app spree of sorts during the last several days.
  • At the last minute, decided to go for a Citi card as I wanted one more Experian (EX) puller and Citi is known to pull EX in my area
  • Never had any Citi cards
    • In fact, 10 years ago, if I remember this correctly, they closed my checking accountSmiley Surprised
  • Based on looking at various approvals posted on this board, settled on the Citi Prestige.
  • While Prestige card has one of the highest annual fees, based on what I have seen others report, Prestige card also generally comes with a healthy Starting Limit (SL)
    • I knew I could take advantage of the rewards if I could get the card

Application:

• Applied online and got the dreaded 7 to 10 business days message:

We have received your application and further processing is required. We will contact you in approximately 7-10 days regarding our decision.

• Immediately also received an alert that my Experian report was pulled
  • Also, received an email right away with a link to check the application status
    • Checked same day and,  of course, there were no updates yet (same 7-10 days message was given when following the link)

Next day:

• Next day, I kept searching this board for more info on the Citi application process and found a good number to call
  • Called it and was told that I will receive a call back right away (it's a way for Citi to verify the phone number)
  • After this very basic verification, the agent put me on hold to go "work" on the application
  • Two minutes later, the agent came back with the approval and the limit, which was the surprising part:
    • Approved for just over $30,000
  • Based on my research (I felt I was going in prepared), I expected a decent limit but really closer to $8,000-$10,000 mark

Data points:

• Pulled Experian (EX)
  • EX Fico 8 just under 770 (was just over but the last 2 inquries took about 8 points off)
  • AAofA is around 5 years old
  • A total of 5 inquiries in the last year when I applied
  • Two new accounts reporting to EX in the last 6 months and just under 10 new accounts reporting to EX in the last 12 months
  • Almost 0% utilization (two cards reporting small balances)
  • One more interesting data point -- I am AU on a card which has a limit of over $50,000

Again, this would not be possible without the knowledge contained on this board.

Thank you!!

P.S.: Almost done for bit; one more left-- working to get in the door with Synovus, a known Equifax (EQ) puller.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
SFLSpotter9210
Valued Contributor

Re: Citi Prestige - Surprising Starting Limit (SL)

Congratulations on your monster SCL enjoy the benefits of Prestige.
NFCU Flagship 32,500 | Penfed PowerCash 8,750 | PENFED GOLD 12,500 | PenFed PL 20,000 | NFCU AMEX Rewards 37,500 | NFCU GoRewards 7,000 | FNBO VISA SIGNATURE 9,400 | Capital One Quicksilver 6,300 | Lowe’s 34,500 | Wells Fargo Propel 19,700 | Barclay Apple1k | Citi Rewards+ 12,100 | Citi Double Cash 14,800 | Citi Simplicity 7,000 | PNC Core VISA 22,500 | USAA AMEX 13,000 | Discover 19,500 | BB&T Rewards 4,500 | BB&T Bright Card 4,500 | GS Apple 6,000 | Chevron 2,500 | Fico 8 Scores EQ=764 | EX=775 | TU=757scores and CL current as of 04/04/24 AAoA years 24 months | AoOA=18yrs
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow, that’s a beast of an SL. Congrats and enjoy!
Message 3 of 11
CAS2019
Frequent Contributor

WOW!  Congrats!!!!

Starting Score: 784
Current Score: 784
Goal Score: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Club Member" border="0" width="50" height="67" align="right">

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats and nice SL!!!

Thanks for the DPs Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations on your new card and monster SL! That's insane!
Message 6 of 11
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Very impressive SL with citi i assume you are well into the 6 figure income for citi to fork that out right off the bat.

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Awesome huge SL super Congrats!
Message 8 of 11
credit_is_crack
Valued Contributor

Awesome Approval!! That's a limit some of us work up to and you just picked up like a 6pack lol almost makes me want to take a stab at it Smiley Very Happy

Message 9 of 11
Jmbamman
New Contributor

Wowza! Congrats!!

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.