Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Rewards+ Approval and CLI

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Citi Rewards+ Approval and CLI

So far Im really LOVING my new Citi Rewards+ card. Im a few days away from my 3rd statement generating and was originally approved for 2k. Please keep in mind that this is my first credit card (my brother and parents had me on their cards as an authorized user since I was 13 or 14 and am now 19). I was up late one night and decided to play on the app a bit and ran into the credit limit increase button. Well, I noticed that it was asking I answer a few questions to see if I qualified immediately and all I did was re-enter my income and bam... 1k increase. I then decided to poke the bear a bit especially since it asked me if I wanted a different credit line (after the 1k increase) and I decided to ask for 6k just for the heck of it. Next day around noon I got an email saying they did a partial credit line increase (got another 1k) for a total of 4k. NOT BAD FOR MY FIRST CREDIT CARD ALL ON MY OWN! I'll also add that in the past 2 months Ive had the account open I have made multiple monhtly payments (3-4 payments that range from $500-$1k each) and made HEAVY use out of the card. QUESTION... IS IT NORMAL OR AM I JUST LUCKY TO HAVE DOUBLED MY CREDIT LINE IN LESS THAN 3 MONTHS AND ESPECIALLY WITH THIS BEING MY FIRST CARD ON MY OWN? CAN I EXPECT ANY AUTO-INCREASES? AND WHEN SHOULD I TRY AGAIN? IS CITI NORMALLY THIS GENEROUS OR AM I MAKING A BIG FUSS AND THIS IS JUST HOW THEY GENERALLY DO BUSINESS?

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Citi Rewards+ Approval and CLI

Congrats on the CLI! My very first card, the Discover it, got a CLI from $500 to $1000 after my 3rd statement cut, so I guess CLIs can double. However, $2k -> $4k is definitely a bigger jump 😛I don't have the Citi Rewards+ and pretty new to credit myself, so others will probably have better answers your questions 😊

Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on the approval and cli! 

Message 3 of 16
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

For a first card for a 19-year old you actually got a decent SL too. Congrats on the card and the increase! There are a lot of MFers around here that want that card. Enjoy!

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 4 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply! And... Im new to credit as well (credit on my own that is). I was blown away when Citi gave me $2k. My folks were telling me not to hope for anything above $500 as a starting credit line but clearly their credit cards had to of given me that advantage. Im an authorized user on a few cards that have credit limits of $15k to $30k (but again... not mine). And instead of using their cards or my debit card Ive been heavily using my Citi for everything and I turn around and make weekly payments so all of this mustve been taken into account. Im stoked! LOL

Message 5 of 16
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Welcome To myFICO Forums and

Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on your approval and CLI!

Message 7 of 16
ZackAttack
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Congrats on the CLI! My very first card, the Discover it, got a CLI from $500 to $1000 after my 3rd statement cut, so I guess CLIs can double. However, $2k -> $4k is definitely a bigger jump 😛I don't have the Citi Rewards+ and pretty new to credit myself, so others will probably have better answers your questions 😊

Congratz to you and OP.

My first CCs were my CU and Discover on the same day. For me, I only asked for an increase on my Discover card so far. My Discover's CL was $500. After the 4th statement cut, I request and the CL increase by 240% ($1.2k). So I'm now at $1.7k on my Discover card. Smiley Happy

MSGCU Rewards | $8kDiscover Cash It | $10kAmex BCP | $15kBest Buy Visa | $20kChase Freedom Flex | $8kDCU Platinum | $8kNFCU Plat | $35kNFCU cashRewards | $24kAffinity FCU Cash Rewards | $7kAmazon Prime | 12.5kChase Unlimited | 16.4kUSAA Cashback Rewards Plus Amex | 10kAmex Business Cash | 10k

Loans
Ford Credit Car Loan 2-year 6/22/2023 ($299/month)
Closed
Michigan Schools & Gov't CU Titanium 1/4/2019 - 10/2/2020
Ford Credit Car Loan 3-year 7/31/2018-6/6/2021
$1,500 Discover Card 10/2/2020 - 8/18/2021
$3,500 Citi DC 10/14/2020 - 12/11/2021
$8,000 DCU Personal Loan 5-year 5.99% 10/2/2020 - 4/30/2021
$8,000 NFCU CashRewards 1/2/2021 - 7/30/2022
$5,000 MSGCU Personal Loan 3-year 7.75% 4/22/2022 - 10/30/2022
Ford Credit Car Loan 2-year 6/7/2021 - 6/22/2023
Message 8 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would love to have my very own Amex though. Does anyone here think that Amex would give me a shot at one of their cards? Im currently an authorized user on two Amex cards (platinum & delta). So, right now I have about 5 yrs+ of authorized user credit plus my own with Citi for 3 months now. If yall think I should pull the trigger (I only have 2 hp's from Citi on my cr's so I can afford to take another hit) then my question is... should I pull the trigger now OR should I wait until Citi reports my new credit line of 4k? Or should I just hold off altogether and continue to build up my Citi credit card?

Thanks for everyones replies guys!

Message 9 of 16
800FICOGoal
Established Contributor

Congrats on the nice increase!!!

Rebuild Cards

Goal Cards

Loans
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.